Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Review one whiskey

Went to dinner at the in-laws tonight. When I mentioned my increased desire for scotch, mom-in-law fetched from the garage an unopened bottle of Ballentine 12yo that she had been given BACK IN 1984!!!! If only it had spent that extra 23 years in a cask...

Not a bad drink. A honey/amber color, sweet smelling (caramel, vanilla). Mild to the tounge and a nice creamy feel in the mouth. A fine honey oak finish.
Compared to my last 3 reviews, I definitely prefer peatier, but I would happily drink this again.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:23 AM

Eagle Rare 10yr Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.

I drank about 1oz of it neat tonight. It is probably the smoothest I've ever had. Sweet and slightly "oaky." Not quite as sweet as JD single barrel but close if I recall correctly.

Price is about $30-$40 or so - very good bourbon.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:27 PM

Isle of Jura - Single Malt Scotch
A few years ago, my dad traveled regularly to Scotland on business. He brought back a ton of different scotches, and this one is my favorite. I'd describe it as the anti-Laphroaig: it has a sweet taste with hints of orange and butterscotch. But this is a real scotch with a smooth but discernable scotch (oak?) finish.

I'd recommend Isle of Jura to novice Scotch drinkers because of its smoothness, and to regular Scotch drinkers because of its complexitity and originality.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:32 AM

Bowmore 25 year

Sweet caramel-honey aroma, very drinkable and a great recommendation for a high-end Scotch that a relative novice might appreciate. A lot of "older" Scotches are pretty challenging and pungent, this one is quite drinkable. Not very peaty; not much iodine, rather quite smoky. Very, very, solid, and a great Scotch to offer someone as a celebratory drink.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:21 PM

Went to the liquor store today to pick up a Scotch on some recommendations here. My aim was the Oban 14 year, but when I spotted it the pricetag was $60. I'm a real scotch noob, so I really didn't want to jump into anything above $40 quite yet. We kept looking and my friend called his father for some recommendations. I spotted the Bellvanie 12 yr for $41, but his father recommended we start out with McClelland's highland scotch, which was only $24. He basically said any highland would be best for a beginner, so we grabbed the McClellands and some other junk and checked out.

It had a pretty mild aroma from what I can tell (I haven't smelled many other scotches and have tasted even fewer). I poured myself a bit and added some ice. Nothing really spectacular jumped out at me upon tasting and I'm still not really picking anything up. It is pretty mild, so I don't mind drinking it, but other all it is very bleh.

For $24 I guess it's ok, but nothing I would recommend. Not offensive, but not really great. My roomate is a bit more experienced and says it has a nice smokey aftertaste.

Anyone have any recommendations for me? Should I have definitely gone with the Belvanie? I am mainly looking for something that is pretty smooth (at least to start with)but still has some nice flavor
Old 03-04-2007, 01:57 AM

Clontarf Reserve Irish Whiskey
$24 at my local liquor store

This Irish is shockingly good for the price. Very smooth and malty. This one was reviewed in Money magazine and I tried it on a lark.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...mag/index.html

I also like George T Staggs bourbon, which is cask strength like Bookers. It is $65 or so. It has lots of flavor and is smooth.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is also The Caol Ila (18 year old is what I have, but they are all fairly good)

[/ QUOTE ]

I just had this at my friend's place, and enjoyed it quite a bit (I am relatively new to Scotch, so please take what I say with a grain of salt). Trying this inspired me to pick up a bottle of the Caol Ila (pronounced "cull-eela" I believe) 12.

Doing some research on the Internets, it appears that Caol Ila is one of the lesser known Islay distilleries (relative to Ardbeg, Laphroaig, and Lagavulin), but well regarded. I am not sure if this impacts pricing, I paid $55 for this at my local liquor store, Cap 'N' Cork.

Nose: Very smoky, pleasantly so. Some citrus undercurrents, and peaty.
Taste: Smoky and malty, fairly smooth drinking with some bite, rich and deep overall, also peaty. No noticeable citrus taste to me.
Overall: 8/10 I enjoyed this very much. The 18 was a notch better though.

-Al
Old 03-05-2007, 10:35 AM

I immediately liked the mild vanilla/honey scent that was mixed in with the good wooden aroma. When I asked my wifes opinion on the smell, she thought it had a hint of ceder also.
A creamy mellow long lasting sweet oak flavor. Very pleasing. So far, my favorite scotch.

Bevmo - $60
For $16, I got a 3 pack of nips which included the 12yo Doublewood (100% agree with ElD's OP review), and the 21yo Portwood (tonight's choice).
Old 03-06-2007, 10:01 AM

Wow, just wow!
This had a fruity nose, kinda raisiny with something like a pipe tobacco undertone.
It started with a mild sweet flavor that just kept building in the mouth, honey, woody, and a little nutty. This flavor stayed with me for quite a while.
I savored this one. I took almost 2 hours to drink just a nip bottle.

I just wish it wasn't $129 a bottle (bevmo). Oh, who am I kidding, I'll buy it anyways... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Blue Label

Blue Label.
It is about 200-250$ for 70cl.
Blended but only 25 year+ and mostly(95%) single malt.

This is my favourite whiskey though it is not single malt.
It has a very rich flavor and it tastes a little like black label and gold label if u tried them but is much more refined.

Not smoky at all(I love smoky whiskies otherwise).
It is easy to drink and even a beginner would like it.

Whisky is personal.
There are none that is best for anyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnnie_Walker

From Wikipedia
"Johnnie Walker Blue Label — Johnnie Walker's ultimate blend. Every bottle is serial numbered and sold in a silk-lined box, accompanied by a certificate of authenticity. Although no age is declared, it is believed many of the whiskies blended are aged for 50 to 60 years."