Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2006, 10:19 AM

Default Re: What would you do?

[ QUOTE ]
[censored] clawing at him. Rear naked choke it. This keeps it in front of you with a pretty good grip and you can fall to your back and wrap your legs around his body to keep him in one place. Hold till the dog passes out and then stomp its head in. Get the child some medical treatment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really doubt this is going to work. Pitbulls' necks are like solid muscle. You can't even get to its throat. These dogs have incredible jaws and their necks are designed by to protect their throats. No way you're choking him out. Hopefully you can keep him from eating you and the kid until someone gets a gun.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the situation is a no brainer, any adult male should be able to fairly easily contain an adult male pitbull with little risk of serious injury to himself. the situation changes if it was a group of 3 or more dogs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close to true. A dog like that can bite off a few fingers pretty easily, as well as crush some bones and mangle some tendons. And that's in one or two bites! A few seconds. If you don't expect some serious injury in this situation, you're underestimating the dog.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You straddle it, and grab the front legs and wrench them apart, breaking them. Then you try and pull it off the guy, yell at him to move away, and then thow the dog down. This should stop it moving around. You can then bash its brains in with a tire iron or similar (for compassion's sake - it's gonna be in agony).

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a plan that puts first your balls and then your neck right up close to his jaws.

Count me out.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never fought a dog or seen a pitbull in action before, but it would seem to me you could just run up and give it a really hard kick to the head as it was attacking the child. How would this not work?

[/ QUOTE ]

They've got pretty thick skulls, and a kick might not be all that easy to land square. I'm picturing your foot caroming off the dog's head and landing in the kid's face.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Id probably just dive onto the dogs back and try to choke it out a little while dragging it off the kid. Im sure I would be able to avoid serious injury until help arrived.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dogs heads are pretty mobile and they can jerk their bodies around very hard. I could easily see you losing your face on this one.

Answers that involve putting your face and neck by the dog's jaws are really bad ones.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You straddle it, and grab the front legs and wrench them apart, breaking them. Then you try and pull it off the guy, yell at him to move away, and then thow the dog down. This should stop it moving around. You can then bash its brains in with a tire iron or similar (for compassion's sake - it's gonna be in agony).

[/ QUOTE ]

why in the world would you do it this way? this makes zero sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember being told that someone who was trained to fight dogs took out a police dog in a similar way. He would lie down on the ground, wait until the dog approaches him and stands right over him, then grab the forelegs wrenching them apart. That was during a demonstration.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the dog is just standing there?

And you're letting him get his head within inches of your throat, voluntarily?

No thanks.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:43 AM

Run up and kick the dog in the nuts, preferably from behind. I would be yelling and screaming my head off. Anything to distract the dog from the kid. Hopefully the kid can get away. My plan is to not get in close quarters with the dog if possible.

If this is a typical street and I have what I normally walk around with, I should be able to hold the dog at bay (garbage can) or will try climb up a tree or on top of a car.

The key is to save the kid, not kill the dog. Once the kid is safe then I trying to maintain distance from the animal.

BTW - My brother has two bull mastiffs and I would not want to mess with them (both over 6ft tall on their hind legs and weigh about 140 lbs) if they were pissed about anything.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:47 AM

I've play-fought with these kinds of dogs before and they are STRONG. I doubt most adult males would be able to subdue it without significant risk of injury.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[censored] clawing at him. Rear naked choke it. This keeps it in front of you with a pretty good grip and you can fall to your back and wrap your legs around his body to keep him in one place. Hold till the dog passes out and then stomp its head in. Get the child some medical treatment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really doubt this is going to work. Pitbulls' necks are like solid muscle. You can't even get to its throat. These dogs have incredible jaws and their necks are designed by to protect their throats. No way you're choking him out. Hopefully you can keep him from eating you and the kid until someone gets a gun.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't need to get to his throat. A rear naked choke (strangle might be a better term) cuts off blood to the brain by squeezing the arteries shut. No blood to the brain = pass out. If I wanted I could hold it on till the dog died, but once it's passed out it's not a threat so tending to the child would be the most important thing.

I think the RNC is good here because it keeps the business end of the pitbull facing away from you, allows a firm solid grip (especially if you wrap your legs around it), and doesn't take that much effort to apply. If you don't believe me, find a judo/jiu jitsu school and tell them you think the rear naked choke doesn't work.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't expect some serious injury in this situation, you're underestimating the dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of people in this thread don't understand what they're dealing with here. When I was a kid, the neighbors behind us had a pitbull. The neighbors beside us had two big german shepards. The pit dug under the corner of the fence killed both sheperds and then dragged their carcasses back under the fence. These sheperds were pretty big dogs. They were probably around 85 lb. apiece.

These are dogs that were bred to fight to the death. They bite something and don't let go. Once they lock on, you might be able to get them loose with a cattle prod. That's the only thing short of shooting it that I can think of. If I remember right, their bite is like 800 psi. They exercise their jaws by hanging from trees for christ sake. They're solid muscle, and have tiny little brains inside thick skulls. Unless you're wearing steel toes, you're not going to crack this dog's ribs, and if you do he's too stupid to feel it anyway. These things are made for fighting and killing.

disclaimer: i'm not trying to start some kind of should we outlaw the breed discussion. just telling people they're way underestimating these dogs.