Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2006, 02:35 PM

Default Re: stultus es

very well said bluff this. it really sums it up in one spot. if lebanon isnt respnding it is because they agree or are afraid to. in which case southern lebanon is really the country of hisballa. and gives israel the right to take it over unless the govt. in lebanon comes out with a blanket statement that they recognize israel to exist and will do what they can to control the situation. that and only maybe that will give them credibility as being the owner of all of lebanon.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:27 PM

Default Re: how israel reacts to attacks

i honestly cannot see how israel is acting "clearly wrong". i guess i can, but not in the context you are using the phrase. i think israel has shown EXTREME patience and restraint over the years. the fact that there are not three or four parking lots in the middle east shows that israel has been measured in their response to constant and consistent aggression.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:09 PM

I came across this article, which I think brings in another persepctive which, in my opinion, should not be overlooked....

Beyond the War in Lebanon

[ QUOTE ]
Since the triumph of 2000, Hasan Nasrallah, Hizbullah's secretary general, has enjoyed superstar status in the Arab world - mainly for leading the first Arab party to retrieve occupied Arab territories through armed resistance against Israel. He is articulate, analytically rigorous, and he usually delivers on his promises. He no doubt saw the July 12 operation that provided casus belli to Israel as an opportunity to stiffen the backs of the Palestinians, and to further bolster Hizbullah as an exemplar for resistance.

But strong criticism from Egypt, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia underlines that it behaved recklessly, <font color="blue"> and in doing so provided an excuse for Israel to launch a war that it has long prepared to fight. If Israeli generals delight in the prospect of cutting Hizbullah down to size, the more important dimension of Israel's new war is preparing the battlefield vis-à-vis Iran.</font> Israeli generals have already asserted an Iranian role in the firing of a missile that disabled an Israeli naval ship, killing four sailors. <font color="blue"> If Hizbullah's capacity to bombard Israel is even significantly reduced, then it will be easier for Israel to attack Iran's nuclear sites later. Israel has obviously been preparing for such an attack for several years, and if the US and the other players in the so-called "Five plus One" fail in their efforts to temper Iran's nuclear programs, Israel will most likely move against Iran. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-19-2006, 05:15 PM

Default What Israel Wants

I don't think Israel wants Lebanon to have the resources to deal with Hezbollah.

1) They fear Hezbollah acquiring those resources, possibly even through electoral democratic means.
2) They prefer a weak power vacuum as a buffer region. Israel wants politically weak neighbors, but those are exactly the sorts of conditions that allow organizations like Hezbollah to flourish.
3) They want to remind the Palestinians that they will attack as relentlessly if Hamas does anything.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:17 PM

Default Israel\'s motivations

morph,

Any strategic analysis by any side in the conflict has many layers. Even if Israel welcomes a conflict with Hezbollah, then Hezbollah gave them the opportunity for they attacked Israel first. If you think a rattlesnake is just lying in wait to bite you then you shouldn't poke it with a short stick.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:51 PM

Good to here nice and human logic.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:15 PM

this forum is full of extremists
Old 07-19-2006, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

like a see-saw, you are so far to the extreme you manage to balance this forum all by yourself.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

like a see-saw, you are so far to the extreme you manage to balance this forum all by yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just spit my soda.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just spit my soda.

[/ QUOTE ]

the least I could do for your teaching me what *'s mean...at least I think that was the implication of your "banned" response.