Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Re: The Wire -- What Am I Missing?

Al,

Yeah, that's pretty obvious, but that doesn't excuse him from being unaware that the show was actually being broadcast.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this love for The Wire new? It took forever for season 3 to come out on DVD or for season 4 to be released. Why all this talk on the Internet about how great the show is?

Also, when is season 4 going to be released on DVD? Tvshowsondvd.com has no information. I have season 3 on DVD, but I haven't watched it yet, waiting for season 4 to come out so I can watch both.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand anything about this post.

You're aware that TV shows are typically shown like, on television?

And why wait to watch 3? That's odd, plus I think there's a bit of a benefit in terms of not just watching it all back to back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't have to be a condescending ass about this. Of course I'm aware that TV shows air on TV.

My comment was simple:

The first three seasons of the Wire air and no one cares. HBO waits forever to release it on DVD (in contrast, they release the Sopranos on DVD fairly quickly).

All of a sudden, season 4 starts, and the Internet is lighting up about how great the show is.

There is nothing that physically prevents HBO from releasing the show on DVD within a few months of it airing. I read on some message board that the reason they didn't release season 3 on DVD for so long was because of low demand. All of a sudden, the Wire seems to gain an Internet buzz.

As for why I want to watch season 3 and 4 together, it's just because I don't like delays between shows that build off each other. E.g., when the Sopranos takes its usual 8 years between seasons, I forget what happened in the previous season. But if I watch season 3 and season 4 back to back, everything will be fresh.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:20 PM

The Wire is substantially overrated by a lot of posters here, but saying The Shield is better is pretty retarded.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think part of the problem is that about 229387 people said, "OMFG TEH WIRE IS THE BEST SHOW EVAR" before I watched even a single episode.

My expectations were probably a little out of whack.

[/ QUOTE ]

For this reason I expected to not like it or at least not think it was the best show out there but after watching I still found it to be brilliant, which is a pretty big testament to how good it is.

For the OP, The Wire got an average rating of 9.8/10 on IMDB. The group that liked it least with a rating of 7.8 was females over 45 which is understandable with all the profanity and sexual content. Are you a grandma OP?
Old 01-08-2007, 05:46 PM

Finish the season, then come back to us.

Seriously, you won't regret it.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:02 PM

I really liked the wire at first, and then started to love at as soon as <font color="white">Wallace</font> got capped (even though he was my favorite) and <font color="white">Omar</font> developed in to such a badass.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Finish the season, then come back to us.

Seriously, you won't regret it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I resist the temptation to debate with folks about it. I'm so personally skewed towards it's brilliance, I can't possibly be impartial.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Wire is substantially underrated by a couple posters and saying The Shield is better is pretty retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

-Al
Old 01-08-2007, 06:24 PM

For those of you suggesting The Wire is overrated, what do you think is better?
Old 01-08-2007, 07:53 PM

please allow me to briefly hijack OP by saying '24' is the biggest [censored] joke of a television show EVER...I'm almost tempted to say anyone who thinks it's a great show is a [censored] retard, but some smart people I know like it. I watch it in the background while I grind, but it's like a mindless drug with no high.

The Wire is inarguably the best TV drama ever made, and it dwarfs the acheivements of all others by leaps and bounds. From conception to execution, it encompasses more detail and truth than anything ever put out on tv and most cinema, too.

Based on your list of shows, you seem to favor fantasy over reality, and perhaps that's why you don't enjoy the Wire.