Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2006, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Summation of sorts...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Dealers with command of the language and the table ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaks volumes about the current state of Dealers that you have to preface anything this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm dealing with reality when I say this but this doesn't make them bad dealers or bad people for that matter. For a variety of reasons often discussed elsewhere in these forums dealing poker in LA is very tough - a dealer in LA tends to face far more abuse than in other areas. I don't think it's because people in LA are meaner than people from other parts of the nation; my observation is that the card clubs have established a tradition of toleration for abusive player behavior and incorrectly think barring inherently abusive people is bad for business (this is despite strong efforts by some people in the business to correct this).

Because many native born Americans won't tolerate abuse, many dealers in LA are relatively recent immigrants, some lacking strong language skills or, even if they are good with the language, are intimidated by abusive customers. But they generally work very hard and do a good job. I know several who have children pulling down straight A's in school; IMO they epitomize the American dream of working hard in a tough job to see your children prosper.

~ Rick
Old 08-07-2006, 09:48 PM

Default Re: You make the ruling: Do the big chips play in this \"all-in\" push?

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. The only reason I am hesistant to say that is the right way is in LA they have two sizes of white chips. If these are the larger ones that make a big difference. If stacked on the bottom one would be able to see the larger chips. I do not thing the "regular sized" white chips should be allowed on these tables, they should be reserved for white chips games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think these were the small chips but I could be wrong. In any event the chips were against the rail covered by the yellow $5 chips. They were partially visible if you were standing or sitting somewhat behind or to the side and behind.

~ Rick
Old 08-07-2006, 09:52 PM

I always use the flat view since the threaded view drives me crazy, so I sometimes miss that there are subgroupings under a post.

[ QUOTE ]
"All higher denomination chips must remain in their own stack or be stacked on the top of lower denomination chips. In both cases they must be clearly visible to the dealer and players. In games where $100 bills play they must be clearly visible and hide no bills of lower denominations."

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like your wording, and I think it would probably be sufficient. The reason I like explicit mention of high value chips in front is that it just removes that much more room for argument. I think there's usually room for both high value chips and some low value chips at the front so that you have easy access to your frequently used chips.

I don't actually know how to word the way I keep my chips but I think its the best way (obviously, or I wouldn't use it). I keep all of my chips in stacks of 20 and keep them in groups by value and make sure each grouping is visible to players. Then to the right of those chips I keep my < 20 chips that I use/play with. Edit: Like this with H being high chips, L low chips. There's nothing better than winning a pot and creating another full stack [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

HHHLLL
HHHLLL
--------
ME
Old 08-07-2006, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always use the flat view since the threaded view drives me crazy, so I sometimes miss that there are subgroupings under a post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too but I like to follow threading. I sometimes read Paul Phillips Live Journal, and the Live Journal software has a sort of hybrid flat/threaded mode, where you can read in flat but for the most part (except in deep threads) follow the threading yet read in flat. Wonder why this forum can't find software that will do that.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

~ Rick