Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 07:03 AM

Default Re: What level has your band gotten to

I played with a band back in the day for about 6 years. We started out as just a garage band consisting of a group of guys who really loved metal. Basically started just covering Slayer and Pantera tunes.

We started writing our own material and quickly became very accustomed to each others' playing style. After about 2 years we recorded our first 4 song demo album. We didn't sell many and never had it reproduced in bulk. We played local shows around town and became friends with other local bands.

After setting up some of our own shows, we started to become friends with other bands who came in from out of town. This led to us being able to play lots of other shows out of town. We started playing about 2 shows a week and went to many different cities in the Southeast. We also traveled to Milwaukee for the Milwaukee Metalfest in 1999.

After a while we recorded our first highly reproduced album for sale. Over the next two years we sold about 800 or so copies. At the point where all of us were out of high school, we all sort of moved in separate directions and broke up.

*on a side note: We did recieve a call from RoadRunner Records in 2000 from an AR guy. (For those that don't know, Roadrunner handles bands such as Slipknot, Machine Head, Obituary, etc...) We found out that he called us on the President of Roadrunner records cell phone. We missed the call as we were all in school during the day. They found out about us through the drummer of Machine Head. We hung out with him one night after a show and gave him our album. He loved it and remembered us the next time we saw them. He also confirmed that he was the one who let Roadrunner know about us. We never got back in touch with Roadrunner and later found out that the guy who called us quit his job soon after. Sad it never panned out.

Anywho, if any metal/hardcore fans out there want to hear our old stuff just pm me.

btw...I play the drums.

Oh, and here is a link to the newer version of our old band. Three of the former 5 are in this band. It is a little different than our old stuff, but it ain't bad.
http://www.myspace.com/headwoundharry ]Headwound Harry[/url]
Old 10-25-2006, 07:10 AM

SEABEAST, pretty cool stuff man. I love the Tom Araya refernce pic [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2006, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Recorded a CD, played a bunch of local/regional shows, had a blast doing it. We didn't take it too seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

which one are you?
Old 10-25-2006, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my band has done a bunch of gigs. i've been on tour before and we all play regularly with other people in NYC and we all make a living as hired musicians/audio engineers.

we're taking it easy with the shows so we can rehearse + record our new album.

but i think we rock pretty damn hard.

www.myspace.com/paperandsand

[/ QUOTE ]

nice [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2006, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

also, my drummer for religious reasons cant play on friday nights/saturdays, hes jewish, do people think this is a huge issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

matisyahu is the same way and hes doing great
although it might be a lil bit of a problem when u need all the gigs u can get i mean u can stil play on sat nights just not friday nights

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it just friday night or the whole day? I saw Matisyahu play a festival this august on a Friday, around 4pm ish. He was stoned as hell, but still good.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:00 PM

I made a run at going pro in a pop rock band years ago, but we never broke out of the dinky little NYC clubs we played. Now I play in a Pink Floyd tribute band for [censored] and giggles. This is a clip from our 1st show.

To the OP, lose the drummer.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:42 PM

My first band almost got far. We were asked to record at Rockfield studios a few times (Queen recorded Bohememian Rhapsody there), gigged around the country a bit. Had interest from one major label, the A&R guy said he'd like to offer us a contract. Then the girl singer bailed on us so she could go study law as that's what her parents reccommended. So no deal for us.

My current serious band are begining to get known in the wider, local area, supported the Spinto band recently, had some indie label interest. We need a manager though.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
we toured with the bosstones for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

[x] Your post does not constitute a complete reply to the thread, please expound.

[/ QUOTE ]]

i think it does.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:29 AM

Quit college for awhile to play in a band in Denver. I drum.

By the end of it, we opened for Circa Survive, Letter Kills, and had plans to open for Sparta before they canceled that show.

Singer was the one holding us back, and inevitably the guy who made things fall apart.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:07 PM

My band toured a couple times released some 7"s and opened for the Donnas, New Bomb Turks, Good Riddance, Anti-Flag yaddayadda. We recorded an album but our record label folded. We figured garage rock with a chick drummer was never gonna make us any money or fame so we quit. Then the White Stripes appeared and WSSCKO.

So, yeah, not far at all.