Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Joe Theismann Out, Ron Jaworski In?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the 3-man booth is so much the problem as is the personalities involved in it. Having two commentators with personal history (Vermeil/Jaworski, Aikman/Moose) who are friends along with a straight PBP guy is pretty informative and entertaining, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's much harder to find three personalities that mesh well than two. Three obviously can work, but it's much more difficult.

I realize I'm in the minority on this, but I don't know why everyone keeps talking about them finding the next Cosell. Cosell was absolutely obnoxious.

People I've heard in the media discussing the Theisman/Jaws move keep saying that both of them are way too technical. Personally I like that. I'd much rather hear a technical discussion of why a certain play was called against a certain scheme or whatever than a bunch of fluff.

The other thing they've been doing that's just ridiculous is bringing celebrities into the booth for like 15-30 minutes at a time. I really don't care to hear about Jay Z or Sly Stallone's latest work in the middle of the game.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People I've heard in the media discussing the Theisman/Jaws move keep saying that both of them are way too technical. Personally I like that. I'd much rather hear a technical discussion of why a certain play was called against a certain scheme or whatever than a bunch of fluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, I agree with you. I hate the dumbed-down, lowest common denominator of sports broadcasting. I would love some in-depth analysis. It's like comparing Norman Chad to Howard Lederer or Phil Gordon (as announcers). It's great listening to people who know what they're talking about and can actually teach me something.

Second, since when is Theisman technical? When does he ever say anything intelligent?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:21 AM

Theismann often says things that make me wonder (1) if he is watching the game and/or (2) if he knows anything about football. Seriously, I can't believe how dumb he sounds sometimes.

He also has a penchant for giving one piece of "analysis" and then completely contradicting himself later, with no one ever calling him on it. Drives me crazy.

Good riddance.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:15 PM

Jaws is the best at breaking down why NFL teams are doing what they do in certain situations. As someone who is aspiring to be a football coach, this is excellent news.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:18 PM

Location: Trapped in an alley in Abilene, with all but four shells spent

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be the lone dissenter here. I liked Theismann. Kornheiser basically makes MNF unwatchable for me. He is that big of a douchebag.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm almost with you. Tossing Kornheiser should have been a higher priority than chunking Theismann. Theismann's remarks made you pay attention so you wouldn't miss something totally goofy. Kornheiser's comments just made you wonder if you were already too drunk to walk to the kitchen to get another beer.

But the important question is: Will they still be able to find a third-rate celebrity to sit in the booth every week and allow the new threesome to completely avoid what is happening on the field?
Old 03-27-2007, 03:30 PM

the key with Tony is if he is just doing his schtick solo then he is annoying as hell. But if he has someone that will play along with him/call him on his [censored] when he's wrong/ etc etc then he isn't as annoying. Joe was terrible at this.

personally I'd rather have Wilbon in the booth over Tony if we were going to take someone from PI. But Jaws will def help things.

My booth would be Jaws, Tirico, Merril Hodge...if only to listen to the two argue back and forth about passing the ball vs. running the ball
Old 03-27-2007, 03:32 PM

Good move.

Now dump Kornheisher - a broadcast doesn't need a person to give fluffy "insight" on the meta game of football.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good move.

Now dump Kornheisher - a broadcast doesn't need a person to give fluffy "insight" on the meta game of football.

[/ QUOTE ]

In general I agree. I thought Kornheiser was pretty awful, but I'm afraid of who they'd find next since they seem to feel a nonfootball guy is necessary. I'm willing to give him another shot. I like him on PTI and I think the chemistry might be better with Jaws than it was with Joe.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:52 PM

To all of you guys saying Kornheiser is worse than Theismann, remember that last year was Tony's first whereas Joe has been doing this for a long time. One of them has a realistic chance to improve. It isn't Theismann.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:45 PM

At least Tony Kornheiser is better than Dennis Miller.