Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Vick: Love or hate him?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He'd be doing a lot better if he played in an offense that suited him , and if he had a receiving corps that wasn't arguably the worst in the league (see all those drops yesterday?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, look at Vick's best games, and look at who his passes went to. There weren't these WR short passes, they were dumps to RBs on bootlegs, and bombs. That's what works with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is thats what works with him because of his lack of ability or becuase of his WR's lack of ability? I think thats the key question. I'd love to see what he'd do with a stud WR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vick is at his best when he can roll out, and then either scramble, or draw the defense in and dump it off to a back who can get a nice gain, or hit a receiver who broke his route and ran downfield (that's what the best arm in the league is for afterall).

Unfortunately, his receivers outside of Alge seem to be a get a little lax when they turn and see Vick out on the edges. Is it because they think he's always going to run, and don't feel like extending the effort to sprint deep when they probably won't get the ball anyway? Maybe. But they're professionals, and it's no excuse to be a little bitch, although 98% of WRs are.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The QB has to fit a system; the system can't fit around the QB. It's just too impractical, given the time constraints that a QB has about a 10 year window in the NFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? The QB is the most important player on the team and he's paid by far the most. It makes sense to me to build a system around him(like Bill Walsh did around Montana/Young with the "West Coast" Offense, etc).

Any QB can win a championship with the right personnel/luck. Yes, even ATL with Vick--especially if he has another year like 2002.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well it basically comes down to a Value Over Replacement Player question.(VORP - ZOMG STATS)

I think a RB's VORP can only be so high, and many QB's would have a higher rating.
I know im just mumbling numbers and many will laugh at me for all this, but whatever.

Obviously a guy like LT2 is better than a QB that would be easy to replace, I just don't think Vick is one of those QB's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough call, but I agree.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:30 AM

Love him, but not a lot.

As he starts to slow up, he'll be forced to learn how to be a better pocket passer, and he is getting better.

But he can be a joy to watch. Every time he touches the ball (every play), there's a huge amount of big play potential.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The QB has to fit a system; the system can't fit around the QB. It's just too impractical, given the time constraints that a QB has about a 10 year window in the NFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? The QB is the most important player on the team and he's paid by far the most. It makes sense to me to build a system around him(like Bill Walsh did around Montana/Young with the "West Coast" Offense, etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about whether to build a system around a QB or vice versa, but your example is way off. Walsh's system was developed long before Montana ever arrived; Montana, no doubt, was brought in because his skill set was an excellent fit for Walsh's scheme.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:40 PM

At FO, the consensus seems to be that he's overrated but he's more or less an average QB that might or might not be hurt by his system. There's a bit of backlash against him and FO's come to be sort of associated with hating Vick and the Falcons.

I think most people wish he was better than he is, and I do too to an extent.

All that said, he's going to be worth about as much as any RB even in this system.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:43 PM

He'll never be much more than a league average QB in production, but he's still the most exciting player to watch in the game.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:42 PM

In Vicks case, his value over other QB's is in his legs. How many years do you give him to retain this value? 5 more "good" years?

I just don't see it (him winning a SB) happening. Weird things happen all the time though.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I just don't see it (him winning a SB) happening. Weird things happen all the time though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wondering why so many people think this.

In 3 years as a full time starter, he has been to the 2nd round of the playoffs, the 3rd round of the playoffs, and missed the playoffs by one game.

Thats pretty damn impressive! What about that makes people think that he can't win?
Old 11-14-2006, 04:33 PM

They probably don't think a bad QB can win a Super Bowl. They're wrong.