Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2006, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Giving the Wal-Mart Associate an \"Extra\" Tip. Got Advice?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure that Wal Mart employees are supposed to do this if you ask them anyway...If not $100 is way too much. I think $20 would be generous.

-Craig

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-19-2006, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Walmart- The High Cost of Low Price can be downloaded from this page. It's almost halfway down the page. Just in case you're interested in becoming "hilarious".

[/ QUOTE ]
Just watched this.

Some valid points made in the movie:

<ul type="square">[*]Walmart store gets tax break to set up shop. When the tax break expires, Walmart moves the store two miles away to avoid having to pay taxes at the old location. While you have to admire their 'business sense', I doubt that they told the city council in the first location that they were going to screw the city like this. The city council traded a short term gain (taxes for X years) for a long term gain (increases in tax revenue for every year after X) in good faith... and got screwed for it.[*]Walmart 'suggests' that their employees work overtime without getting paid for it.[*]Walmart managers log into the time keeping system as a superuser and move time (overtime) from one week to the next week to avoid having to pay overtime.[/list]A lot of the movie was 'sentimental [censored]'. I found it very funny when one of the 'regular folks' talked about how 'you used to never be able to find a parking spot downtown, but now that Walmart has moved in there were only 12 cars in all of downtown'. No [censored]! Everybody is shopping at Walmart because they can find everything they need in one store and they don't have to worry about parking!

Walmart does screw it's employees over, it pays low wages, and it does end up putting a lot of downtown Mom and Pop stores out of business, but so did malls.

That said I'm probably more on the Walmart is bad for an area (lower wages = less taxes paid, lower taxes paid by both employees and the store = more of a tax burden on me, lower wage people using more social services = more of a tax burden on me, etc.) side than a supporter.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People that hate Walmart are hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hilarious is one way to put it.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:05 AM

Can someone please confirm that this BLT guy is not just another personality of one of our well-known trolls?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People that hate Walmart are hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan,

There's a lot of legit reasons to hate Wal-Mart.

[/ QUOTE ]
"They treat their employees the worst of almost any company in the US. Walmart is America's #1 corporate criminal."

Those aren't them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time i checked, we live in a free country that allows supply and demand to even themselves out. If walmart treats their employees poorly, then their employees should find a better job. If their employees can't find a better job, then it seems WMT treats them employees correctly.

What am I missing?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Last time i checked, we live in a free country that allows supply and demand to even themselves out. If walmart treats their employees poorly, then their employees should find a better job. If their employees can't find a better job, then it seems WMT treats them employees correctly.

What am I missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people like to whine and feel victimized.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The same can be said for almost all labor laws, right? If your job doesn't offer workers' comp or minimum wage or a 40hr work week or unions, quit. If none of the jobs offer those things, it must be because you deserve your lot in life.
-Sam
Old 07-19-2006, 10:50 AM

The walmart issue is one of the things that I have a really big problem with people bitching about. Walmart is capitalism at its best, it pays their workers above the minumum wage, it isnt exactly the harshest working enviroment, and it isnt forced labor.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The same can be said for almost all labor laws, right? If your job doesn't offer workers' comp or minimum wage or a 40hr work week or unions, quit. If none of the jobs that you can get because you're stupid or lazy to acquire necessary skills offer those things, it must be because you deserve your lot in life.
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The same can be said for almost all labor laws, right? If your job doesn't offer workers' comp or minimum wage or a 40hr work week or unions, quit. If none of the jobs offer those things, it must be because you deserve your lot in life.
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant tell if you are trying to be sarcastic in your comments? Are you? Becuase, ya, basically, they do deserve their lot in life.