Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Top five most significant historical events of the past 2100 years

[ QUOTE ]

Im not 100% sold on Jesus ever existing, though i agree the balance of evidence is he probably existed in some form or another. I also think if we include on prophet we have to include all prophets. If he lived exactly as told in the Bible, i still believe his birth or death is not worthy of a top 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether he lived or not is irrelevant. Christianity is the basis of Western Civilization. Western civilization has had more influence over the course of History of the last 2000 years than any other.

I don't believe the birth of any of the prophets is really that important. It's what their followers did afterward that matters. That being said, the prophet Muhammad did a lot more to form and spread his religion than Jesus did.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:37 AM

I don't think you can mention WWII without bringing up WWI. In many ways, WWII was just extension of the first one. Ultimately, WWI had more influence on the World. WWII just fine tuned things a bit.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The assassination of Archduke Ferdinand

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooooo good one. I'd definitely add this to my top-20, but bonus points for being a one-day event.

-Diplomat
Old 04-19-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you can mention WWII without bringing up WWI. In many ways, WWII was just extension of the first one. Ultimately, WWI had more influence on the World. WWII just fine tuned things a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

WWI was much different from WWII in that WWI wasn't really a world war. The vast majority of the fighting was in Europe. Sure there were skirmishes in Africa and commerce raiding in the Pacific and Indian Ocean but Germany had zero chance of holding out there for any reasonable ammount of time. Vast tracts of the world were left relatively unaffected by the events of WWI campared to WWII. It only decided who would dominate the world for 30 years. After that, the winners of WWII, which was far from predetermined, would dominate the world thereafter.

WWI was definitely an important event but I wouldn't put it in the top five.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:53 AM

i'm rather surprised that so few people have noted the french revolution. the citizens of france simply overthrowing a system that had been in place for almost 1K years, along with having even more radical ideas for what democracy is compared to the US revolution. You also can't forget the scope of upheaval that was unprecedented in history
Old 04-19-2007, 12:55 AM

how the hell is the fall of Rome not on this list? and Constantines legalization of christianity and accepting of the religion is way more significant that anything of Christ's life.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

WWI was definitely an important event but I wouldn't put it in the top five.

[/ QUOTE ]

The aftereffects of WWI essentially created the Third Reich and brought Mussolini to power. It brought the sitzkreig to France and turned Britain into a battered wife. It made the US MORE isolationist than it already was.

So, I go back to:

The assassination of Archduke Ferdinand
Old 04-19-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WWI was much different from WWII in that WWI wasn't really a world war. The vast majority of the fighting was in Europe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but if you think about what came out of WWI the influence was enormous.

The modern middle east and all the problems the world is facing today because of it.

The Soviet Union.

The demise of the big Monarchies and the ruling class.

A pissed off Germany.

The rise of the military class in Japan.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm rather surprised that so few people have noted the french revolution. the citizens of france simply overthrowing a system that had been in place for almost 1K years, along with having even more radical ideas for what democracy is compared to the US revolution. You also can't forget the scope of upheaval that was unprecedented in history

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it didn't work.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the effects of the French Revolution were relatively isolated. There wasn't a wave of liberalism spread through the world much less Europe until much later. The autocrats won in the end.