Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: What Hand Would You Take Every Time?

Worst hand I would take every time, JTs. It's a hand that plays okay across different table styles (played in different manners at each table obviously). [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2007, 03:26 PM

For cash games I'd say 22. I don't think I could beat my current rate at the stakes I play without the ability to play sets. This is probably a limitation due to my level of skill.

For tournaments I'd say JTs since sets are less benificial, it's a hand that has nice implied odds when playing deep, and it's good enough for stealing and restealing when the stacks get shorter.

I am probably wrong on both counts, though. I'm not good at these kinds of questions [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 01-16-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Near Kuwait

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For those who said, the worst hand that gives a +ev. I think this analysis is wrong. Let's say that a specific hand has an ev of +$.01 per hand, overall. I wouldn't sit down at a table if I knew that I'd be dealt this every time, making $0.30-$0.40 per hour, just isn't worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right; too bad no one said that. What I said was where winrate > overall.

[/ QUOTE ]What pair of cards represents the average value of cards a hold 'em player will be dealt over the long run, irrespective of his poker ability?

[/ QUOTE ]

By average do you mean median? If so that wouldn't be very helpful because good players play much less than 1/2 their hands (more like 1/5-1/4th in fullring).
Old 01-16-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This question should be really easy to figure out empirically with a robust pokertracker database by just looking at the hands that have winrate/hand close to ones overall winrate/hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this method will actually end up saying you should take fewer hands than you should. This is because your play will improve much faster when you only have to learn one hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, that method is only airtight if you have a large enough db and don't know that this is going on after you agree to the deal.

Also, another thing that occurs to me: if you DO know what's going on, you don't have to vary your play anymore (because your opponents forget). This would probably add a little bit to some hands for me, because for example there are a few that I would limp UTG except limping UTG would narrow my range down to about 3-4 hands (so I raise or fold them instead).
Old 01-17-2007, 02:10 AM

9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], or else any low-mid suited two - three gappers ~ such as 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
any low-mid suited two - three gappers

[/ QUOTE ]

You either have a -EV or play a lot better than me. hmmm... both could be true. You do understand that you must do better than you do now. So by selecting a hand like 8-5s you are actually taking a hand that is worse than a random hand you would get ~60% of the time. And only plays well (sometimes) in unraised multi-way pots. Unless of course you are a player that gets called on every street no matter what. And a beautiful player I might add.

leaponthis
Old 01-17-2007, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I win .03 BB / hand with 98s

[/ QUOTE ]So what is the worst hand you'd be willing to play for the rest of your life all the time (under the premises Sklansky described above, i.e. amnesia, etc) ?

I'm guessing your threshold would be lower than 99, right? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2007, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Near Kuwait

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
J8o

[/ QUOTE ] Every time? KK.

If betting is capped before it gets to me, I'm folding AJo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that if you were guaranteed to be dealt QQ for the rest of your life, every time you are dealt cards (with amnesia for everybody about what you held before, etc) you would rather quit hold 'em ?

Same question for AJo.

Read the OP again.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You do understand that you must do better than you do now.

[/ QUOTE ]Your choice of life-time hand does not change your quality of play, or your style. (Remember : amnesia, etc.) How "I do now" is a factor of many things. E.g. I could be a bad player - but this is not about improving my play. It's improving marginally the quality of my hands - just marginally.

Every player gets, in the long run, the same distribution of hands. We are asked to choose what hand would represent the next step above our average value hand.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We are asked to choose what hand would represent the next step above our average value hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. We are asked which is the worse hand dealt in every hand that would result in a greater profit than we currently make.

leaponthis