Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 09:20 PM

Default Re: My Story + An Offer (HOLY BALLS LONG)

- Experience at all forms of poker:
NL Cash Games: Not a lot of experience. Crushed $50 NL 6-Max on Partypoker for around $1300 over 8-10K hands right before they closed to US players.
MTTs: Tons of experience at $0-20 MTTs. I feel this is the strongest part of my game right now. I crushed PokerStars 10/180's for a while (sharkscope ASPoker8), had a 2nd in a large $10 FO on Full Tilt, and a 2nd in a $30 FO on UB.
SNGs: Switched to exclusively SNG's for 2007 and have played around 150 $11+1 Turbo's on FTP this month running at around 20-30% ROI.

- Most tables you can see yourself playing: 8-10
- Current bankroll: $4000
- What you expect to get out of this arrangement:
First and foremost, I want to be able to learn as much as humanly possible. I understand that cash games are the most profitable of poker endeavors. I am too much of a nit to hire a coach, but I have always wanted someone to introduce me to cash games. I feel like I am a slight winner at $100 NL at the moment, but I would love to be able to learn optimal strategy and some of the more advanced concepts in terms of theory. My current game is solid in terms of basic poker strategy, but I feel like this would be the perfect opportunity to take a shot I would not be able to take without a situation like this.

- References: AJunglen7, Skier_5, AACardPlayer

Disclaimer: I am relatively unknown in STTF as I have only recently switched to SNG's. I am always available and always on AIM. I have PokerTracker and PAHUD and would be willing to play on any site you prefer (that accepts US players). I know you would probably prefer a student you know, but I feel there is no harm in at least throwing my name in the air as this opportunity is so unique.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:10 PM

Default Personal Assistant needed...

In the spirit of Classified ads and giving back to the community and such, if anyone knows a person who wants to be my personal assistant for $15/hr in the Chicago area, PM me. All that is involved is doing laundry and running other errands.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:18 PM

- Experience at all forms of poker: Started out with Dealer’s Choice home games in High School. In 2003 I opened an account with $50, lost that, and then reloaded for $50 more. Read Hold'em Poker by some guy named Sklansky, and then totally crushed the .25/.50 limit game for $100. I eventually worked my way up to the $2/$4 game before I discovered STTs and the STTF. (Confession…I posted my stats like a noob after the first 100 SnGs.) A couple thousand $11-$55 SnGs later, here I am. Sprinkled in during this time were about 200 MTTs, and a couple thousand hands of O/8. While I’ve won at each of these, I haven’t won much more than minimum wage/hour.

- Most tables you can see yourself playing: I can handle quite a few tables…I used to 14 table the $2/$4 limit game at Party/Empire when MTH was first released. I now use TableNavigator with an Xbox controller.

- Current bankroll: $2,000+

- What you expect to get out of this arrangement: I hope to obtain a skill for life. STTs aren’t quite as profitable as they once were. Limit is dead. I think NLH cash games will be profitable forever (at least the B&M games will be).
I will also to offer to “Pay it back” by taking on two other STTF students once I master NLH cash games. I think it is the only decent thing to do. If you do not select me, at least consider the idea of a “Pay it back” requirement for your selections.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:29 PM

Yo, check it-

I just wanna give a shoutout to my main man, Mcshove

Respeck
Old 01-11-2007, 10:39 PM

Hey...

I'd definitely be interested. My main reason for interest is that I really want to learn NL cash from a consistent winner. I'm starting to tire of SnG's and wanting to transition into a form of poker that's more viable live.

Experience in poker:
Summer '03-Summer '05, LHE. Started off reading a few books, was a breakeven player. Discovered 2+2 and lurked, discovered online tools like PT, became a 1.5 bb/100 player at the 3/6 level. Went pro (semi-pro, actually, because I do earn some money from music) in May '05.
Summer '05-Present, SnG's. Devoured this forum, became active posting, worked my way from 11's up to 60's...that's my most comfortable level, though I have been profitable up through the 100 level (109, 114, etc.). Bought house and pimp engagement ring with profits, as well as supporting a fairly expensive overall lifestyle with my fiancee. Poker's treated me well, I'm comfortable, but looking to learn other things.

I can 8-table with no problems, I have 12-tabled from time to time and it seems not that hard.

Current bankroll: 5 G's.

