Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2006, 11:10 PM

Default Re: Rate Movies You Recently Watched

Touching the Void - A quasi-documentary about the true story of two men who decide to climb an unclimbed mountain deep in Peru, and things go horribly, horribly wrong. Very gripping. Ridiculously intense. 9/10

X-men: The Last Stand - I'd heard a lot of bad things about this movie, so I went into it expecting a train wreck, but it was surprisingly watchable. I don't think it was as good as the first 2 installments, but it wasn't too bad at all. 6.5/10.

The Office Season 2 (NBC) - Yes, you nits, I know this isn't a movie. Going into it, I never thought the BBC version could be topped. I was wrong. It's close, but I think I prefer the NBC version. Jim putting Dwight's stuff in a vending machine made me laugh harder and longer than anything I've seen on TV in quite some time. 9.5/10
Old 09-10-2006, 11:16 PM

Flight of the Phoenix - 2/10 - it's just terrible all around
Brokeback Mountain - 6/10 - I was really looking forward to this movie, and it did nothing for me. It just dragged on, and on, and on, and on. Plot was lacking.
Lord of War - 7/10 - Also dragged a bit, but overall was pretty entertaining.
Alfie - 9/10 - I thought this movie was great. I don't really know what to say about it, but Jude Law did a good job - and the girls are hot too
Hero - 8.5/10 - Enjoyable movie. Use of colour is great. Watch it with subtitles.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Currently in the middle of The Life Aquatic, Man On Fire, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, True Grit, Ninja Checkmate and Drunken Master.

[/ QUOTE ]

Literally? What kind of crazy ADD [censored] is this? Is having 6 different movies that you're watching in chunks standard for people?
Old 09-11-2006, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Touching the Void - A quasi-documentary about the true story of two men who decide to climb an unclimbed mountain deep in Peru, and things go horribly, horribly wrong. Very gripping. Ridiculously intense. 9/10

[/ QUOTE ]

Way more people need to see this. One of the most memorable films I've seen in the last few years, but incredibly overlooked. Amazing story, even more amazing because it's true. You'll be watching it and thinking it can't possibly be true, yet the evidence that it is is right in front of you. Definitely seek it out.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:33 AM

past 2 weeks or so:

The Illusionist: 9/10.. really good, thought the ending could've used a little tweaking

Beerfest: 7/10.. but i saw it drunk with a bunch of friends. obviously not going to win any oscars.

Inside man: 6/10.. not as good as i had heard, still kept me fairly entertained

Brick: 6/10.. could have been a lot better than it was.

I, Robot: 7/10.. i put off seeing this for a long time because i dislike will smith.. but it was actually pretty good. loses a point or two for the product placements.

The producers (2005 version). 1/10.. it was terrible. didn't even make it through the whole thing and thats pretty rare for me. i thought the original version was pretty good, too.

Paradise Now: 8/10

The Woodsman: 8/10.. kevin bacon's best performance, at least that i've seen. but god it was so depressing

Lord of war: 6/10.. it was ok, thought nicolas cage was miscast tho. couldve been a lot better.

Grandma's boy: 3/10.. pretty bad, had a few hilarious parts but most of it just made me groan or sigh

Kung Fu Hustle: 4/10.. i liked shaolin soccer but this one just didn't do it for me
Old 09-11-2006, 01:12 AM

Spartan - 7.5/10
Very good movie, I'd like to rate it higher. The plot had a few holes in it and much of the story was rather cliche. However, David Mamet is a brilliant writer (at least for stage) and with this treatment he gave and old dog new tricks, so to speak. The mood created was effectively grim and haunting and the all star cast came through on the acting side (Val Kilmer is very under rated).

Little Miss Sunshine - 7.5/10
Great movie, but not as great as I've been hearing it would be. It simply wasn't as "eye opening" as it intended to be. The film meandered in a confused fashion over whether it wanted to be convincing or absurd. Still, some great laughs.

Beerfest - 2/10
I hate to give a beer themed movie this bad of a rating, but this one is simply horrid. I assumed wrongly that my sentiments would be shared by everyone, but again and again I'm confronted with the impossibly sad state of the movie going masses' taste. Shame on you for enjoying this film.

London - 7
Seemed to be written as a stage play. The set was constrained to a few locations and the script was very dialogue rich reminding me of "Closer". Definetly some very intense moments which communicate the emotions of the characters perfectly. The movie was lacking in purpose for me, but damn it was a fun character study. Interesting to see Jason Statham with hair. Positively increased my attitude towards Jessica Biel as an actress (though she's always been a knockout).

It's been awhile since I've seen any 9's. Probably the last one I saw that hit that rating for me is a hidden gem called Shock to the System starring Michael Caine. It's a black comedy reminiscent of American Psycho, where Caine murderously climbs the corporate ladder. I don't reccommend the film to everybody, but it certainly satisfies its niche.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Beerfest: 7/10.. but i saw it drunk with a bunch of friends. obviously not going to win any oscars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beerfest was the most disappointing movie I have seen since Club Dredd, complete disaster. I keep hoping (as does everyone else) that SuperTroopers will be replicated somehow.

Movies I have seen recently:

Beerfest: 0/10 - Terrible everywhere

Westworld: 8/10 - One of my favorite oldish movies, its like Terminator.

Crank: 7/10 - Pretty cool

Grandma's Boy: 4/10 - Had some great lines

John Tucker Must Die: 4/10 - Could have pushed the skin envelope considerably farther, even though it was PG13

Ricky Bobby Taladega Whatever: 8/10 - Hilarious, even though its the same Will Farell character I thought this was ridiculously funny.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:05 AM

Beerfest - 7/10

Half the people I saw it with hated it and half loved it. I dont know what people were expecting from it but I was laughing quite a bit during the movie.

Hollywoodland - 7/10

Much better than I ecxpected.

The Illusionist - 8/10

Awesome movie. Id recommend it.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:56 AM

Lord Of War - 8/10

Oceans 11 (2001) - 8/10
Old 09-11-2006, 06:55 AM

Old boy: Korean revenge drama. I saw a plot twist coming a mile off which somewhat spoiled it for me but overall a very good film. Pacing was great it didn’t lag at any point but also didn’t feel like a series of set pieces strung together by a week plot. Lots of arresting visual images and stylish cinematography. 8.5/10

The life aquatic: gentle comedy set in its own world.
I never really suspended disbelief for this movie. The jokes aren’t strong enough for a comedy and the plot isn’t strong enough for it to be a drama. In the end I liked it as study of people’s relationships. 7.5/10

Team America World Police: It’s like watching a Jerry Bruckheimer action movie played by marionettes which wasn’t really what I was expecting. Too much of it is played with a straight face and too few of the Jokes are really laugh out loud funny.6/10

The Yes Men: Documentary, two Americans set up a web site mimicking the WTO's. The web site gets them invitations from trade organisations to speak to their members. They attend and make satirical presentations. Sadly they are not Jonathan Swift and their satire isn’t particularly funny or biting. 5/10