Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2006, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Tribute to Intellivision

[ QUOTE ]

My parents were old schoolers. They had their old console...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, what? Your parents had a console?

eastbay
Old 06-30-2006, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

NFL Football:

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, the fine art of holding the controller straight. Trickier than it sounds.

eastbay
Old 06-30-2006, 02:30 AM

What were the other space games? I remember a bunch of us going over to my school's fat momma's-boy's house to play some Intellivision space game as much as possible, but I don't recognize the screen shots in this thread.

It was more like a bunch of spaceships coming at you in space in small clumps, and you had to set your target at them and take them out before they got too close....
Old 06-30-2006, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Uston - yessssssssssss, Beamrider ruled, not sure how I missed that one. Probably one of my top three.

octopi - due to the crash and subsequent drama, I don't think Intellivision was selling many new consoles after ~1985. Besides, I think NES came out about that time. Pretty unusual of your parents to stick you with something largely out of circulation.

DN - now that I think about it we probably didn't do PT boats either. It seemed kind of pointless, chasing the fishing boat around when you could be doing something productive, like fishing or planting crops just ahead of a cloud. Also, you forgot about the hurricanes! Those were badass, particularly when they slowly ripped through the opponent's infrastructure, then doubled back and took out a bunch more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, if you played with PT boats, it turned into a game of "chase-the-fishing-boat" and you really couldn't concentrate on building your hospitals and putting your crops down. The best was finding a school of fish that just sat there so you could park your fishing boat and go back to building.

I saw that they released a Intellivision tribute for PS2, but I refused to buy it because I knew it would tarnish my memory of how great Utopia was.

Advanced D&D also kicked ass.

DN
Old 06-30-2006, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What were the other space games? I remember a bunch of us going over to my school's fat momma's-boy's house to play some Intellivision space game as much as possible, but I don't recognize the screen shots in this thread.

It was more like a bunch of spaceships coming at you in space in small clumps, and you had to set your target at them and take them out before they got too close....

[/ QUOTE ]

Space Battle,Space Hawk or Star Strike?
Old 04-10-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like Space Armada? Basically Space Invaders ported.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:02 PM

I had Atari, my best friend had Intellivision.

My favorites when I went to his house were baseball, auto racing, and Tron.

Thing was, it was such an unfair contest. The controller for Intellivision had a steep learning curve. He could kick my ass on his games because he a) didn't have to look at the overlay to know what buttons to press, and b) in auto racing in particular, he had a better grasp as to the sensitivity of the dial - I always took turns way too hard.

I also hated when the overlay got off-center, so when I thought I was hitting one button, I was really hitting another.

I still have a picture of us posing in front of our high scores on Pitfall that we sent to some video game magazine.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:21 PM

YEEEERRRRRRRR OUTTTT.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:22 PM

Anyone else stick suction cup darts on the controller so you could use it like a joystick? I was all 2600 but friend had Intellivision. Agree that baseball was the best.

KJS
Old 04-10-2007, 01:32 PM

Burgertime and Frog Bog were my joints!