What I expect: to get a quality start on a new kind of game that I've been interested in (but ultimately, haven't yet) gotten into.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:44 PM

Warning: Very long, but I didn't want to short you of information.

<u>Age:</u>

<u>Poker Experience:</u>

Not much. I'm a chess addict converted to Poker by some of my good Air Force buddies. I started playing seriously last September, and began playing 1/2 LHE. I learned most of what I knew initially from this site. I read every lesson in one sitting, and thought I was ready to play.

Couple weeks later, and 200 dollars down (from an initial deposit of 250), I figured I was missing something (Proof that I can be taught). I scoured that initially linked site, and found a link to a forum that he described as the best poker forum on the web. I clicked on the link (to 2p2 of course) and immediately became hooked. So much information, and all free. I started in the most obvious forum (Beginners) and read everything and anything. That's when I came across Sklansky's books, and of course ordered a bunch (GSHE, HEPAP, SSHE, TOP, etc). I read them all cover to cover in the next week and a half.

I went back to LHE (and started winning), but realized something was still missing. I was bored. I could win money, but I couldn't have any fun. There was no room to really outplay someone. So I made the switch to tournament play.

Of course, as a player growing up in the ESPN Poker world, I figured MTT's were the way to go. However, I didn't want to play for hours on end and see no benefit. So I decided on 27 Man SnG's. I was an overall winner at these, but over a very small sample size (40-50). I spent most of my time in the MTT forum, but never felt welcome, or comfortable. That's when I noticed STT's. They seemed very similar to what I was used to playing live (mostly home games) and very much suited to my strength's (technical play coupled with very good math skills).

That's when I discovered you STTf'ers. I realized I had found an online home. I devoured the stickie posts, then read almost every single strategy post I could find on the first 4-5 pages. Once I played a few $11 dollar STT's, I decided to start posting/responding to hands. At that time, I was mostly grunching responses, and surprisingly, a lot of my responses were similar to the respected posters. That's when I decided that I maybe had some ability. I took advantage of a Pokerstars deposit bonus, played a bunch of LHE (still my most comfortable game), built my roll to an acceptable level for $11's, and started playing.

I ran incredibly hot, and doubled my roll in less than a month (I was two tabling). I tripled it during the next month, and decided I was ready to move up to $22's. All this time, I'm studying, reading, posting, and overall working on my game. I can feel it getting better. I'm upping my table count, and max out 6 tabling the $22's. Then I hit the wall. I go on a massive downswing (for my stake and roll), dropping back to where I had to move down.

Now I'm 10 tabling $11's, still learning, and getting better. I'm on a break even streak, but I know I'm playing decent (not perfect, but decent) poker. I'm plugging my leaks, and mostly because of people on this site. However, I still find myself missing something. I'll discuss that in the what I expect to get out of this arrangement section.

<u>Current bankroll:</u>

$1000 (but pretty much unlimited deposits as I do have a day job)

<u>Most tables I can see myself playing:</u>

4-6. I don't see the point to play more than that in cash games. Too many postflop decisions, and not enough time to make the correct ones.

<u>What I expect to get out of this arrangement:</u>

I really do enjoy playing post flop poker. I enjoy thinking, and I really enjoy out thinking my opponent. The opportunities to do this in STT's (especially low stake STT's) are limited. So I've been dabbling in cash. I enjoy it immensely, and I want to get better at it.

That's why I'm applying. Not for the money (which I don't need), not for any type of fame (which I don't want), and not for respect (I have that in spades). I want to get better because I love the game. I love the thrill of flipping cards and realizing I read my opponent perfectly, and got my money in good. I love knowing that even if I lose a pot, I still out thought, and out played my opponent.

I'm a quick learner, and very easy to teach. I'm dependable, and hard working. I can be stubborn, but do you really want someone without a backbone? I don't need to be staked, but if you feel more comfortable with that, I certainly don't care one way or another. I'm in it to learn and get better.. money is not an issue.

<u>References:</u>

I don't know anyone personally. I've talked to GKA a few times, PMed Bluefeet a few times, but I wouldn't want to put them on the spot and ask them to refer someone they don't really know.

