Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 09:29 PM

Default Re: ACists in Politics

[ QUOTE ]
It's gotten to the point that the Politics Forum has become something different than what I want it to be.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-19-2006, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's gotten to the point that the Politics Forum has become something different than what I want it to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, pvn.......

Blow it out urass! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Merry Christmas

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2006, 11:38 PM

I have no idea what forum you people are reading, but it certainly isn't the 2+2 Politics forum. Get a life and quit whining. There are plenty of contentless threads about which indistinguishable political particles are or are not running for Head Thug.

If you can't stand someone who actually invokes logical argumentation or who actually chooses to consistently apply their principles, just put us on ignore.

Want to know why I rarely post in politics anymore? All of the bitching and moaning about the threads that actually contain the content.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea what forum you people are reading, but it certainly isn't the 2+2 Politics forum. Get a life and quit whining. There are plenty of contentless threads about which indistinguishable political particles are or are not running for Head Thug.

If you can't stand someone who actually invokes logical argumentation or who actually chooses to consistently apply their principles, just put us on ignore.

Want to know why I rarely post in politics anymore? All of the bitching and moaning about the threads that actually contain the content.

[/ QUOTE ]

....dog,

I am surprised at your response. Did you read my post? I didn't think that I was whining.....just stating an opinion.

I expect that someone with your background can surely tell the difference, and also has both the capacity and experience to know that one man's political ideology can be another's drivel.

As far as putting posters on ignore? I don't believe that ignoring dissonant opinion works.....it appears that you do in this regard.

I gotta tell ya....You're a college professor, correct? What do you think your colleagues would say about "putting someone on ignore"?
Old 12-20-2006, 01:14 PM

Myrtle,

I was responding to the general level of whining in the thread; yours simply happened to be the last post.

I ignore people when it becomes clear that they are simply trolls. If, as the level of bitching and moaning in this thread suggests, these people think "ACists" are simply kooks that troll every thread, just put us on ignore. Problem solved.

We ignore people all the time in academia. One year everyone in the physics department at NCSU got a copy of an unpublished (and unpublishable) paper by some nut who had his very own version of physics. We laughed and chucked them into the circular file. Life is too short to spend it worrying about kooks. If the bitchers and whiners and moaners think that the free marketers are kooks, they should simply put us on ignore and go about their lives of blissful ignorance.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:24 PM

And I really wasn't kidding about not knowing what forum these people are reading. A cursory perusal of Politics will reveal a bunch of threads with little or no "ACist" presence at all, and a bunch of specifically AC threads, started by "ACists" or someone asking a question about the philosophy, which are then trolled by the current crop of usual suspects (skidoo, smasharoo, dano, etc).
Old 12-20-2006, 05:43 PM

And it's not like the Politics forum was this shining example to other forums before the AC became a huge topic. It seemed to mostly consist of "I think Bush is worse than Hitler and the devil" or "Here's why Bush is God's gift to the U.S.". And that "debate" has never left, it just has to compete (hehe) with another debate that has actually changed a few minds. How many people were Democrats before reading Politics and have since turned Republican or vice versa (based on reading the forum, not on current events)?
Old 12-20-2006, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Myrtle,

I was responding to the general level of whining in the thread; yours simply happened to be the last post.

I ignore people when it becomes clear that they are simply trolls. If, as the level of bitching and moaning in this thread suggests, these people think "ACists" are simply kooks that troll every thread, just put us on ignore. Problem solved.

We ignore people all the time in academia. One year everyone in the physics department at NCSU got a copy of an unpublished (and unpublishable) paper by some nut who had his very own version of physics. We laughed and chucked them into the circular file. Life is too short to spend it worrying about kooks. If the bitchers and whiners and moaners think that the free marketers are kooks, they should simply put us on ignore and go about their lives of blissful ignorance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, dog.....Thanks for the explanation.

For a second there I thought that you were grouping any that disagreed with the AC position as 'kooks', and that surprised me coming from you, as you are often on the receiving end of that kind of over-generalized name-calling.

As far as ignoring people in academia, you appropriately point out an example of ignoring AFTER your kook's paper was examined and found to have no validity using the scientific method to examine it.

I don't know whether each & every AC'er that posts in the Political Forum is a kook. I don't know (and neither do you) what truly motivates any other poster. All either of us can do is take what any of us says at face value, and attempt to stay on topic.

I will again agree with the 'sentiment' of the OP by offering an opinion that not AC'ers see it the same way every time, and some that post here have different agendae
from others.