Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2006, 11:18 PM

Default Re: BS call againts Jets.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My solution -- if they feel they need to protect the QB to such an extreme -- is to do what they did with roughing the kicker. Make a new 5-yd penalty for "running into the QB" or "unintentional contact with the QB", and keep the 15-yd personal foul for the worst cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that a lot too. The only concern that I can see would be how you justify not making that 5 yds an automatic 1st down when "illegal contact" and defensive holding are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't make it a first down, just like "running into the kicker" is not an automatic first down. On the one hand, QBs obviously are more valuable to the league than kickers; but on the other hand kickers generally are in a much more vulnerable position and susceptible to serious injury when kicking (and are not the dictionary of physical specimen) than QBs. The idea would be to penalize the team for unintentional, non-serious illegal contact with the QB, caused largely by 700 pound men throwing themselves at the QB at full speed who are not able to defy the laws of physics and stop themselves completely from contacting the QB, while not having that one play have such a disproportionate effect on the game.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:28 PM

I understand what you're saying. My point is illegal contact is frequently a ticky-tac call that's an auto 1st down and it'd be weird for a QB-related penalty to be less significant. I totally agree that it'd be better than the current "15 yds + 1st down" system though.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:05 AM

I can understand illegal contact being a first down because the contact can affect the play.

"Incidental" contact with the QB after the play has no effect on the play itself. The pass has already been thrown. Therefore, no first down. My opinion.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw this, and it looked close at least. Yeah, he might have been able to get the feet in, it wasn't a horrible blown call though like what we see most weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who thinks this close was close is either joking or blind. When I heard there was a controversy on a force out I assumed Jets fans were just being bitchy since those calls are often legitimately difficult judgment calls. This was not one of them.