What I can do is tell you who I am. I'm an Air Force Staff Sergeant. I've been in 5 years, and have earned the trust and respect of my peers, subordinates, and supervisors alike. I can easily prove that I'm in the Air Force, but the trust part is up to you. To be honest, I don't think I have a chance in hell of being picked, but I couldn't see myself passing up an opportunity to learn more about this game, and what it takes to be a winner.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey...

I'd definitely be interested. My main reason for interest is that I really want to learn NL cash from a consistent winner. I'm starting to tire of SnG's and wanting to transition into a form of poker that's more viable live.

Experience in poker:
Summer '03-Summer '05, LHE. Started off reading a few books, was a breakeven player. Discovered 2+2 and lurked, discovered online tools like PT, became a 1.5 bb/100 player at the 3/6 level. Went pro (semi-pro, actually, because I do earn some money from music) in May '05.
Summer '05-Present, SnG's. Devoured this forum, became active posting, worked my way from 11's up to 60's...that's my most comfortable level, though I have been profitable up through the 100 level (109, 114, etc.). Bought house and pimp engagement ring with profits, as well as supporting a fairly expensive overall lifestyle with my fiancee. Poker's treated me well, I'm comfortable, but looking to learn other things.

I can 8-table with no problems, I have 12-tabled from time to time and it seems not that hard.

What I expect: to get a quality start on a new kind of game that I've been interested in (but ultimately, haven't yet) gotten into.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is 5g's 50 thousand or 500 hundred thousand? How did you manage to buy a house and other stuff if your bankroll 5g which is 5 thousand right? I thought you would have a bigger bankroll.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:46 PM

Age - 19

Experience at all forms of poker -
I've been playing/studying at .25/.50 or .50/1 LHE, 25NL, and 3.40 SnG's alternately at stars for about a year. Without bragging, I'm very mathematically oriented and have zero trouble with this part of the game. But my intuition/pattern recognition of other players is lagging, and I'm kind of spinning my wheels in the mud. I deposited 250 dollars, made 100, lost 150, etc. etc. I've never gone busto but never been above 400. So i've basically been trying to learn but going nowhere.

Max tables - I could probably 8-table with no problem

Current bankroll - Around 500

I hope to master the parts of poker that aren't memorizing hand requirements and pot odds. I hope to be able to gain that fundamental skill of what essentially is pattern recognition, what a 1/2pot bet from a certain player means opposed to a pot bet or other countless subtelties. I'd be lying if I said being a huge NL balla wouldn't be awesome, but primarily I want the satisfaction of mastering an incredibly complex game. SOOOOOO many people claim to 'know' NLHE, but very few can actually consistently play for a good profit. I love the challenge of self-improvement, and want to learn in order to better my game and myself in the process.

Clayton can vouch for me, he is the only 2p2er I know in real life. I can also get further recommendations that would be acceptable, I'm sure.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey...

Experience in poker:

[/ QUOTE ]

Is 5g's 50 thousand or 500 hundred thousand? How did you manage to buy a house and other stuff if your bankroll 5g which is 5 thousand right? I thought you would have a bigger bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, who is this and what do you care about my bankroll for?

Second of all, my bankroll has been as large as about 12k for higher-buyin SnG's. But 60 is where I've been most comfortable (plus it's easy to more massively multitable there), and I only feel I need about 5k to handle the 60's. I cashout the profits, so it's no longer a part of my bankroll. Getting it yet?

I was able to buy a house because I have a house payment. All I was saying is that poker has been good enough to me for me to be able to afford a house payment on a pretty sick place (2800 Sq. feet in a desirable suburb of Dallas).

Oh, and Pasterbator...my coach for SnG's was Degen if that has any impact on your decision.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey...

Experience in poker:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, who is this and what do you care about my bankroll for?

Second of all, my bankroll has been as large as about 12k for higher-buyin SnG's. But 60 is where I've been most comfortable (plus it's easy to more massively multitable there), and I only feel I need about 5k to handle the 60's. I cashout the profits, so it's no longer a part of my bankroll. Getting it yet?

I was able to buy a house because I have a house payment. All I was saying is that poker has been good enough to me for me to be able to afford a house payment on a pretty sick place (2800 Sq. feet in a desirable suburb of Dallas).

Oh, and Pasterbator...my coach for SnG's was Degen if that has any impact on your decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice sorry I'm just wondering because most people keep alot of it in there bankroll =0. Sorry if I offended you. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]