Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Winner
Michigan 44 38.26%
Ohio State 71 61.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2007, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Executing Child Rapists

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm against the death penalty, but if someone rapes a child of mine I'll kill him if I can.

I'm opposed to vigilantism also, so no it doesn't make any sense. But at some point principles break apart for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words, you would let your desire overwhelm you, and you would act on that desire regardless of how destructive/immoral it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not. If I let desire overwhelm me I increase the risk of failing. Distanced thought and dry logic would serve far better. This isn't anger or emotion speaking on my part - this is simple choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you should be able to logically and rationally justify your actions, right?
Old 11-17-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm against the death penalty, but if someone rapes a child of mine I'll kill him if I can.

I'm opposed to vigilantism also, so no it doesn't make any sense. But at some point principles break apart for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words, you would let your desire overwhelm you, and you would act on that desire regardless of how destructive/immoral it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not. If I let desire overwhelm me I increase the risk of failing. Distanced thought and dry logic would serve far better. This isn't anger or emotion speaking on my part - this is simple choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you should be able to logically and rationally justify your actions, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

That I'd murder the molester in cold blood is a risk he brought upon himself. I wouldn't have a problem with turning myself in and taking my punishment afterwards either. I wouldn't support others who took this action and I don't see why I should try and justify myself doing it.

Breaking up my family would be the only concern I could see that would potentially stop me from killing him if the chance is there.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I am lucky that my sexuality is considered 'normal' by most people I come into contact with, but not everybody is that lucky, and I am sure we can agree that more than once in history someone has tried to 'cure' someone of homosexuality.

So why do we believe that the desires of this person can be altered any more than my desires to be physical with the opposite sex, or someone elses desires to be physical with the same sex or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Desiring to rape children is not something that comes natural. DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, please elaborate.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if we can accept that an offender's chance of reoffending can never be reduced to 0%, what is an acceptable chance of reoffending, where we can call a perpetrator rehabilitated?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. This is up to the market to decide
2. This has very little to do with my proposition

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't trying to argue with/against your propostition, but I believe my points are a natural progression from the points you raise.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That I'd murder the molester in cold blood is a risk he brought upon himself. I wouldn't have a problem with turning myself in and taking my punishment afterwards either. I wouldn't support others who took this action and I don't see why I should try and justify myself doing it.

Breaking up my family would be the only concern I could see that would potentially stop me from killing him if the chance is there.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'd never kill him. Ok. Thats kind of what I was getting at.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. Though, I can't understand your motivations. Then again, I don't have kids.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, words are easy, so I don't see it is a big thing to dwell over.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, words are easy, so I don't see it is a big thing to dwell over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. Which is why I agreed that I think the death penalty is wrong and that I would still WANT to kill him.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I am lucky that my sexuality is considered 'normal' by most people I come into contact with, but not everybody is that lucky, and I am sure we can agree that more than once in history someone has tried to 'cure' someone of homosexuality.

So why do we believe that the desires of this person can be altered any more than my desires to be physical with the opposite sex, or someone elses desires to be physical with the same sex or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, please elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't think of anything?
Old 11-18-2007, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, please elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't think of anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you're being deliberately criptic, or if I'm being undelebartely dumb, but I can't see what point you are trying to make.

Many people would make the following statement 'A mam desiring to have sex with another man is not something that comes natural. DUCY?

Are you saying the difference lies in the consentuality of the act? If so, how do you feel about a 45yr old man having consentual sex with a pre-pubesant 9ry old girl?