Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Luxor Ruling

If Howard never said anything, is the dealer allowed to announce the all-in? Could the dealer's change of story been a CYA move after realizing he's done something he's not allowed to do?
Old 11-15-2006, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If Howard never said anything, is the dealer allowed to announce the all-in? Could the dealer's change of story been a CYA move after realizing he's done something he's not allowed to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stirctly speaking the dealer should not announce the all-in, but I doubt anyone at Luxor knows that. I have even seen a couple sets of procedures that get this wrong. The dealer should only announce an all-in when it would be an other wise illegal bet. If someone makes a legal bet the dealer should point out the all-in after the betting round. Example: First player bets $100 and is all in; if it is easy to see the bet is $100 the dealer should announce it without mentioning the allin; if it is unlcear how much the bet is the dealer should leave it alone unless someone wants a count. After the first player bets $100 the next player goes all-in for $175, the dealer should know announce "all-in for $175" or if the amount is unclear simply "all-in" because this is an otherwise illegal bet.

I am guessing that in Howard's case that for whatever reason the dealer wnated a string bet to be called so he described the action in a way that would get that decision (either he was unhappy with Howard's toke, or the other guy was a super George, or the dealer was just plain afraid of the other player).
Old 11-15-2006, 02:26 AM

...so is there any realistic way that if the dealer had relayed the story to the floor correctly that the dealer could have been busted for interpreting too muh into HB's actions? I'm thinking of the dealer violating a rule to prevent the angle where, after noticing he's getting called, the player claims "I never said anything and my chips never crossed the line. It was all the dealer's conjecture."
Old 11-15-2006, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...so is there any realistic way that if the dealer had relayed the story to the floor correctly that the dealer could have been busted for interpreting too muh into HB's actions? I'm thinking of the dealer violating a rule to prevent the angle where, after noticing he's getting called, the player claims "I never said anything and my chips never crossed the line. It was all the dealer's conjecture."

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't try to speculate what rules they migth have at Luxor. In general a poker dealer has to really screw up to get in any sort of trouble. I don't really see any way the dealer telling the story accurately would get him in trouble. The only things I can see it being is feeling that Howards is a stiff (which is far from the truth) favoring the other player for some reason. Actually there is a third possibility that is closer to what you are saying. He might have fealt it was in fact a string bet and thought he might get some grief for not calling it/allowing the all-in. Some things that happen just can't be explained.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stirctly speaking the dealer should not announce the all-in, but I doubt anyone at Luxor knows that. I have even seen a couple sets of procedures that get this wrong. The dealer should only announce an all-in when it would be an other wise illegal bet. If someone makes a legal bet the dealer should point out the all-in after the betting round. Example: First player bets $100 and is all in; if it is easy to see the bet is $100 the dealer should announce it without mentioning the allin; if it is unlcear how much the bet is the dealer should leave it alone unless someone wants a count. After the first player bets $100 the next player goes all-in for $175, the dealer should know announce "all-in for $175" or if the amount is unclear simply "all-in" because this is an otherwise illegal bet.

I am guessing that in Howard's case that for whatever reason the dealer wnated a string bet to be called so he described the action in a way that would get that decision (either he was unhappy with Howard's toke, or the other guy was a super George, or the dealer was just plain afraid of the other player).

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh? I've seen that virtually nowhere, in cash games or tournaments. The dealers almost always announce an all-in at the time of the bet.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh? I've seen that virtually nowhere, in cash games or tournaments. The dealers almost always announce an all-in at the time of the bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many things about modern NL games that make me very sad. I might make an entire list of them sometime. When someone makes a legal bet and the dealer says they are all-in he is commenting on the game. The biggest reason the dealer should not be commenting when someon is all-in is the dealer has to very he is all-in (that he doesn't have some chips under his arms) and announcing all-ins also brings attention to the play that chooses not to move all-in.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I move all in, I'm shoving my stack in evenly with both hands. Right before I cross the betting line, the dealer (C.P.) says, "He's all-in (and even mentions the dollar amount for the table, which was 100% accurate on the amount).

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, Howard has said nothing.
The chips have not crossed the betting line.

What if he stops before the line, but after the dealer has declared him "all in for $YYY" ?
Old 11-15-2006, 03:14 PM

I didn't read all the responses but it sounds as though you got the raw end of it, I have had seen this kind of thing soo many times...

I'm also suprised the others at the table didn't all chime in. If I was sitting there, I would have made a big stink on your behalf.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm also surprised the others at the table didn't all chime in. If I was sitting there, I would have made a big stink on your behalf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the sentiment in this forum seems to be "If it doesn't adversely affect you, STFU", I'm not surprised at all.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Luxor sucks anyway, no loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Crappy poker room with a crappy dealer and a crappy floorman who doesn't know who to treat his customers, your completely in the right after the dealer made a verbal confirmation with amount the only movement needed was for the eye in the sky and doesn't matter how they go forward. Luxor is so Luxor.