Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2006, 11:05 PM

Default Re: GOP OVERPLAYED HAND WITH GAMBLING BILL

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To a Democrat gun control would be a moral view. To a Republican gun control is having a steady hand and a light trigger.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, it's a public safety issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

In which way is it a public safety issue? States that have enacted laws to allow their citizens to carry concealed weapons (with a permit) have seen their violent crime rates drop. A criminals biggest fear is that his/her next victim will be armed.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To a Democrat gun control would be a moral view. To a Republican gun control is having a steady hand and a light trigger.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's a constitutional issue
Old 11-08-2006, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But I'd rather have lower taxes, feel safe, not have San Francisco views put on me, fight terrorism and have a robust economy, than play online poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather feed my kids, so there is no larger issue for me this election. When you try to fire me from my job, it gets personal, I dont much care about all the rest now.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:00 AM

it's not a no-victim morality issue, like gay marriage. you may not agree, and there are certainly arguments in favor of gun possesion, but a gun in the end is a weapon designed to kill people, pure and simple, making the possesion issue a legitimate public safety concern.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:05 AM

Here are 3 quick things that I think about the current state of the Government.

1. Even if they actually cared about the good of the American people when they first got into politics... They stop shortly after, and concentrate only on keeping their jobs and making money.

2. They do not represent us, they represent the businesses and special interest groups that contribute the huge dollars that they find some way to steal or use to keep their jobs.

3. There is only one thing that politicians do 100% of the time in a bipartisan fashion... LIE

The bad news is that there is no end in site...
Old 11-08-2006, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who votes against the republicans because of this bill is an absolute moron. My God do you have any idea how much rides on this election? I LOVE poker, just like everyone here. But I'd rather have lower taxes, feel safe, not have San Francisco views put on me, fight terrorism and have a robust economy, than play online poker. I live in the middle of nowhere West Virginia and even I can find a cash game or tournament every day of the week, sometimes multiple games.

Yeah the ban sucks, but there are WAY more important things on the line than online gambling. Also, I didn't see very many, if any, Dems voting against this or fighting it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This scares me more than terrorists. Obviously we all value safety, but giving up freedom is Bullsh*t.

San Francisco views put on you? That is scarier that right wing conservative views being put on you? Which party is really more likely to "put a view on you"? Relax, mandatory homosexuality is at least 10 years away. Mandatory right wing morality is here today.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I really disagree with many dems on gun controll. I like owning a gun or at least that I could own a gun [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But Rep, come on, assault riffles?

That's where it's rediculous IMO. I don't feel the 'Iraqi mentallity' is good for the US or applies (let's all buy assault riffles, incase we get taken over, so we make it chaotic) OR the old idea of an assault riffles could actually defeat the government (for rebellion). Who ever hunts, or claims to, with an assault riffle is a [censored].

Now, if we could own tanks and bozokas and anti-aircraft missle launchers...then that is another story, and I'm not really against those too much and would feel much more confident in a coup-de-tete or whatev'. 2000 elections :P?

But owning a fire-arm or semi-automatic 9mm is no big deal. Gangs get them anyway. I suggest everyone buy them, and don't believe in those safety polls, just keep them away from your kids. Without a gun, how the hell are you going to scare people from robbing you? If you have never been robbed, then you don't know. Death is the only thing that scares them, the justice system is a joke...more Marijuana arrests are made than numerous violent crimes combined. My brother almost got killed by a 17yr...he served 3 months in Juv. and vowed vengence...trust me, you don't go to the police to discuss that, you take action yourself. The dirt bag was a drop out with numerous violent crimes under his belt already...I had a college degree and a highly regulated job that would be prohibbited with any felony on my record. He had a big advantage in our interactions as he was not afraid of police involvement where as I was. If he had several bruises one day or a black eye, he goes on about his business, but as a office worker, your looking like a fight club guy. Guns are the only way to even the score. I let the kid know I would kill him and not think twice. It never came down to it, but without a gun, I would end up either being ignored by the police (it took over 30 minutes for them to come to the house during the life threatening incident after the 911 call, they were about 5 to 10 minutes from getting away) or I'd have to threaten to cut him up, which is not near as believable, and he had much better knives (he used a brass-knuckle device that had a 4" blade attached to it, this is very deadly weapon and I have never used one). I'm not letting a gangster live with only minor scaring to deal with if he tries to kill me or 3 months juv. That's just a recipe for vengance and he benefits in the risk vs. reward equation. I don't favor more police involvement at all. I'm fine with a semi-automatic.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:38 AM

If my neighbor owns a gun it affects indirectly my safety and the safety of little schoolgirls lately. Unfortunately it's his constitutional right. If my neighbor marries his ferret I will sleep ok though.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:42 AM

Our weapons are worthless against US military, and nobody is taking over the US... nobody hits our shore.

Threatening to kill someone is a bad idea. If your going to kill them, why tip them off? If someone poses a threat to your family, and you believe that justifies killing them...

Surprise is arguably more important than your weapon of choice.

I don't really have an opinion on gun control, I don't hunt, or own a gun.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:47 AM

What if your neighbor gets tired of the ferret and starts looking toward the little schoolgirls? Then you will wish that at least one of your neighbors has a gun. Nothin like a good pistol whipping to flush out those unnatural urges.