Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Re: getting fast cars in automatic....

[ QUOTE ]
how is that? I feel its the only way if you dont want to totally destroy the transmission over time. We are not talking 5 degrees decline here but San Francisco or equivalent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Pittsburgh, and I use the hand brake twice per trip, once when leaving and once when parking.

I don't have any clue what you are doing with it at every stop.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can understand driving automatic if you live in a city with a lot of hills. Using the hand brake at every stop sign gets old really quick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand brake is not necessary if you know what you are doing, unless you're on a 45 degree slope with somebody 6 inches behind you. You just have to be able to catch it with the clutch before it rolls back more than a few inches. You can also heel and toe.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am going to buy a car and a lot of the cars I like are the semi-trick ones like VW GTI and Subaru WRX. The problem is I don't know how to drive a stick shift. Am I a big tool if I get these cars in automatic and just use the paddle shifter occ.? fwiw, its not that i dont want to learn driving a stick its just that I dont want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the [censored] raised you? Is your dad upset you're gay?

Jesus christ

[/ QUOTE ]
Says the dude with the most outrageously gay avatar ever.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to buy a car and a lot of the cars I like are the semi-trick ones like VW GTI and Subaru WRX. The problem is I don't know how to drive a stick shift. Am I a big tool if I get these cars in automatic and just use the paddle shifter occ.? fwiw, its not that i dont want to learn driving a stick its just that I dont want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the F do you care what other people think about your transmission?
Old 11-21-2007, 05:50 PM

Being militantly anti-automatic is a lot more queer than getting a fast car with an automatic tranny, fwiw.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i know how to drive manual, but its a pain in the ass when you're in traffic, hills parallel parking, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're missing the forest for the trees. The important part is having that particular skill. If you live in SF, or really any big city where most of your traffic is SNG, etc, then I completely sympathize with choosing an auto even though manual is more fun.

But that choice should come through experience and education, not ignorance. When it costs so little to learn to drive a manual, why would anyone live the rest of their life not knowing?

Edit: miajag,

I'm pretty pro-manual. I enjoy driving more with that transition. However, the few times I get stuck in traffic, I get really frustrated really quick. If I move to a city where that's my commute, I imagine I'll change over. Still: Why would that be the crux in a car buying decision? If you're going to buy a car, shouldn't the decision hinge on other things? I guess maybe OP values not learning to drive a manual at however much extra he pays, but he's making that decision not knowing how much driving a manual is worth over the course of his life, which is much longer than the life of the car.

Again, that's fine, but it seems odd to me to make that kind of call without at least spending half a day learning a lifelong skill.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i know how to drive manual, but its a pain in the ass when you're in traffic, hills parallel parking, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're missing the forest for the trees. The important part is having that particular skill.
When it costs so little to learn to drive a manual, why would anyone live the rest of their life not knowing?

[/ QUOTE ]

with this logic, you could spend 100% of your time learning random new skills that are free/cheap to learn and don't take that much time. Why is learning to drive manual so important. I know how to drive manual but I never do.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:12 PM

I'd love to see a list of skills that are as ubiquitous and as easy to learn as driving a stick. What are your examples of things I'd spend 100% of my time learning for free? Calligraphy? Proper bowing? Downward-facing-dog? How to neg girls, lowering their self-esteem enough to sleep with me?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being militantly anti-automatic is a lot more queer than getting a fast car with an automatic tranny, fwiw.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so wrong.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's more manly:

* "Yeah, I bought an automatic. You got a problem with that [censored]?"

* "I can't get an automatic or Billy will make fun of me."