Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2006, 02:24 PM

Default Re: DUIs

[ QUOTE ]
I've been reading the replies and thinking about them. I can see how you people feel. In fact, I'd probably be saying the same thing. But I got a feeling, you would really change your tune if it was your best friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

At lunch I was actually thinking along the same lines. If this were my best friend I wouldn't want to see him go to jail either.

However if this was my best friend after he/she got the 2nd DUI I would have invested alot of time into helping my friend out, be that counseling or paying to have one of those breathalyzers installed in their car. Whatever it took. Maybe you did something like this. Maybe you didn't? But, I hope you did.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Before driving drunk, I would recommend first learning how to drive. If you get pulled over blowing .08 then you suck at driving

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously don't realize the amount of cowboy cops out there that will pull people over pretty much randomly during the early morning hours just looking for someone to stick with a DUI.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:31 PM

I have never gotten a DUI, but I have seen probably in the thousands go through court at one stage or another. Jail for a 3d offense is standard. Where I live your third one is a felony. Sometimes it will get reduced to a misdemeanor, sometimes not. At the felony level a pretty standard sentence for a first felony DUI which is somebody's third or 4th is maybe 120 days jail as a condition of probation and a suspended prison sentence in the 2-4 range. Sometimes they get 6 months in a prison facility for programs and then a probation if they do well. If the case is at the misdemeanor level the person can still expect a chunk of jail. Just depends. I think the penalties for multiple DUIs can be too low. Anybody can get one I suppose. To get two shows you have a problem with something. Usually it means the person is an alcoholic, but however you define it there is an alcohol problem The third one shows the person doesn't get it. I really don't understand how after 2 DUI's people don't just stay home and drink or get rides or whatever. Nobody cares if people drink themselves to death, but DUIs are a whole different deal.

I have seen a lot of cases where people are killed or seriously injured by drunks. They are nasty, difficult ones. partially because many times the person who kills somebody is one of those people who is a "nice guy" otherwise, etc... Your friend deserves jail. Probably won't get quite as much as he deserves. But he should get some.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:38 PM

A good thing to ask the judge for would be jail time on the weekends. My dad's a judge and has given out this sentence before. Basically, it allows the guy to keep a job and his family, etc. and still serve his sentence. Furthermore, it decreases the likelihood of another DUI, since most DUIs happen on Friday/Saturday nights.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You obviously don't realize the amount of cowboy cops out there that will pull people over pretty much randomly during the early morning hours just looking for someone to stick with a DUI.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh hell yeah. As long ago as the early 90s I was pulled over after 1AM on the way home from work. Reason given? I was "weaving". Not so much - the cop and I were the only two cars on the road so for the two miles he tailed me I drove straight as an arrow.

I had very recently had my wallet stolen so had no license or proof of insurance (although I was insured). It was clear that once the pig realized I was sober he had no more use for me. Same type of pullover happened late at night shortly thereafter...for running a stop sign which I clearly didn't do because I saw the cop and made sure I came to a complete, legal stop. He popped me anyway.

So no amount of careful driving can save your ass in this .08 world. The DUIblog link is gold, by the way.

To address the OP's question, I've never been busted for DUI, sorry (?), but there have been times in the (distant) past that I may have deserved it.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A good thing to ask the judge for would be jail time on the weekends. My dad's a judge and has given out this sentence before. Basically, it allows the guy to keep a job and his family, etc. and still serve his sentence. Furthermore, it decreases the likelihood of another DUI, since most DUIs happen on Friday/Saturday nights.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? people actually do this stuf?

Sounds like the plot of a bad movie.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? people actually do this stuf?

Sounds like the plot of a bad movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would that be weekend white collar jail or weekend federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison? Having to become someone's bitch would definitely teach me the error of my ways in no time.

Swede
Old 01-12-2006, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Before driving drunk, I would recommend first learning how to drive. If you get pulled over blowing .08 then you suck at driving

[/ QUOTE ]

Evidently you didn't read the original post. On his 1st offense, he was pulled over for no particular reason. I've had this happen to me on more than one occasion. Around here, if it's 2:30-4:00am and you are on a road anywhere near a bar, it seems some cops will just assume you've been drinking and pull you over. On his 2nd offense, someone was driving the wrong way on the road and hit him head on. 3rd offense, I'm not real sure of the circumstances there, but it doesn't matter. He had been drinking and got arrested for DUI.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quit making excuses. Your not being a friend, your being an enabler. He needs help and you need to tell him that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I live in your perfect world? If you would have read the original post, the night he got his 3rd DUI, I drove him home. How do you see that as enabling?
Old 01-12-2006, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just saying he's a good person and I can't really see him doing jail time (in my mind).

[/ QUOTE ]

I do feel for UR friend. the thing is its not about being good or bad. What this is about is breaking the law. Do U see Y?