Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Green Out at Zona

[ QUOTE ]
So is that why Dennis Erickson took the college job there? To be a God?

[/ QUOTE ]

The SunDevils have been good before...Cards haven't short of the one playoff trip with Plummer.

Rod Graves is apparantly a good friend with Ron Rivera so he may push hard for him over Chow and co.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:38 PM

Deadspin says that Carroll is now a legit choice for the Cards.

One thing I don't get: Carroll has already been an NFL head coach. He tried, he failed. He went back to college where he was a perfect fit for the young game, and found a great program like USC. He has the name, the recruiting, the staff, the money, and the skills. No doubt one of the top 5 coaches in college football today.

But why do people think he's now automatically going to be some awesome NFL head coach? I'm gonna feel bad for him if he tries going pro again and fails again. He won't be able to find another sweet gig like USC.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna feel bad for him if he tries going pro again and fails again. He will be inundated by many college teams offering him another sweet gig like USC and a ton of money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-03-2007, 06:05 PM

Any coach that takes the Zona job has an offense that is ready to go. Plug in a FA Olineman and your good to go on offense. The defense needs work but if Herm Edwards can make the Chiefs a decent defensive team I'm sure it can happen again. The division is also very week, depending on what happens in the offseason. I think this might be the most attractive position out of any College or Pro head coaching jobs.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna feel bad for him if he tries going pro again and fails again. He will be inundated by many college teams offering him another sweet gig like USC and a ton of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This "many college teams" with a program as sweet as USC's... it just doesn't exist. USC is a top 10 football school, if not top 5, and I doubt Ohio State and Notre Dame are just going to dump their coaches for a chance at Carroll if he fails in Arizona.

Of course he could find a coaching job in the NCAA again. But you seem to be underrating what he's got going for him right now.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Deadspin says that Carroll is now a legit choice for the Cards.

One thing I don't get: Carroll has already been an NFL head coach. He tried, he failed. He went back to college where he was a perfect fit for the young game, and found a great program like USC. He has the name, the recruiting, the staff, the money, and the skills. No doubt one of the top 5 coaches in college football today.

But why do people think he's now automatically going to be some awesome NFL head coach? I'm gonna feel bad for him if he tries going pro again and fails again. He won't be able to find another sweet gig like USC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Carroll has 0% chance of being the AZ head coach given he would not have complete control. Besides he's on vacation and hasn't put any feelers out about wanting to return to the NFL.

I'd put the chances of PC coaching in the NFL next year at less than 1%.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any coach that takes the Zona job has an offense that is ready to go. Plug in a FA Olineman and your good to go on offense. The defense needs work but if Herm Edwards can make the Chiefs a decent defensive team I'm sure it can happen again. The division is also very week, depending on what happens in the offseason. I think this might be the most attractive position out of any College or Pro head coaching jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this and we have talent on defense. Adrian Wilson, Rolle, BBerry, Chiki Okafour, Karlos Dansby etc

I've thought about it and I think Ron Rivera is the best choice. Hire a solid up and coming O-cordinator to run the offense and then improve the D.

It is probably close to being the best gig.
Great city to live in, the town is dying for a winning football team but would be overjoyed if we simply reached the playoffs, brand new state of the art stadium, the owners haven't opened up their once stingy pockets to grab top FA's, huge cap room over the next several years, all of your young stars are signed to long term deals. etc etc
Old 01-03-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both Rob and Rex Ryan need to be coaching somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a big fan of one them getting the job in AZ. Besides the fact that their Dad coached their for a while, the team really needs some help on defense. Maybe they could be Co HC/DCs [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2007, 06:29 PM

Close to being the best gig? I think it is far and away the best gig. There is a ton of young talent on the team, they are in a weak division and as a result they have the easiest schedule in the NFL next year and they also have loyal fans who aren't used to winning... ever...

A good defensive minded coach with the help of a good QB and OL coach to run the offense should be able to make the playoffs next year... The only downside is that they have dumb ownership, but even the Bidwells seems to be shaping up or starting to learn the business or something.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:43 PM

Apparently, the Cardinals were ready to offer Mike Sherman the job untill they found out he wanted $4 Million a year.