Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2006, 03:35 PM

Default Re: 2 days to spend in Chicago -- what should I do??

One thing I always try to do is eat a hot dog and fries at Gene & Jude's. Here is how it was originally described to me (in an SEC 8-K filing from Expeditors):

It is a place in Chicago near O'Hare airport that has been in business for years. It has had a special place in Expeditors' lore - for example they will yell at you if don't move quickly enough. Heaven help you if you ask for ketchup.

In any event, the folks who own this hot dog stand have successfully resisted suggestions over the years to add hamburgers to the menu. They remain steadfast in their mission to provide a selection of high quality hot dogs. If you want a hamburger, you must go elsewhere.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:42 PM

What kind of activities are you looking for?

Main Hot Bar Areas:
- Wrigleyville
- Lincoln Park
- Rush & Division (more downtown)

Great review sites:
www.metromix.com
www.chicagobarproject.com

Touristy Type Comments:
Navy Pier - blows - it's basically just a big shopping center
Sears Tower - sure, it's big I guess
Hancock - You're better off going here than Sears, since there's a nice restaurant upstairs (signature room) and a bar
Field Museum - Lots of old stuff, not that interesting IMO
Planatarium - has an IMAX theatre
Science & Industry Museum - the tour of the captured submarine is pretty cool if they still do this
Shedd Aquarium - one of the biggest aquariums around, pretty neat if you catch the divers
Art Museum - A pretty cool place

For chicago blues bars, check out Buddy Guy's Legends and Kingston Mines

I'm a sox fan, but I'd still recommend a Cubs game and hit the bars around it (all of clark street is packed, and there are some decent places - irish oak for an irish pub, john barleycorn if you want a place for big groups, etc).

For some amusement, check out the 'wiener circle'. Other places that will be happy to be rude to you are Ed Dbevics diner (spelling) and Dick's Last resort.

If it's summer time, I'd also recommend checking out North Beach, as there is volleyball and swimming...
Old 05-31-2006, 03:44 PM

If you need late night bars, check out:

The Store
Beaumont
Deja Vu

These are all open late for sure (in fact, the store and beaumont OPEN around midnight I think)
Old 05-31-2006, 03:46 PM

Many good things to do listed here.

Don't try to go to MSI on the weekend. You will wait in line for the entire day. FWIW, the MSI is about a $15-20 cab ride each way from Shedd. It is pretty far south.

Museums - Stay on the museum campus near Shedd aquarium. You can see Shedd and the Adler Planetarium in an afternoon, they are right next to each other. Include the Field Museum too if you want to take up your morning. All 3 within walking distance of each other. Park in the East Lot for easiest in/out if you are driving.

Navy Pier is good. Get the fried bucket at Bubba Gumps for lunch. Deep fried Lobster is very good. NP is North from the museum campus (about a $5-8 cab ride).

Hugo's Frog Bar for a very tasty and huge steak and afterwards, bar hotties!

Old 05-31-2006, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

the very good restaurant "Tru" downtown has i believe friday and saturday only dessert reservations, around $25 i think? easier reservations than dinner seatings, significantly cheaper. really cool bar/waiting area at the restaurant, good art/feel to the place, and superior food. dessert chef is gail ganz i believe is the spelling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have more info on this? I'm thinking about doing it.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:05 PM

o
Old 05-31-2006, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

the very good restaurant "Tru" downtown has i believe friday and saturday only dessert reservations, around $25 i think? easier reservations than dinner seatings, significantly cheaper. really cool bar/waiting area at the restaurant, good art/feel to the place, and superior food. dessert chef is gail ganz i believe is the spelling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have more info on this? I'm thinking about doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much just what i said, to my knowledge. look on www.metromix.com for more general chicago stuff, and to look up Tru's phone number. call em and ask for as much details as you want [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i will be doing dessert there this weekend and if you want i can tell you how it is. i've done full meal there and was incredibly happy about the meal and dessert.

citanul
Old 06-01-2006, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wiener Circle for late night food and entertainment.

[/ QUOTE ]

not to mention its one of a kind late night service
Old 06-01-2006, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I definitely would, b/c when am I gonna be in Chicago again?

On the other hand, I doubt many of you would see the appeal.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have nothing to add other then I grew up like 5 minutes from there. It is really beautiful inside of it too, and gilson park is a very nice park
Old 06-01-2006, 08:01 PM

Lots of great ideas

even though it's touristy and I've lived near Chicago most of my life, the architecture cruise was pretty cool

an interesting thing I once did was go through Graceland Cementary (really close to Wrigleyville area)
the tombs devoted to Chicago city founders (post Mrs. O'Leary's cow) like Marshall Field are absolutely amazing
they don't like gawkers much, so be word savvy when trying to get inside

a few nice things about visiting hancock is it's at the end of Michigan (the magnificent mile) and near the water tower place---lots of shopping. Plus, the Oak Street Beach is nice and close. It's at one end of the S-Curve to Lake Shore and you'll see all sorts of couples getting their wedding pictures at the gazebo on the west side of lake shore.

a good linky on city attractions