Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 04:03 PM

Default \"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sample rebuttal of the "allegations" against Christian religion. The author rebutts the "allegation" that Easter was adopted from pagan custom :

[ QUOTE ]
The largest danger in the ancient world for the Israelites was idolatry. Now consider this situation: Everyone else around them was celebrating at the Spring Equinox, doing all the usual orgiastic things. Now as a parallel, if you are in a business, and your rival business is having a big sale on April 10, how might you get something out of that and also deflect your rival's success? The answer: Hold an even bigger sale the same day. And that's the "why" of Passover being scheduled on the Spring Equinox (and by this I also mean that God intended it that way when He timed the plagues of Egypt).

[/ QUOTE ]

Lame-o land.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a link? The quote you gave references the Passover and Exodus, not Christianity.

[/ QUOTE ]

The title of the page is "Easter a pagan holiday?" This is an absolutely horrible refutation of the allegation. Also, I believe it is fairly well established that some of the holidays are "borrowed" from Pagan celebrations, no? And IMO, there is no problem with that. It seems perfectly reasonable and logical for a religion to borrow from others, particularly when trying to convert the masses. The fact that the author decides to try to refute these points seems overly defensive and unnecessary. Why make up terrible analogies like the above unless he feels threatened?
Old 01-08-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Biggus Dickus

[ QUOTE ]
lewis black (comedian) does a hilarious stand up routine that highlights this point very well by comparing hanukkah and christmas from the perspective of his jewish childhood.

[/ QUOTE ]After Life of Brian what more can be said on messiahs?
Old 01-08-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Re: \"

[ QUOTE ]

This is an absolutely horrible refutation of the allegation.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty weak. I've said before I don't agree with everything Holding says. This is also something of a rabbit trail (hmm, was that pun intended?).

[ QUOTE ]

The fact that the author decides to try to refute these points seems overly defensive and unnecessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is his reasoning which I believe is much better than his refutation. He probably should have stopped with this paragraph.

[ QUOTE ]

Some caution is due here as there is little to disagree with in terms of certain aspects of what we call "Easter" being of non-Christian origin (eggs, wabbits, etc.); where the line must be drawn is in the allegation that the elements of what we call "Easter" associated with the Resurrection of Christ are also tied to pagan origins.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-08-2007, 05:10 PM

Default Re: \"

Agreed.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Jesus, Myth, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And surprise! Many books have recently been written on the subject of Christianity's pagan influences by a variety of PhDs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was the book you referenced here Philippe's Christianity, etc.? If so, have you read it?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are hundreds of books discussing the pagan influences on Judaism and Christianity, from the Torah and Kabbalah to the story of Jesus and Roman Catholicism. In terms of what I've read, Masks of God is probably at the top of the list. Campbell may be controversial, but nobody in their right mind would say his ideas are "dead" - he's probably the most influential and certainly the most prestigious contemporary mythological scholar. But the links are so well-accepted that it's just insulting for someone to claim they're debunked. Suggesting that no intelligent anthropoligst believes Judaism and Christianity originated with pagan religions is like suggesting that no intelligent biologist believes life originated on earth. It doesn't do a lot for your claim that you're interested in an honest debate.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There are hundreds of books discussing the pagan influences on Judaism and Christianity

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I asked the question you haven't answered is because the book you linked has nothing to do with the issue. Unless you have some specific argument and evidence there is no debate.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Suggesting that no intelligent anthropoligst believes Judaism and Christianity originated with pagan religions is like suggesting that no intelligent biologist believes life originated on earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Madnak:

The origins of Christianity are not mysterious. Or are you talking about the practices, such as communion, etc.?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:10 PM

I linked an Amazon search for "origins of Christianity," not a book.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Suggesting that no intelligent anthropoligst believes Judaism and Christianity originated with pagan religions is like suggesting that no intelligent biologist believes life originated on earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Madnak:

The origins of Christianity are not mysterious. Or are you talking about the practices, such as communion, etc.?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm talking about both, but primarily the origins. And yeah, they're definitely controversial. Given that Christians think God was the major source and everyone else disagrees.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm talking about both, but primarily the origins. And yeah, they're definitely controversial. Given that Christians think God was the major source and everyone else disagrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Christianity began as a movement within Judaism. And scholars don't "disagree" that God was the source. They say that these questions are not within their purview.