Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2006, 06:00 PM

Default Re: UPDATE 2 ..More Good News OG Bill .....

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm...Pelosi talks a good game, but I've been unimpressed.

[/ QUOTE ]After thinking about this for awhile, I decided I couldn't let it go without comment. It seems to me that you have a very narrow definition of liberal. I don't really know much about Pelosi - other than what is reported in the national media - so I looked up her record on Project Vote Smart. I scanned thru the list of issue groups and she supported the groups I would consider liberal 80%+ (most were 100%). The National Journal said in 2005 she voted more liberal on economic, defense and foreign policy issues than 90 percent of the Representatives and she voted more liberal on social policy issues than 96 percent of the Representatives. That sounds liberal to me.

Having said that, I do agree with you that liberals are much less likely to support banning of Internet gambling. I also think this issue is going to keep coming up as long as Republicans control the Congress. I've never been a single issue voter, and I don't think I will be on this issue either, but I am tired of the influence that the social conservatives seem to have on the Republican party.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:01 PM

You call that an apology [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]?
Old 08-03-2006, 06:53 PM

maybe "unimpressed" was a little vague/unfair. I have issues with her leadership, and she's made some public statements that have left me scratching my head. But I recognize it's not easy to be in a minority position (especially when you're trying to represent liberals and centrists), and if she gets to be speaker at some point, she'll have a clean slate with me.