Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2006, 01:22 PM

Default Re: \"The Prestige\" wtf? (spoilers)

[ QUOTE ]
actually, I think the whole idea of the movie, is that the trick is so simple, we just dont want to believe it. Thats why Bale had the double, becuase its as simple as that, therer is no mastermind trick, just dedication. Jackmans downfall was that he refused to believe that, and then drove himself to find a way to duplicate the impossible. This led him to this horrid machine, and basically turned him into a monster, where he has to kill himself every night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I agree completely.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:25 PM

Its too bad they weren't consistent with that. I felt like at the end of the movie they were hinting that the 'miracle' machine was really just a simple trick too, but there's no plausible explanation for it.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
actually, I think the whole idea of the movie, is that the trick is so simple, we just dont want to believe it. Thats why Bale had the double, becuase its as simple as that, therer is no mastermind trick, just dedication.

[/ QUOTE ]
i agree with this entirely. but there is not need to go sci-fi to support this thesis.
[ QUOTE ]
Jackmans downfall was that he refused to believe that, and then drove himself to find a way to duplicate the impossible. This led him to this horrid machine, and basically turned him into a monster, where he has to kill himself every night.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is also true. however, jackman's character could have had his downfall so many other ways. he was obsessing over the trick, he had already given up scarlet to try and gain information about the trick. his downfall was already eminent before we ever learn of the crazy cloning machine. actually i think if you stay grounded with it its more haunting to see the monster jackman has become because its more 'real'.

you make good points though. i am glad i read this thread, the ending might not have been as worthless as i thought. it still does a significant disservice to the movie imo.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it still does a significant disservice to the movie imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I think that's the point of the ending. A giant disappointment based on how simple (yet extremely corrupt) the way Jackman matches his rival.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:28 AM

I wish that they didnt reveal everything in the end.
If you paid attention in the movie it was pretty ovbious
Old 10-24-2006, 02:45 PM

i have a major wtf. WTF does bale say at the end of the movie right before he gets hanged and the preist goes "any last words" ??!??
Old 10-24-2006, 02:56 PM

Abra cadabra

Old 10-24-2006, 02:59 PM

abra-cadabra
Old 10-24-2006, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
actually, I think the whole idea of the movie, is that the trick is so simple, we just dont want to believe it. Thats why Bale had the double, becuase its as simple as that, therer is no mastermind trick, just dedication. Jackmans downfall was that he refused to believe that, and then drove himself to find a way to duplicate the impossible. This led him to this horrid machine, and basically turned him into a monster, where he has to kill himself every night.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the most attractive aspects of this film is that Angers' dark secret about killing all the clones is SO OBVIOUS throughout the movie. Nevertheless, I found myself believing, or wanting to believe, that he had somehow fixed the machine, or something. I thought the voiceover at the end really pulled that together.

Also, I really liked all the stuff with the birds. Where Christian Bale tells the surviving bird that he was the lucky one tonight... good [censored].
Old 10-24-2006, 05:08 PM

I normally agree with you and get annoyed at endings like this. ButI really enjoyed this ending, because it achieved the necessary ends for the characters and story arcs, while still making a statement as a movie itself.

A theme throughout the movie is about how illusion is only possible when people decieve themselves. That magic only happens because people want to believe in magic. With Bale's trick, Michael Caine said all along he had a double. Yet I wanted there to be something deeper. I wanted the sci-fi twist (or magic). Throughout the film clue after clue is left to allow yourself to believe there really must be some magic involved, even though in the end he simply had a twin, and that is the only explanation the movie ever offers.

Jackman's trick, on the other hand, works the opposite way. When I saw the pile of hats, my first instinct was that they were planted there by Bowie to keep taking Jackman's money (as another poster suggested). As Nolan is finally revealing Bale had a twin - so many clues at the end - I kept trying to figure out the simple truth to Jackman's trick. Just as the truth had been told the entire time about Bale having a double, the truth was also told about Jackman, as he asked Bowie to build him a machine to do the transported man trick and Bowie promised the machine did what it was requested to do, and even adamantly sought its destruction.

In both cases I wanted to believe the opposite of what all of the logic of the film was saying, and as such, the film was able to perform magic tricks on me despite explaining what it was doing at every step.