Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 07:31 PM

Default Re: High Quality H2O

[ QUOTE ]
wow i just realized i was mistaken regarding whether or not drinking distilled water is bad for you.

my chemistry teacher sophomore year explained that it was. however a search just now yeilded this answer to whether it is dangerous or not:

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, let me review for the record what distilled water is — it’s water that has been turned into steam so its impurities are left behind. The steam is then condensed to make pure water. The process of distillation kills and removes virtually all bacteria, viruses, heavy metals, and other organic and inorganic contaminants. Once distilled, the water is as pure as water can reasonably be.

For reasons I don't understand, any number of myths — some quite extreme — have grown up over the years about distilled water. A quick Internet search today will take you to sites that put forth such views as "distilled water leads to early death." Nonsense. One claim holds that distillation removes all of water's beneficial minerals. While it’s true that distillation removes minerals as well as various contaminants from water, we don't know that the human body can readily absorb minerals from water. We get our minerals from food, not water. By one manufacturer’s estimate, you would have to drink 676 eight-ounce glasses of tap water in Boston to reach the RDA for calcium.

Your question as to whether distilled water leaches minerals out of the body reflects another persistent myth. While pure water helps to remove minerals from the body that cells have eliminated or not used, it does not "leach" out minerals that have become part of your body's cell structure. Neither does distilled water cause your teeth to deteriorate, a false claim made by a filter manufacturer looking to boost sales. As far as acidity goes, distilled water is close to a neutral pH and has no effect on the body’s acid/base balance.

I hope I've set your mind at ease. Distilled water not only isn't dangerous, it’s the purest form of water. It’s also the kind of water I drink.

Dr. Andrew Weil

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is all very nice, but it doesn't address the problem, which is the fact that distilled water dissolves minerals before they "become a part of your body's cell structure".
Old 03-18-2006, 07:32 PM

Wal-mart water is by far the best. AINEC
Old 03-18-2006, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow i just realized i was mistaken regarding whether or not drinking distilled water is bad for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're confusing distilled water and deionized water. The latter is apparently quite reactive and will do unpleasant things to your GI tract. This was mentioned to me recently by a guy who runs a cleanroom at my university, where they have deionized water on tap. EDIT: Now I'm curious about this.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
we had some voss with dinner at dolce in la i believe.

it was pretty wet and all, but i think i will stick with my chewy hose water.

[/ QUOTE ]

these look like shampoo/conditioner bottles. has bottled water really gotten that gay looking?

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the water bottles they give you at strip clubs now.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:09 PM

Out of those, I've only really had multiple tastes of Dasani and Aquafina. They sell Dasani at school, so that's what I have to buy when I get water, and it never tastes quite right. I'd like to see how well I could do in a taste test between the two. I think I'd do ok.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:17 PM

Is water supposed to have a taste?
Old 03-18-2006, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you guys should watch Penn and Teller episode on bottled water, hilarious stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was gonna bring this up too. In case you don't know what this is about, what they did was bring together a bunch of water connoseiurs (sp?) and gave them each about 5 samples of water which they claimed were all from a different brand of high quality water and they wanted to see which they liked more. The results were standard with some of the people saying stuff like "oh yeah this one really tastes good " or "I can really taste the [whatever] in this one." Then, P&T revealed that all the samples were from the same hose in the back of the restaraunt. Not bad, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but the fact that they had people paying $7 a bottle and saying things like "Oh yes it's very French" as they pretended it was the equivalent of fine wine was what really sealed the deal.

Bottled water is not better than tap water. Not for taste. Not for cost. Not for health.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:00 PM

Gurger, maybe bottled water isn't better, but filtered water certainly is better.

There is a huge taste difference between the water from my kitchen tap and my Brita pitcher.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Volvic is far superior to all other waters. It has volcanicity.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is by far the best.

Also, Dasani sucks. There's so much crap added to that water it has a clearly distinct taste. I could tell the difference between Volvic and Dasani better than Coke and Pepsi.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is anyone here a water snob or conniseur who thinks they could easily discern between:

-expensive $30/bottle water
-moderately expensive spring water
-standard dasani/aquafina water
-filtered brita water
-tap water
-melted ice cubes

if so, i would be interested in getting a prop bet put together on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could do this, I'm sure.
Closed Thread