Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2006, 02:35 AM

Default Re: *** Official Arbitrage Posting Thread : 11/06 - 11/12 ***

You may find many arbs every day, but do you find them for significant amounts? I find many bets each day which I could arb if I were so inclined, but invariably they're bets for $200, $300, $500 limits where I'm not able to get down enough money on the soft line to make it worth arbing.

In any case, the point isn't so much that "people post arbs." If you post an arb between Pinnacle and Cascade, or TheGreek and CRIS, it doesn't really matter. The point is that the majority of the arbs that are posted involve soft lines from low-limit books. If these books get pounded with one way action on their soft lines, it could encourage them to sharpen their lines, or worse, if a lot of people won betting their soft lines, the book could go under. As I stated in an earlier post, a lot of the posted arbs involve SIA lines and their lines aren't nearly as soft now as they were several years ago.

Here's a simple, final example. During the World Cup, I found a book that had extremely slow moving lines and made tons of bets there, arbing part of a lot of the bets. The bets placed at that book did extremely well and I won a substantial amount of money there. I guess that book wasn't prepared for that large a win outside of football season, because it took me quite a while to get paid. I can only imagine how long it would have taken if a lot of other people had bet the same arbs and had won a lot of money there. If I posted those arbs somewhere, I'd be screwed.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a simple, final example. During the World Cup, I found a book that had extremely slow moving lines and made tons of bets there, arbing part of a lot of the bets. The bets placed at that book did extremely well and I won a substantial amount of money there. I guess that book wasn't prepared for that large a win outside of football season, because it took me quite a while to get paid. I can only imagine how long it would have taken if a lot of other people had bet the same arbs and had won a lot of money there. If I posted those arbs somewhere, I'd be screwed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good example. Happens all the time.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:40 AM

Another part of "doing whatever I think is best" is explaining to others why it's generally a bad idea to post arbs.

Did I understand the other comments correctly to mean that you offer a commercial service based around arbitrage betting? No wonder you wish threads like these would die!
Old 11-09-2006, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another part of "doing whatever I think is best" is explaining to others why it's generally a bad idea to post arbs.

Did I understand the other comments correctly to mean that you offer a commercial service based around arbitrage betting? No wonder you wish threads like these would die!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sports betting is getting easier, there is plenty to go around. Liquidity at places like Betfair is at record highs and with record levels of incompetence. There is so much free money about that it is physically impossible for one person to get it all, so sharing it out is a very good idea.

Lori
Old 11-09-2006, 03:57 AM

This thread is like an inspiration to me. I'm not anywhere near the sharpest tool in the shed, but from now on I'm going to try to help people out whenever I can.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:34 AM

CLIFF NOTES

Blah blah blah whine whine whine...I'm greedy and you people who aren't are idiots.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:06 AM

Betfair isn't open to Americans, Tradesports's repeated downgrades by SBR make Tradesports a non-viable option, so Americans are limited to Matchbook and Mansion as far as exchanges are concerned. They're both solid outs, but they don't offer props, parlays, teasers, etc. Exchanges are a great way to get "no-vig" lines, but you'll very rarely find a rogue line there.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:10 AM

It's "greedy" to be more concerned with one's own financial well-being than the profits of random strangers on the internet? That's one of the most bizarre things I've ever read.

In that case, I expect every reader of this board to send Chachi and I a check consisting of 10% of your bankroll. Those of you who don't send us a check are greedy idiots!
Old 11-09-2006, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's "greedy" to be more concerned with one's own financial well-being than the profits of random strangers on the internet? That's one of the most bizarre things I've ever read.

In that case, I expect every reader of this board to send Chachi and I a check consisting of 10% of your bankroll. Those of you who don't send us a check are greedy idiots!

[/ QUOTE ]

We're just talking about sharing. Not charity. Although charity is a good thing, but only to worthy causes.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All these threads do is create tension in an otherwise friendly community (compared to the other 2+2 forums, at least). People are going to have their own opinions that are unlikely to change. All you can do is whatever you think is best. I wish this thread and all like it would die.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish you would die.