Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2006, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Did God Put Ancient Earthquakes On Faults?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, seriously, I question the basic assumption that God would intervene on Earth when bad people do bad things. Where is His +EV? If a sinner's gonna be swimmin' in brimstone for eternity, why does it matter if the punishment starts early? 50 years is literally nothing, when compared to forever. If God kills a youthful sinner, He denies that person a chance to repent and become Heaven-worthy later in life. If He is doing it to scare people into shaping up, then why commit the injustice of arbitrary punishment and invariably killing off some of his own innocent faithful?

[/ QUOTE ]

At the risk of being struck dead here, I don't think competence has ever been a characteristic attributed to God.

He may have an infinite amount of chips (omnipotence), see that you have the killer nuts (omniscience), but push over you anyway. In a way, he may be the world's biggest donk.

-- Bitterness is joy with a bad attitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about that whole perfect, all knowing, all powerful thing? How can god be perfect and incompetent?

[/ QUOTE ]

This creates an interesting question about free will. God could easily arrange that sinners are living above faults when he sets off an earthquake but if he does, do you choose freely to live there?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about I heard he uses this guy David Sklansky to get folks to talk about Him, now that's irony.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said!
Old 12-07-2006, 09:23 PM

punishment is not natural.

"god" wouldnt use it.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:16 AM

What makes you all think that if there's a 'god', he/she/it has any concept of "good" or "bad" as we do? I liked the description of the valheru by feist. When confronted with the question whether what these (al)mighty beings were doing was wrong, they simply responded "Wrong? What is that? We are. We do." Maybe 'god' is, and does.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:37 AM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about I heard he uses this guy David Sklansky to get folks to talk about Him, now that's irony.

Hmmm... not so farfetched. The Bible is replete with examples of God using nonbelievers (or at least their actions) to achieve his objectives.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:00 AM

The main point here seems to have been overlooked. California is on a major fault line and is way overdue for an earthquake of Biblical proportions. All those forest fires?? Those are just warnings. One of these days the God of Abraham and Isaac is going to crack the land of those left wing Hollywood elites open and spill them into the sea. I'm no meteorologist, but if the Californians are right about global warming, which is pretty hard to imagine, maybe the sea will be boiling.