Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2006, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Most Disappointing Wrestling Matches

[ QUOTE ]
Goldberg and Scott Steiner should have a "neckbreak" match in which the only way you can win is to botch some move and break your opponents neck. Then the winner will break his own neck in the celebration and we'll finally be rid of these two idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahmed Johnson calls next...or should that be necks...?
Old 08-13-2006, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Surprised no one has mentioned Ultimate Warrior vs Hogan II (in WCW).

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, this was the worst match ever.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hogan vs Sting, Starcade '97

Obviously not looking at this from a technical standpoint, this match was a disaster and the real beginning of the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone mentioned above, this is the match I immediately thought of as well... Wasn't it the very next night on Nitro that Sting won the belt from Hogan in a better version of the match from the night before that was hyped forever? I remember that being one of the best Nitros I saw, but it followed one of the worst pay per view matches I have ever seen...
Old 08-13-2006, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not that they were talented wrestlers or anything, but I remember being really disappointed when Yokozuna defended his title against Lex Luger. Luger hit him with the elbow and knocked him out of the ring.....Yokozuna got counted out and Lex just let this happen, knowing full well that the title can't change hands on a countout. I remember being so disappointed and confused as to why he would let this happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple classic Luger clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHTj7qfnTak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsHwFyY3jrk

Honestly I don't know how he remained a face for as long as he did. Did people actually cheer for him? He was reportedly a deuche backstage as well.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jack Bando, why did you think Goldberg-Nash killed Goldberg forever? I mean, eventually he had to lose, and I think that him losing by a taser didn't diminish anything about him being invincible. If he had won it back after a few months from Nash, I think he would've been just as popular...but yeah, it was silly to do that with Hogan.

[/ QUOTE ]

It did severe damage to him though at minimum. Afterwards in WCW, he won the US title for a day, won the heavyweight title for a day (match considered unsactioned), and won the Tag Titles for a week.

His run in WWE was half decent. Go unefeated for half the year, lose to HHH. Win the WHC title, hold it for two months.

The thing is, he doesn't have a great moveset, so he needs to use style and charisma over substance. If you're booked as a wrecking machine, and then you get beat up twice in a month, what's left?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never really understood why he took so much grief for his moveset. He was no Hart or HHH, but he was no worse of a technical wrestler than Hogan, Warrior, or Rock.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a Ric Flair vs. Bret Hart match from WCW that I remember being pretty disappointing, considering that they are each arguably the best ever. I always got the idea that WCW just didn't demand great performances the way WWF did. I think there was also a Curt Henning vs. Ric Flair match that was pretty bad in WCW too, but Henning might have been pretty banged up at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Henning was a fantastic wrestler in his prime. It's a shame he never won the big belt. A couple of his matches vs. Hart in the WWF were classics. Also, Hart's first championship win vs. Flair (when Flair was leaving WWF) is on youtube - good match.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any match in the WCW involving Bret Hart. His tenure in WCW was confused and inconsistent.

There were so many potentially great matches. But somehow they screwed up all the oppurtunities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I would say every single instance of how WCW used Bret Hart was nothing but one disappointment after another.

I mean here's a guy who has made Stone Cold pass out, spit on Vince McMahon in public and can legitimately say he never lost the WWE World Championship and you cant find a way to use him? Give me a [censored] break Eric Bischoff is the biggest [censored] joke ever in wrestling. He stole one [censored] good idea and had the luxory of being able to do the biggest heel turn in history and has built a [censored] imaginary reputation out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, a Hogan-Hart feud was there for the taking in WCW but somehow it never developed. The night after Savage defeated Sting for the belt with the help of Nash, he defended the belt vs. Hogan on Nitro. Nash tried to help him win again and Hart inexplicably helps Hogan get the win - and they never did a an adequate job of explaining this. Savage was the man and he had to job to Hogan every freaking time he won the belt, which was tragic since he was so much better of a wrestler.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jack Bando, why did you think Goldberg-Nash killed Goldberg forever? I mean, eventually he had to lose, and I think that him losing by a taser didn't diminish anything about him being invincible. If he had won it back after a few months from Nash, I think he would've been just as popular...but yeah, it was silly to do that with Hogan.

[/ QUOTE ]

It did severe damage to him though at minimum. Afterwards in WCW, he won the US title for a day, won the heavyweight title for a day (match considered unsactioned), and won the Tag Titles for a week.

His run in WWE was half decent. Go unefeated for half the year, lose to HHH. Win the WHC title, hold it for two months.

The thing is, he doesn't have a great moveset, so he needs to use style and charisma over substance. If you're booked as a wrecking machine, and then you get beat up twice in a month, what's left?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never really understood why he took so much grief for his moveset. He was no Hart or HHH, but he was no worse of a technical wrestler than Hogan, Warrior, or Rock.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not really about being technically proficient, or Chris Benoit would be king of the universe. Rock looked good in the ring, and sold his opponent's offense as well as anyone in history. Watch Rock take a stunner, it looks like he was hit with a 12-guage. Hogan knows how to tell a story in the ring, and brings a lot of emotion to his best matches. Warrior, ok he sucked. But Goldie never had any ability to do anything in the ring other than spear jackhammer spit roar.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:55 PM

WCW's first apperance on WWE after the takeover. I don't remember who the wrestlers were, I know it was Booker T vs someone else. Maybe DDP. The two looked clumsy in the ring and the crowd wasn't happy. Maybe they weren't used to the WWE's larger ring.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WCW's first apperance on WWE after the takeover. I don't remember who the wrestlers were, I know it was Booker T vs someone else. Maybe DDP. The two looked clumsy in the ring and the crowd wasn't happy. Maybe they weren't used to the WWE's larger ring.

[/ QUOTE ]
Strictly from memory I think that Buff Bagwell was involved in this match which would explain it sucking.