Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 07:38 PM

Default Re: The Devils Wears Hillary

[ QUOTE ]
No, I'm not a Drudge reader. I stick to Joseph Ellis and Ed Miller.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so dumb I Googled both the above (hoping to find the left wing equivalent of RealClearPolitics.com).

~ Rick
Old 09-26-2006, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so dumb I Googled both the above (hoping to find the left wing equivalent of RealClearPolitics.com).

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

A "left wing equivalent" of realclear? Why would you want such a thing, unless you are implying that realclear is conservative?

That is a ludicrous assertion (unless you look strictly at financial articles, which, in the US are bound to be conservative). Over any given week realclear's links to conservative and liberal authors couldnt be more balanced unless they counted the words in each link.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.

-Albert Einstein

[/ QUOTE ]

Good quote Andy. I'd also like to point out that common sense is usually wrong.

on a side note, why are you and [censored] still green? You don't mod any forums, do you? Do you still have any type of mod privelges?
Old 09-26-2006, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

A "left wing equivalent" of realclear? Why would you want such a thing, unless you are implying that realclear is conservative?

That is a ludicrous assertion (unless you look strictly at financial articles, which, in the US are bound to be conservative). Over any given week realclear's links to conservative and liberal authors couldnt be more balanced unless they counted the words in each link.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cliff Notes below:

My politics are probably center/right conservative. I would say my friend Andy's are out on the left, perhaps far out on the left. Of course many of us think of ourselves closer to the center than the people we respectively disagree with, so Andy might say he's center/left, while he thinks I'm on the loony fringe right. But he lives in West LA, so there he is in the center. But I used to have fun arguing with Andy about politics, back when I had more time. Then he invites me to ball games and dinner. Go figure.

IMHO RealClear is very fair, but on the top of its home page it features mostly links to articles/columns from at least the moderately conservative right; yet it will usually link to the most talked about articles/columns from the left. This helps makes RealClear a great site. I think its editorial perspective is center/right conservative, i.e., close to mine. So RealClear is one of the top links for a conservative like me who still wants to find out what the "best of the left" is thinking.

I asked Andy the above because in the past I've encouraged him to look over RealClear but at the same time wonder if there is a left wing equivalent. I tend to find the left far more shrill and incapable of even acknowledging viewpoints of the right so I'm still hoping to find their equivalent to RealClear.

Note that My three main daily political links are RealClear, Drudge, and this forum. I'd like to add a fourth that is a little more from the left. Hope you don't find this ludicrous.

-----------

Cliff Notes: I was curious if my friend Andy made a daily scan of something that is reasonably fair as IMO RealClear is but centers on the left wing perspective.

Regards,

Rick
Old 09-27-2006, 12:05 AM

Nope not ludicrous at all...I just read into your post something you didnt intend. I dont care much for Drudge. Online realclear stands out from the rest I think (though my WSJ and Weekly Standard I get online). If the editorials are right leaning maybe its because im further right because they seem to me to be right down the middle.

As you note, the liberal side tends to be more shrill, though that may be a function of whos in power. If the balance changes in Nov or in 2008 that could change. Right now, though, moveon and liberal bloggers dominate the that side of the spectrum and they do nothing but spout the party line. Id be shocked if there is anything moderately left of center that links to the important liberal editorials as well as realclear.

On the financial reporting side there is some relationship with Larry Kudlow which lends it its conservative bent.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont care much for Drudge.

[/ QUOTE ]

His site isn't anything like RealClear but it has a lot of goofy/fun links mixed in with serious stuff.

[ QUOTE ]
Online realclear stands out from the rest I think (though my WSJ and Weekly Standard I get online).

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are also good along with a few others but I only have so much time so I stick mostly to RealClear. I almost never watch TV news and don't read the regular paper that often the way I used to (unfortunately, the only major paper in my area is the LA Times). Good talk radio and the online sites seem to fill in news well for me, along with the Atlantic Monthly which IMO is tops for big picture analysis.

[ QUOTE ]
If the editorials are right leaning maybe its because im further right because they seem to me to be right down the middle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sort of about where a George Will or Hugh Hewitt is politically. That's center right from my perspective.

[ QUOTE ]
As you note, the liberal side tends to be more shrill,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd listen to Air America once in a while just to see what's up with them. Most of their people make Michael Savage sound centrist. The Bush hate is totally out of control. Even on a first time listen to an unknown weekend talker on a random station (I like talk radio more than music in the car these days due to road noise and my disdain for loud music as I age) you can almost guess liberal/conservative with about 80% accuracy from a certain shrillness/snideness in thier tone mid-way through the first sentence.

[ QUOTE ]
Right now, though, moveon and liberal bloggers dominate the that side of the spectrum and they do nothing but spout the party line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the right was fairly well represented here with blogs like Little Green Footballs and so on. Don't have time to read the blogs lately though so I don't have a good feel for this.

[ QUOTE ]
Id be shocked if there is anything moderately left of center that links to the important liberal editorials as well as realclear.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you meant "that links to the important conservative editorials" above. I think a one stop site that centers on your own political leanings yet reaches out to important or controversial material from the other side (as RealClear does) is a great idea.

[ QUOTE ]
On the financial reporting side there is some relationship with Larry Kudlow which lends it its conservative bent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm too broke to worry about financial stuff, but I do like the Robert Samuelson columns in Newsweek. That guy makes tons of sense but I have no idea if he is liberal or conservative (this isn't original thinking on my part, others have stated this and I agree). This helps makes him a great read.

~ Rick
Old 09-27-2006, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for 2006, Falwell said that "I think we're going to keep the House and the Senate. I think the Lord will take care of that."

[/ QUOTE ]

The Lord works in mysterious ways.