Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 02:27 PM

Default Re: $1500/month working from home...how?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Build some content based websites and either sell ads or use google adsense/yahoo publisher network (probably 40-50 crappy sites at least needed)

[/ QUOTE ]

How would you build the traffic?

[/ QUOTE ]

directory submission, SEO, link exchange, adsense arbitrage

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't assume me lazy but... links?

I mean I've been trying to build traffic to my sites for few weeks now by submitting the sites to directorys but I'm getting like 10 hits/day.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Build some content based websites and either sell ads or use google adsense/yahoo publisher network (probably 40-50 crappy sites at least needed)

[/ QUOTE ]

How would you build the traffic?

[/ QUOTE ]

directory submission, SEO, link exchange, adsense arbitrage

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't assume me lazy but... links?

I mean I've been trying to build traffic to my sites for few weeks now by submitting the sites to directorys but I'm getting like 10 hits/day.

[/ QUOTE ]

go to sites like namepros.com and sitepoint.com and read the SEO forums there. there are a lot of REALLY good suggestions on how to build your traffic.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:23 PM

What is adsense arbitrage?
Old 10-09-2006, 04:42 PM

I'll give it a bash but you may not like it...

Basically you want to work from home that means you will have to either sell some kind of product, or provide some kind of service. Dont believe any of the scams or other crap telling you that you can earn this sat on your ass filing out surveys etc.

Unless you want to start door-to-door selling some kind of catalogue stuff you are going to need to set up a website, maybe more than one in the long term. This means your going to need to learn some basic web design skills, stuff like HTML, PHP etc. There are plenty of books and sites out there to help you, just use a search engine! You dont need to become an expert but you are going to have to get off your ass and learn at least the basics. You could buy a site from someone but in the end you'll probably lose more than you make, the easy options just rarely work out.

You're going to need to find something you'll enjoy selling or providing, either products you have an interest in, or a content based site where you have a keen interest in the content. This isnt nessecary but it will make your job a whole lot more interesting and profitable if you enjoy working on it. If its products you'll need to buy them from someone reliable, and know that you can resell them at a profit and in the volume that will make you the cash you need. If you are selling something that yeilds $10 a sell, thats probably around 200+ a month you will need to sell after you take costs and taxes...thats a lot!

Then your going to need to build the site and get traffic to the site, harder than what it sounds but doable with a little research.

There is no easy step plan like do this, then this, then this = $1500 per month...if it was that easy everyone would be doing it. So you need a reality check if you dont envisage doing much work or learning anything new. $1500 a month may not sound a lot but its a damn sight harder to get this regularly, and long term, out of a website than most think.

Its a trade off I guess, you either get a job or learn to do this and put the time and effort in to make it a success. If you choose to make the web an income source I suggest you get started double time now! You may be surprised how long it will take you to get it to a $1500 a month stage starting from scratch and from the sounds of it you dont have much $ behind you.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I worked for Cutco for several years and am familiar. Top level sales people in these jobs are frequently lost to other top sales positions because the pay is not competitive. Assuming I worked 55 hours a week (very hard with self driven sales) I could do around 50-75k a year fairly easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thremp,

OP doesn't seem to be motivated to do much hard work. He's not gunning for 50k/yr plus. He only needs 18k. Given a product that yields a high enough commission, 6 sales/month may be enough to maintain his targeted income. He also has the option of selling other products to the same suckers err network.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I worked for Cutco for several years and am familiar. Top level sales people in these jobs are frequently lost to other top sales positions because the pay is not competitive. Assuming I worked 55 hours a week (very hard with self driven sales) I could do around 50-75k a year fairly easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thremp,

OP doesn't seem to be motivated to do much hard work. He's not gunning for 50k/yr plus. He only needs 18k. Given a product that yields a high enough commission, 6 sales/month may be enough to maintain his targeted income. He also has the option of selling other products to the same suckers err network.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't really call them suckers. They aren't buying the product. They are helping me. If he worked hard for 3 months than moved to doing 1 appt every other day he would clear 15k a year. God forbid he works hard for 3-4 days and takes the rest of the month off. ZOMG
Old 10-09-2006, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is adsense arbitrage?

[/ QUOTE ]

buying google adwords (paid advertising) to get visitors to your site, but making more off the adsense ads you are displaying than you pay in advertising.

basically just paying per click to get people to your pay per click site
Old 10-11-2006, 12:44 PM

50 sites for 1500 bucks = $30/site/month. Do crappy sites really sell that little in adverts, even with an effective SEO campaign, linkage, etc?

Can you give a link for an example of a site of this type? I had (apparently incorrectly) thought that even the crappiest sites could make more than this with a good SEO campaign to acquire good (and free) positioning without using PPC...
Old 10-11-2006, 01:32 PM

$30/mo is VERY easy to do for service based sites, like proxies & free image hosts and the like. It's a bit harder to generate organic traffic for informational sites quickly.

Search for just about any topic (like mesothelioma) and look 4-5 pages in. You'll find sites like this one
http://www.mesotheliomacancerhelp.org/

you can host 50 of these sites for less than $20/mo total, and your only other expense is domain registration, which can be as cheap as $6 from some registrars without any other bundled products (like the $2 godaddy names with SSL certs)
Old 10-11-2006, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$30/mo is VERY easy to do for service based sites, like proxies & free image hosts and the like. It's a bit harder to generate organic traffic for informational sites quickly.

Search for just about any topic (like mesothelioma) and look 4-5 pages in. You'll find sites like this one
http://www.mesotheliomacancerhelp.org/

you can host 50 of these sites for less than $20/mo total, and your only other expense is domain registration, which can be as cheap as $6 from some registrars without any other bundled products (like the $2 godaddy names with SSL certs)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the post above it is a quite profitable venture if you do a few campaigns and really test the waters. You can't go in blind and expect to make a ton.

Chicago