Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2006, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Downsing duration?

[ QUOTE ]
i cant even imagine how it feels to play 12 tables 6 max.. i would recomend cutting down a few tables and up your agression a bit (limping AQ wtf?!). if nothing else it will feel somewhat diferent and maybe get you out of your coldstretch, and i dare say you will become a better player.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good [censored].

I'm telling you, playing so many hands, in such a style, gets monotonous and [censored] with everything. I know you're losing value in many situations because you're on autopilot. It might seem frantic but it's still autopilot. Combine this with cold cards and such and there's your downswing. (Just another way of reiterating 'the lower the winrate, the increase in downswings/breakeven stretches')
Anything to break any autopilot monotony is good. I've found that even silly simple [censored] like changing the color of the backs of the cards helps. Since I started taking breaks and [censored] around on BBV/2p2 much more, or closing a table or two and [censored] around at the same time, it has helped me tremendously in not losing focus.
I know you're worried and don't want to change anything, but this is the prime opportunity to break out of a rut and plug some leaks. It will come to fruition very soon.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know you're worried and don't want to change anything, but this is the prime opportunity to break out of a rut and plug some leaks. It will come to fruition very soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft. Although any time is a good time to start plugging leaks, and judging from what you say, you have tons tons tons.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:31 PM

omg how can dudes be so good at mtg and so bad at poker
Old 10-08-2006, 02:04 PM

how much do you make?
Old 10-08-2006, 02:05 PM

small win rate = bigger/longer downswings
big win rate = smaller downswings
Old 10-08-2006, 02:24 PM

manub,

A 12 buyin downswing is totally standard. In fact, it would be really surprising if you could play 130k hands at 3PTBB/100 and NOT have a 12 buyin downswing at some point.

However if you are 12-tabling at 24/6 for 3PTBB/100, I think you have more serious problems. You should definitely be raising more -- 16-18% or so. Try playing a few less tables for a while and being more aggressive preflop. It's much more fun to 6-table for 6PTBB/100 than to 12-table for 3. Plus you're much more likely to get good enough to move up that way.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
omg how can dudes be so good at mtg and so bad at poker

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't call him bad at poker.
winning 3ptbb/100 over 130+ thousand hands is a pretty nice chunk of change, especially for 12 tabling....

maybe he's just currently only average at poker. though you have to be above average to 12 table for so long and still win i'd think.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:56 PM

I played a lot with you at stars too, but i think you should exercise better table selection, i often see you at tables with 4 regulars and 1 shortstacked fish.
As they said, you should raise more, you are too predictable against thinking players, i play a TAG 20/11 and it is working pretty well at NL200 there, but i ocasionally change gears (or tables) if the table is too tight.

Edited to add: I used to play 5 tables at a [censored] monitor, watching TV and reading 2+2, it made me have a 60k hands breakeven stretch. Once i stopped seing TV, and reading Internet and playing 3 tables only, i have been beating NL100 an NL200 really well. The main thing is it helps you get value, like when you value bet 2nd pair in the river when you would have checked if u are multitabling.
Drop some tables, it will do good for you.