Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2006, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Spare Ribs no Bar-b-q sauce

[ QUOTE ]
Not useless. If you read the recipe the ribs are being braised in a sauce in the oven. Finishing on the grill for a few minutes is just to get the sauce set on them.

For anyone that does not have access to a grill/smoker that can hold a low temp consistently, these are the best ribs you'll be able make.

[/ QUOTE ]

The link lead to a redirect so I didn't see their exact recipe.

Nevertheless, finishing in the oven will still allow any sauce to "set". The element at play in heat. The grill would actually be less advantageous at the stage where a finishing sauce is added as if your coals or lump flare you're likely to burn a tomato or sugar (molasses) based sauce on a grill. The more even heat of an oven versus most grills would give a more homogenous finish to a sauce.

From personal experience I often do the grill to oven combination, especially with ribs. After two hours or so they've picked up all the smoke they can and I can more closely (read: conveniently) monitor them in the kitchen if I'm doing other cooking.

If the oven to grill is a time honored method of yours don't going changing it on my account but if you're somewhat new to this please take my advice. They really do have it backwards.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:14 PM

Trip report:

Went with Gordon Scott's recipe as a base (thanks Gordon), but added Sweet Chilli sauce for extra tang. Marinated overnight. After we'd finished using the Weber for lunchtime 'yakiniku', I moved a few coals to one side & placed the ribs on the opposite side on 2 layers (about 3 kilos of ribs). Occasionally added a piece of charcoal & brushed ribs with the sauce. Left for 5 hours, so they were ready by early evening. None of my guests had ever had spare ribs before, but everyone was exceptionally complimentary, personally, I thought they were superb & would like to thank everyone once again for all the advice.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:53 PM

My favorite way to do ribs:

Marinate for 30 minutes:
Lemon juice
olive oil
fresh crushed garlic
parsley
salt
pepper

sear the ribs for 5 minutes
cook over low bbq heat
keep some of the marinade, and get a bunch of fresh parsley use the parsley to brush the ribs every so often,
Old 10-09-2006, 10:22 PM

salt + pepper + fire.

That is how you cook ribs.