Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2006, 12:53 AM

Default Re: The Office: BBC or NBC??

US Dwight > British Gareth
Ricky Gervais >>>>> Steve Carrell

the rest is meh

The US version is like all US versions of things - more polished & lacking in soul. I smell the work of focus groups.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be joking.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:13 AM

British comedy has always been much more subtle than the US, so it is hard for me to compare the shows. I can't stand the US version, mostly because so many people I know who love it, would think that the UK version is crap. The humor in the US version makes me mad at Americans because it seems network execs think we have to be hit on the head with jokes to understand them. Sure there are some laughs, but it certainly isn't the same.

I can remember watching the BBC version, and never in my life I have felt more uncomfortable while watching TV than when David Brent is sticking his foot in his mouth again and again. The show had so many moments that a US sitcom can't capture because in US sitcoms the actors tend to overact to get the humor across. The BBC Office captures a sense of reality better than any show ever has, and it is the little subtleties that made it one of the best TV shows I've ever watched. The Tim/Dawn conversation that we don't hear at the end of season 2 was one of the most amazing moments I've ever seen in a TV show. The NBC Office will never EVER be able to pull something off as well as Gervais and his crew did.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ricky Gervais >>>>> Steve Carrell

the rest is meh

[/ QUOTE ]

KEITH!

Finchy!
Old 06-02-2006, 03:28 AM

David: “There are limits to my comedy. There are things that I’ll never laugh at. The handicapped. Because there’s nothing funny about them. Or any deformity. It’s like when you see someone look at a little handicapped and go ‘ooh, look at him, he’s not able-bodied. I am, I’m prejudiced.’ Yeah, well, at least the little handicapped fella is able-minded. Unless he’s not, it’s difficult to tell with the wheelchair ones.”

Gareh: You know that phrase "softly softly catch a monkey"? I could catch a monkey. If I was starving I could. I’d make poison darts out of the poison of the deadly frogs. One milligram of that poison can kill a monkey. Or a man. Prick yourself and you’d be dead within a day. Or longer. Different frogs, different times.

The US one is good, but how can you keep up with stuff like that?

Edit to add one more sweet Gareth quote:

“If you’re so clever, what am I thinking now?”
“You’re thinking how can I kill a tiger armed only with a biro.”
“No.”
“You’re thinking if I crash land in a jungle will I be able to eat my own shoes.”
“No. And you can’t”
“What are you thinking Gareth?”
“I was just wondering whether will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark.”
Old 06-02-2006, 09:50 AM

Without reading the thread, I have to say "damn, good question". I got on the BBC version early on and loved it. When the NBC version was starting, they used the stapler-in-lemon-jello clip over and over again, so I figured it was a straight rip off and didn't watch. Then I caught one episode and loved it. I watched the first season DVD--awesome. I saw most of this season--also excellent. I think they both hold up very well. If I have to match them up:

<u>David Brent vs Michael Scott</u>
Ricky Gervais is a freakin genius. Steve Carell was like the guy following Dean Smith at UNC or something like that. If you are just pretty good, you appear to suck by comparison. If you are great, then you might be accepted. Carell is great. His character is a bit different; not quite as good at making you feel that skin-crawling uncomfortable feeling, but still amazing. He's had more episodes to develop the character as well. Despite David Brent being one of the 20 best TV characters of all time...
(in a shocker) PUSH

<u>Tim vs Jim</u>
Tim, buddy, you were Everyman. I could really root for you. But Jim has like a +1 edge in coolness points--not so much that it kills the character, but just enough to give him the...
EDGE JIM

<u>Dawn vs Pam</u>
The Pam-Jim thing flows more naturally than the Dawn-Tim thing ever did. Pam drunk at the Dundees was tremendous, and she is a solid character on her own. Dawn always seemed more like an extension of Tim somehow. Plus Pam is significantly cuter!
EDGE PAM

<u>Other Office People</u>
Kevin is the man. But Keith is a legend. No one else is even close to these two.
EDGE BBC

<u>Other Characters</u>
Jan over Jennifer, easy. Finchy scores a big point for BBC, however.
EDGE BBC

<u>Gareth vs Dwight</u>
I don't know much about awards, but if Rainn Wilson doesn't win every Supporting Actor in a TV Comedy for the next five years, I demand recounts!

Having said that, Gareth had his momemts. While Dwight is constantly in the center of funny ("Ryan started the fire!"), Gareth's peaks were definitely higher:

"Condoms come in all different flavours nowadays. There's strawberry and curry and that. Do you like curry?"

"I could catch a monkey. If I was starving I could. I'd make poison darts out of the poison of the deadly frogs. One milligram of that poison can kill a monkey. Or a man. Prick yourself and you'd be dead within a day. Or longer. Different frogs, different times."

Close call. Too close.
PUSH

Final tally: PUSH

Both shows hold up very well. I don't think you can find an episode of either that doesn't make you laugh out loud several times.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:54 AM

I offer something to break the tie-break.

Free Love on the Free Love Highway.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:57 AM

I offer another :

'..shag you from behind cos your breath stinks of onions.
'Wahey! One up the bum, no harm done!'
'Nahhh. Not up the arse.'
Old 06-02-2006, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I offer something to break the tie-break.

Free Love on the Free Love Highway.

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading the thread, I was reminded of an awful lot of things in the BBC version I liked and I'm leaning that way. I'm clouded by the four episodes of the NBC version I watched last night.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:01 AM

Second piece of evidence: Keith's self-appraisal + Keith's secret to getting a woman (guaranteed orgasm).