Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2006, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Worst loss in the history of sports?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is more of a heartbreaking loss, but still fun to watch 1994 Texas HS Football

[/ QUOTE ]That was amazing....made even better by the very biased announcing crew.

[/ QUOTE ]

1- The amazingly biased crew was what made that so ridiculously awesome. It would have still been impressive, but not nearly as funny without them.
2- That was a shocker ending...WTF. How in the hell did they let him run that back after that comeback..Hah!
3- Again...awesome. I love how the announcers would be like 'he's going to score here!' when he has 4 guys in front of him and he is 30 yards away still, haha. "Positive Thinking"
Old 11-27-2006, 01:45 PM

I believe the Baylor-UNLV football game in 1999 really beats all. Baylor with the ball up 24-21 on the UNLV goal line with 5 seconds left and UNLV with no timeouts. They elect to run a play and try to punch it in, fumble, UNLV recovers and returns it 101 yards to win the game as time expires.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oilers blow it against the Bills. As I was watching the game (as a neutral observer), I remember thinking "Man, I would hate to be an Oilers fan right now".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Com...ican_football)

[/ QUOTE ]

As a die-hard Oilers fan, I can tell you it was a miserable experience. The worst part about it is that after having lived with the run-n-shoot/chuck-n-duck's inability to hold leads before, my friends and I were pretty much bracing for the inevitable when Buffalo scored to make it 35-10.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:10 PM

Here's one from Division 1-AA: 2002 Furman v App. State - Miracle on the Mountain

Cliff Notes: Furman scores to go up 15-14 with 7 seconds left. They go for 2, Appalachian State intercepts the conversion pass and goes the other way for 2 points.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's one from Division 1-AA: 2002 Furman v App. State - Miracle on the Mountain

Cliff Notes: Furman scores to go up 15-14 with 7 seconds left. They go for 2, Appalachian State intercepts the conversion pass and goes the other way for 2 points.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know you could do this - can this be done in the pros also?
Old 11-27-2006, 02:23 PM

It's not allowed in the NFL.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oilers blow it against the Bills. As I was watching the game (as a neutral observer), I remember thinking "Man, I would hate to be an Oilers fan right now".

[/ QUOTE ]

As a die-hard Oilers fan, I can tell you it was a miserable experience. The worst part about it is that after having lived with our poor defense's inability to hold leads before, my friends and I were pretty much bracing for the inevitable when Buffalo scored to make it 35-10.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 11-27-2006, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a die-hard Oilers fan, I can tell you it was a miserable experience. The worst part about it is that after having lived with our poor defense's inability to hold leads before, my friends and I were pretty much bracing for the inevitable when Buffalo scored to make it 35-10.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly it was a combination of the two. The run & shoot was terrible for grinding out a big lead, because when you throw every down and go three-and-out, you only take about 15 seconds off the clock.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love how he tried blaming it on his players. What a douchebag.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the article.

[ QUOTE ]
Bloomington coach Don Markham said an injury in the first quarter to running back/cornerback Johnathan Hackett, cost his team the game.

Hackett would have covered Smith on the game-winner.

"We ran out of running backs," Markham said. "At the end, the kids wanted to pound in the touchdown instead of taking a knee. You can't change the score. It's just a cruel thing, here."

La Quinta coach Dan Armstrong said the victory ranks up with the best of his 26-year career.

"If Bloomington takes a knee, they win," he said. "Don Markham has never been known to take a knee."

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAH!
Old 11-27-2006, 04:04 PM

The negative effects of the run & shoot on defense is mostly a myth..