Not Cool 16 10.74%
Metro-but OK 60 40.27%
Meh -They suck 29 19.46%
Go back to the Hell of Boiling Water 12 8.05%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2006, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Murder or deportation?

Dementia,

I clearly used an extreme example. It depends on the condition of the island and how the killing would be done. I'm not saying someone is no longer a "stranger" when you see them. But I find it hard to believe that almost any women would commit brutal killings and that men would. Now if it was a "Push this button and this person who you have no knowledge of of will poof and disappear" or you go live on some dingy horrid island. I think the numbers go the other way.

On the other hand if you are going to an essentially uninhabited resort vs. commit a very graphic and horrid crime in person. I think we see a lot of people pass on this activity. Even extremely morally baseless and shallow people who value their families would be hard pressed to kill a 4 year old child barehanded vs. spending 20 years isolated in a resort in the Carribbean where food/drink can poof and appear.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, even though I thought up this moral question, it does have some similar historic references.

In Germany, under Hitlers reign, a lot of Germans persecuted the jews out of fear for their own safety. Either you were against the jews or one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm no expert - or even well-read, really - on the subject, but my first inclination is that the situation was the exact opposite: many Germans who did not inform on Jews did so because they believed they could get away with it. They didn't take their position with the "20 year exile" as a given.

If you structured your question more as, "A: Kill stranger, you're free; B: don't kill stranger, stand a 75% chance of 20 year exile," I think it would model your historical precedent much more closely.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The question being posed clearly does not involve your own death. We are all assuming that you will ultimately survive your vacation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then it depends on how long you assume you could survive in a "remote uninhabited island" as worded in the OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon man it's a hypothetical these type of details are not important. If he meant "kill the stranger or you die" he would have said that.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The question being posed clearly does not involve your own death. We are all assuming that you will ultimately survive your vacation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then it depends on how long you assume you could survive in a "remote uninhabited island" as worded in the OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is of course expected that you survive your 20 years of exile...
Old 12-05-2006, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
C'mon man it's a hypothetical these type of details are not important. If he meant "kill the stranger or you die" he would have said that.

[/ QUOTE ]
The details are very important if they affect your own livelihood. These 20 years wouldn't be spent on a lavish island where you could relax in a beach house sipping Martinis all day, "remote uninhabited island" to me translates to meaning there are no other human beings and very minimal wild life. No shelter, nothing to protect you from infection since there would be no doctors around you, you would need to rely on your ability to hunt animals down in order to even survive. I don't believe even Rambo could survive under those set of circumstances for 20 years.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How can you expect to survive? By hunting down animals with your bare hand or whatever piercing object you can create for food, and building your own shelter for the next 20 years? Or some unrealistic "you'll just survive". In order for the question to receive the authentic response you cannot keep altering the details to affect peoples sensitivity.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How? By miraculously hunting down deer for 20 years and building a shelter out of wood? Or some unrealistic "you'll just survive". In order for the question to receive the authentic response you cannot keep altering the details to affect peoples sensitivity.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you say you're not a natural contrarian...