Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Re: My Generation

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess most of us have heard that John Mayer song, with the refrain that he's "keeping on waiting/Waiting for the world to change."

WT holy F is that??? Talk about weak. I remember hearing him talking about how he was so proud of the song and its message, and it was like I had gone through the looking glass or something. The guy is proud that he is resolved to see that there are problems in the world and do nothing? This is an attitude to be embraced? It used to be met with a guilty snicker and rolled eyes.

It definitely seems communicative of the attitude of a generation in an unflattering way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap. I'd not heard of this song before and your post made me look it up. I read the lyrics and they make me want to change the world by strangling this person.

That does seem reflective of his generation and it's pathetic.

Compare:

Douche

Non-douche

[/ QUOTE ]

-------------
Yup. We've lost a lot more than our culture generally acknowledges. There's always this one too.

Ohio
lyrics by Neil Young

--------

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
We're finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.

Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are gunning us down
Should have been done long ago.
What if you knew her
And found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know?

Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are gunning us down
Should have been done long ago.
What if you knew her
And found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know?

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
We're finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.
-------------------

Compare this sentiment to Mayer's pap:

write-up on the song

-----------On May 4, 1970, a student demonstration at Kent State, Ohio left four students dead, one paralyzed, and eight others wounded. This demonstration, meant to be one of many peaceful demonstrations against the war, was ended abruptly and violently when the National Guard fired into the crowd for 13 seconds. The brief shootings ended the lives of students Jeffrey Miller, Allison Krause, William Schroeder, and Sandra Scheuer. The distances ranged from 270 feet to 390 feet. Some of these students were not even directly involved. Justified or not by self-defense, the "massacre" sparked a nationwide student strike that closed many colleges and universities.

----------------
... statements such as high-profile California governor Ronald Reagan's declaration about student protests, given three weeks before the shootings ("If it takes a bloodbath, let's get it over with") as part of the events leading up to that fateful day.

-------------------------

"The events in Ohio seemed to mark the end of the Woodstock nation. From Song Facts:

"Crosby once said that Young calling Nixon's name out in the lyrics was 'the bravest thing I ever heard.' Crosby noted that at the time, it seemed like those who stood up to Nixon, like those at Kent State, were shot. Neil Young did not seemed scared at all."
-----------
"BH: No. I do recall that AM wouldn't play it and it was very controversial that AM wouldn't play it and FM, the underground, all the FM stations started playing it... and it got up in the 30s or so just with FM play and at that point FM was pretty underground and AM was the deal. But they tried to ban it."
----------------
More recently, from NCTimes.net, former basketball star and broadcaster Bill Walton, who participated in antiwar demonstrations while an All-American at UCLA, believes the Kent State tragedy should stay fresh.

"'It definitely should not be forgotten,'' said Walton. 'This is one of the bleakest moments in our country's history. It was a terrible, terrible thing, and you need to keep that story alive so it never happens again. "

--------------------
"It's still hard to believe I had to write this song. It's ironic that I capitalized on the death of these American students. Probably the most important lesson ever learned at an American place of learning. David Crosby cried after this take."
from liner notes of the Decade album

--------

Thanks for caring and sharing, John.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know soooo many people that were handed a silver platter of life, even when it meant the parents livelyhood would suffer. This includes getting a cell phone, ipod, laptop, car and many more extra's that this generation thinks is mandatory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been really surprised at the number of 20-somethings who have confided in me that their parents actually bought them a new car in h.s. or in college. My mom would never have done this even if she could have.

I've learned that in some towns (smaller towns in the midwest) it is common for families to buy their kids cars in h.s. It's almost peer pressure for the parents. Pretty crazy! Hope these kids remember their parents' generosity when they are old.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:33 PM

This isn't tremendously atypical in the better off Southern California communities either.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:09 AM

Blarg, you've got me angry at kids in their 20s now.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:19 AM

How old are you KotOD? Judging by your super troopers avatar I thought you would be atleast under 30. Bad assumption by me.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:23 AM

Phill - I thought you were older. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] You don't sound like a 23 yr old to me.

[ QUOTE ]

why were you floored a 23 year old would know Frasier!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I thought Frasier was an old peoples show! Isn't it an old peoples show? I can't picture a 23 yr old sitting down to watch an episode of it.

[ QUOTE ]

I once got a text from a lass i met at uni that i had to get translated, no joke, straight up needed a translator.

[/ QUOTE ]

So uh what exactly did she say, do you remember? (Inquiring minds need to know.)
Old 09-27-2007, 12:27 AM

Blarg, I think you are mostly right, but it doesn't really help to compare a bad song from one time period with a great song from another.

When I am old and cranky and telling my nephew how much his music sucks, I'm sure as [censored] not going to use John Mayer as my example of music from the aughts.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:33 AM

wow...you must have done too much drugs in our Neil Young days. first of all, there was plenty of crap music in "our generation", to pick out one of the better groups and songs is a ridculous comparison.

However, you should understand exactly what John Mayer is saying because you lived through it, but still dont get it. His point is, that just like us in the 60s/70s, the younger generation holds no power and is helpless to do anything. All of the protests and marches and SDS and Black Panthers meant nothing. The "waiting" JM is talking about is not waiting for someone to do something FOR him/them, its waiting until the generation has the power to do something for themselves and the world. Hopefully this younger generation grows up better than John Kerry and Nancy Pelosi.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

In the 60's and 70's, many parents wanted to kill or jail their kids or send them off to a war -- pretty much any war would have been good enough -- or at least do the same to someone else's. There was real intergenerational warfare and anger, and it was a terribly stupid and selfish way to live and think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why was there more intergenerational warfare during these decades? Did it have to do with the drug culture and the hippy attitudes or something? I guess to some degree I thought all generations had some intergenerational anger going.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Phill - I thought you were older. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] You don't sound like a 23 yr old to me.

[ QUOTE ]

why were you floored a 23 year old would know Frasier!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I thought Frasier was an old peoples show! Isn't it an old peoples show? I can't picture a 23 yr old sitting down to watch an episode of it.

[ QUOTE ]

I once got a text from a lass i met at uni that i had to get translated, no joke, straight up needed a translator.

[/ QUOTE ]

So uh what exactly did she say, do you remember? (Inquiring minds need to know.)

[/ QUOTE ]

really, i watched frasier when i was like 15