Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2006, 04:49 AM

Default Re: Great Trash books

how can there be great trash books? a trash book is trash and that is all there is to it
Old 06-08-2006, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how can there be great trash books? a trash book is trash and that is all there is to it

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed! I know I will not have time enoug to read all the books I want to read, let alone spend time on trash. I guess there must be a few immortals amongst us to have time for trash. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PS I would not rate all books quoted on this thread as trash. But then, I would count "Da Vinci Code" and "Atlas Shrugged" as trash I, unfortunately spent my time on. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2006, 05:00 AM

Bruiser

It's like food . Sometimes you want fine steak and wine, sometimes you want a burger and a beer.

There's great burgers and terrible burgers, even though they're all burgers.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's great burgers and terrible burgers, even though they're all burgers

[/ QUOTE ]

4 sure [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] , and my home made burgers starting with marbled fillet ground on demand by my butcher, a few spices, home made mayonaise, fine french mustard and home-made ketchup, topped with frizzy lettuce and gerkins on bread rolls that have a different consistency from wet cardboard beat them all. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Once a year, or so, I go to big M to confirm that they don't serve food! They don't. Even they fries don't match mines by a long shot!
Old 06-08-2006, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bruiser, A book doesn't have to involve solving the mysteries of the universe or the meaning of life to be entertaining. There are plenty of movies that are pure trash but still very entertaining. Nothing wrong with just admitting they're trash and you like them anyway.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bruiser

It's like food . Sometimes you want fine steak and wine, sometimes you want a burger and a beer.

There's great burgers and terrible burgers, even though they're all burgers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, though of course it can be hard to tell what's trash and what's "literature". I mean, P.G. Wodehouse, Chandler and even Dickens were "popular" writers rather than "literary" ones, and have only after some time been seen as brilliant writers well beyond their genre. (Though Dickens is from such a different era, so comparisons aren't entirely valid).

Another interesting question is which current or recent past mega-sales writers might last well beyond their current fame and be recognised in the same way.

My nominations would be Stephen King, (obviously) and Terry Pratchett (controversially).
Old 06-08-2006, 09:37 AM

i've read some trash books, like da vinci code and some superstar ranger tracker english man book... they held my attention and were hard to put down but were trash, just like soap operas and the teenage drama tv my sister watch. they make me sick and i look down on people who aer into that stuff.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and Terry Pratchett (controversially).

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would picking Terry Pratchett be controversial? Too good, or not good enough?
Old 06-11-2006, 11:02 AM

Default Jim Thompson

He wrote the book that was made into the movie Getaway.

Also

James Ellroy; Elmore Leonard; George Pelecanos.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and Terry Pratchett (controversially).

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would picking Terry Pratchett be controversial? Too good, or not good enough?

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought of him early in the thread as well, and also thought it would be controversial. People who love Pratchett tend to think of his books as many-layered parodys and as such would not qualify as trash. I think they're fun trash.