Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2006, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Chris Rock\'s mom sues Cracker Barrell

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If they were racist they wouldn't offer her a free meal. This is so stupid it's unbelievable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Server=Racist, Manager=Non Racist.

This isnt me justifying the law suit but to say the server wasnt racist because the manager offered her a free meal is a reach.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf, have you ever waited tables? you honestly think a server is just gonna not take a table b/c they are black? if it is racist, it has to be racist from the top. no one is gonna get fired to not serve a black person. i guarantee someone had just got cut, was eating, or for some other reason, no one knew that was their table.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I just live a naive and sheltered life, but I thought stuff like this stopped happening in 1967.

[/ QUOTE ]

No Cracker Barrel has been providing crappy service continually for many years now.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:28 PM

I went to Cracker Barrel last week and us plus the other two tables in our area waited over 30 minutes to be served. After complaining, the mgr pulled the waiter to the side and was a little quicker. But we didn't get offered a free meal.
It seems like most of the time I go there, their servers aren't too quick with anyone.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ironically, this would make for great material for Chris Rock.

"What kinda bbblack folks go to a place calt CRACKA BARREL an expeck quality service?! Das' like a preacher goin' to a strrrip club and suing cuz e had titties in his face!! What kinda people!!!.... J-Lo has a big ass."

Seriuosly though, this is really really lame. This is almost as lame as Wesley Snipes not paying taxes for 6 years. Well, not really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flame:moth::Whiny black people:Racists such as the above poster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I typed Chris Rock's speech phonetically? Dude, check yourself. That's how he talks.

Or because I likened the lameness of this to Wesley Snipes? (because it is the most lame thing I've heard of this week, and has nothing to do with the fact that he is Black as well).

Seriously, stfu.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good point.

I can't believe people sue over bad service because they are black.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who does not think this story is completely ridiculous is an idiot. Period.

Someone goes in a restaurant and gets ignored. That's incompetence. It's not racism. Jesus Christ people. This can happen at any restaurant at any time to any color of person. Can we please stop turning everything into the sequel of Rosa Parks?

By the way, Al Sharpton is a joke and a moron. Anyone who actually entertained the idea that he was a viable candidate for president should most likely be deported...immediately.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:23 AM

Everyone,
I realize this story looks pretty funny and ridiculous. A black chick who happens to be Chris Rock's mom doesn't get her food and whines about racism, yeah. But realize that Cracker Barrel does have a pretty bad history when it comes to this sort of thing, and I feel like everyone who's saying "LOL RIDIC NOT RACISM" really don't know what they're talking about.

[ QUOTE ]
Experiences like theirs were not aberrations, the Justice Department said this week in a lawsuit against Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, whose 497 restaurants and gift shops are familiar sights near interstates in much of the country.

The government said its investigations showed that Cracker Barrel segregated customers by race; allowed white servers to refuse to wait on African-American customers; and seated or served white customers before seating or serving similarly situated African-American customers. Justice further alleged that, in many cases, managers directed, participated or acquiesced in those practices.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.usatoday.com/money/compan...r-barrel_x.htm

[ QUOTE ]
Cracker Barrel, a subsidiary of CBRL Group Inc., last year agreed to pay $8.7 million to settle federal lawsuits in Georgia that alleged black customers were subjected to racial slurs, denied service or segregated in smoking sections.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...18cracker.html

Edited to add this gem: [ QUOTE ]
Cracker Barrel was accused in the early 1990s of dismissing some gay workers. A leak of a Cracker Barrel executive's memo saying managers should fire employees who didn't "demonstrate normal heterosexual values" sparked protests from gay rights groups. The company eventually renounced the memo and adopted policies protecting gay employees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it's entirely possible Chris Rock's mom is making all of this up about her recent visit, but it's still worth noting that racism from the management is not unheard of at Cracker Barrel.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I ate there one time passing through Texas on my way to Mardi Gras. I had chicken & biscuits. It wasn't that great.

I hope this bitch and Al get a counter-suit filed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you seem to know the case in and out, and have already come to a verdict, please fill us in on the rest of the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the article I quoted in my OP. It's pretty explanitory. 2 black woman are basically ignored wait 30 mins before they alert a manager. He immediately offers to pay for their meals, but offer no "explanation". As if she entitled an explanation, but if you haven't worked in the service industry, you would have no idea how minority people take advantage of whites serving them. She found this lack of explanation unsatifactory and denied her free meals and then filed a formal complaint. Said complaint is not dealt with fast enough for Mrs. Chris Rock's mother, so they get Al Sharpton and his organization involved to file suit. WTF am I missing here? Frivolous lawsuits are a major issue in this country and this certainly qualifies.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I ate there one time passing through Texas on my way to Mardi Gras. I had chicken & biscuits. It wasn't that great.

I hope this bitch and Al get a counter-suit filed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you seem to know the case in and out, and have already come to a verdict, please fill us in on the rest of the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the article I quoted in my OP. It's pretty explanitory. 2 black woman are basically ignored wait 30 mins before they alert a manager. He immediately offers to pay for their meals, but offer no "explanation". As if she entitled an explanation, but if you haven't worked in the service industry, you would have no idea how minority people take advantage of whites serving them. She found this lack of explanation unsatifactory and denied her free meals and then filed a formal complaint. Said complaint is not dealt with fast enough for Mrs. Chris Rock's mother, so they get Al Sharpton and his organization involved to file suit. WTF am I missing here? Frivolous lawsuits are a major issue in this country and this certainly qualifies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps everyone should consult more than one article before immediately claiming they know the entire story and bitching about this being ridiculous.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i have waited tables for years and my experience is that in the south, black people in general are bad tippers. i'm not a racist or anything, but that's how it is. this could have something to do with Mrs. Rock not getting served quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ almighty...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a server,I live in Maryland, and in my experience brothas and sistas don't tip too well. I've heard that from plenty of my friends as well. Racist? Absolutely not. Key phrase being "in my experience".
Old 10-19-2006, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I just live a naive and sheltered life, but I thought stuff like this stopped happening in 1967.

[/ QUOTE ]

No Cracker Barrel has been providing crappy service continually for many years now.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, I thought that Cracker Barrell was a cheese.