Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2006, 03:49 AM

Default Re: Stop Hating!

Cunningham said what he folded quite often - and even showed a few hands. I think he was trying to keep everyone loose. So I don't think you could judge who the pro was from that either.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cunningham said what he folded quite often - and even showed a few hands. I think he was trying to keep everyone loose. So I don't think you could judge who the pro was from that either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying it's some kind of 1st grade truism, like "anyone who shows a hand sucks." I'm saying, if you watched these guys and how they acted, you could make a pretty good assessment of who the better players are. Either I was unclear or everyone is in the mood to pick nits.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I see you're just trying to pick a fight, so have fun with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

is that the standard response in this forum? when faced with an argument that you can't counter, just claim that the other person is "looking for a fight" and abort?

ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you really are trying to pick a fight with everybody, not just me. I didn't think it was personal, but damn.
You didn't get back to the other thread. It really seems you're the one saying nonsensical things and then 'aborting'. Then finding another thread to pick a fight in.
Did you actually watch the PPV today and sweat the FT, much less follow it the other days? You seem to be the only fanboy here. It has nothing to do with Gold, but people discussing something they know little about.
I feel like half the forum has gone crazy, or maybe i'm taking crazy pills. The only discussion of Gold's play is after the other donk practically gave him 1/5 of the chips in play! He had over half of them at that point.
And yes, he's a competent, decent player. He was able to capitalize with his big stack and some of the other players.
Previous to that he had donked off about 10 million by smooth calling PFR's and check folding flops. He was getting owned (that's an exaggeration) by the entire table.
He's obviously much better than the average player. We can even say he's the greatest. It's not really the point. It just irks me on some fundamental level that people are discussing it like the ME started with 5 players left, plus ignoring the fact that any winner, in such a LARGE field, will undoubtedly have the lucky streak of his life, completely regardless of skill.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:03 AM

Its great that Jamie won and all, but how much respect can you give to a guy who said he didnt even want to win in the first place?
Old 08-12-2006, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its great that Jamie won and all, but how much respect can you give to a guy who said he didnt even want to win in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

All respect he is due.

Im sure there are [censored] of great online players on this board, but for live play Gold is gold and is generally better than an easy 90% of this board.

Why put the guy down?

Here is all i needed to know when i heard he was champ:

HE DOMINATED FOR 4 FREAKING DAYS

El D has it 100% correct. If this was DN, BG or Raymer theyd be scattering laurels wherever the guy walked.

A huge chunk of this hate comes down to one thing. Jealousy.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:53 AM

Pure and simple not matter who wins people are going to hate you. I never saw Jamie Gold have to pull out miraclous suckouts but some are comparing him to aaron kanter which is ridiculous.

He had a huge dominating chip lead which allows you to make mistakes. Is he supposed to apologize for getting better cards then his opponents? Tell me one person here who would lay down pocket queens preflop and tell the table "You know its not fair that I keep getting these so I'm just going to fold them this time to be fair"

Sure he had great cards and a big stack but he managed it really well the last 4 days and I think most people are jealous that he never suffered a major suckout or bad beat during the way because that seems to always happen to the haters and they hate him even more for that reason alone. I think it also matters that Gold has the stereotype of a hollywood agent and is already rich which people would rather see a person that needs the money win. It seems to me that the ideal champion here would be some young online kid just out of college who is dirt poor but somehow finds time to post on this forum lol

I know doug kim has alot of support here since he is a member but interesting to see what people would have said about him if he won. I was pulling for him but I think jamie gold was a deserving champion.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:21 AM

That's a good point too. Part of great poker is not so much playing error free but making sure that errors you make are cheap.