Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2006, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Lets talk about avatars!

I think what you had in your pm is what needed to be said it just might not be the right time to say it yet. If Mat or Cola says we can ban people that refuse to change their avatars then we will send him your pm.

1. 2+2 does not have a rule as to the size of avatars it allows. This thread was in part supposed to be the start of getting to that point. But currently I am just enforcing common sense. Everyone knows that any avatar over half a megabyte is too large. They just don't know how to get the avatar they want under that size so I am doing it for them.

2. Mat and Cola did not say I could ban people over avatar sizes. I don't think they said I could change people’s avatars either. So I might be out of line and I want to wait to see what they think before I make myself look dumber than normal. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

3. I just started trying to clean up the large avatars. So far it has worked fine only one jerk. And if he wants to cause a stink it would be easy. Currently several people have avatars larger than his. Some mods still have large ones. So instead of getting into a discussion with him about it I just want to annoy him till he gives up or gets so mad he does something dumb. If I had cleaned up all the other avatars already and his was the last one then I would be in a better position to argue my case.

We will win in the end no rush.

I sent him the following pm.

[ QUOTE ]

Sent to: Villainaire
630KB is to big keep it under 100kb please.

laters

Stuey

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is weak sauce but we will see what he does and go from there. Sorry for wasting your time I did not think it over well at first. I thought you were just going to tell him he should change his avatar which common sense dictates he should.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What would be really cool is a magic pig turning into a flying nut.

[/ QUOTE ]

? lol
Old 06-23-2006, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2+2 does not have a rule as to the size of avatars it allows.

[/ QUOTE ]

From my point of view, since you are the Avatar Czar, whatever you say the rule is, that's the rule.

But I think this issue goes beyond just the avatar. You told him to do X, and then he said that he would do it and did do it, but only until he thought you left the room & weren't looking any more. Like a child, he's just testing his limits. If he doesn't get the boom lowered on him now, he'll just keep pushing the envelope. That's why my PM was so iron-fisted.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:45 PM

Grunch,

He just replied that he will change it. He said he only changed it back to the large file because the link to file I sent him the first time went dead. I am not sure if this is the truth but he has agreed to change it to a smaller file so I hope that is the end of that. I don't see how the link could go dead without me knowing but hey it all worked out. I don't think he ever saw the weasel avatar though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2006, 06:21 PM

Heh, how could he not have noticed the weasel avatar? That's funny.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:29 PM

I don't think Blarg has noticed his either. I expected more people to send gifts. This has been going on for months so I assume more than 4 people have seen it. They just don't want to give presents? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2006, 07:34 PM

With two more cents, I would never ban someone over an avatar. I would, however, ban someone who did something that I specifically asked them not to do. Two different issues. And I'm pretty lenient and usually give me people several opportunities before resorting to banning. I'd politely ask them to change their avatar explaining the reason, along with perhaps an alternative if Stuey was kind enough to create one. If they refuse, well, it's all about our judgement. If we feel like there avatar is really creating an issue then it's within our role as a Moderator to take appropriate action. We just need to be reasonable with them. I'd say in 99.9% of the cases they'll apologize and gladly take the new avatar. And in that .1% are probably the people who cause other problems anyway.

Stuey thanks for the avatar. It's definitely a good start and I'm using it now - my first avatar ever. Feel free to play around with it at will.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:41 PM

I received a complaint about this avatar.

The person felt it was nsfw. I don't think it is nsfw by 2+2 current standards. There are worse avatars out there. There is one of a cartoon guy with a sword killing schoolgirls and the person has had that avatar a long time so I am lead to believe most mods feel it is sfw.

But I am looking for some feedback as to how to define NSFW. I mentioned it in my OP but have avoided the subject, as it is a difficult one.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:44 PM

I think that avatar is great.

If your boss sees that and thinks you're screwing-around at work, too bad. You're screwing around at work.

If that avatar's a problem, you should just turn-off all avatars.
-Sam
Old 06-27-2006, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the advice I agree with your points and I feel the same way. I am very new to being a mod and wanted to be sure I understood what the goals are here. I would like to hear what others have to say also. I really struggle with this as I can do anything I wish at work. But I often hear people worry about it in the forums.