i'm really close to having abs again

[/ QUOTE ]

I recall this thread.

Let's see a shot of these abs!
Old 03-05-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Q&A, three part post: Lifting, lifestyles, nutrition, etc. **LONG*

[ QUOTE ]
nice thread...

you seem to emphasize having a good spotter which would be nice...but because i go to the gym alone and none of my friends really work out or can go on my schedule i have no spotter...so, ive begun using the smith machine for my bench/military/squats/lunges...any comments on using the smith machine?

thanks...

[/ QUOTE ]

here's my comment on the smith machine:

i thought i could bench press 280 LBS when I was 14 years old b/c I was benching on the smith machine.

then i went to a real bench press and was able to do like 175 or something.

smith machines are [censored] if you ask me, but they are decent for upright rows and one legged squats.

other than that, i hate them.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tx, my workout- thoughts? Basically I go three times a week (and have basketball on a 4th day) so it's either A/B/A or B/A/B depending on the week and generally looks something like this

A
Squat- 10/8/8/6/4 (reps)
Lat pull down 10/8/8/6/4
Pull ups 4 sets until I die
Shoulder press (free weights) 10/8/8/6/4
DB bicep curls 10/10/8/8
Incline bicep curls 10/10/8/8
Bicep curls using the machine, pulling up from the ground while standing 10/10/10
Ab stuff

B
Deadlift 8/6/6/6/4
Row 10/8/8/6/4
DB bench 8/8/8/6/6
Incline bench 8/8/8/6/6
Tricep curls 10/10/10
Tricep pulldown 10/8/8/6
Ab stuff

Given what you see, is there anything that needs to be added or anything than can afford to be removed?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

you're basically doing a full body workout in two workouts, which is no good for adding muscle. if you can, add a fourth day and try and only do two body parts per day. doing one exercise per body part isn't going to cut it either.

however, if you're just looking to maintain some sort of athleticism and not gain muscle tissue, this sounds fine to me.

but plz don't do back on two days. put your back exercises into one workout.

also try and substitute different exercises every other workout. i.e., leg press instead of squats, barbell curls instead of dumbell curls.

your body will grow accustomed to this workout and become stagnant to it. you need to change things around constantly so you can avoid this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I'm actually trying to gain some muscle, not just athletic performance strength. Link me to a good program? I'm sure you've outlined it a million times (probably even in this thread).

thanks
Old 03-05-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just leave it alone.

Are you sure they aren't doing stiff-legged deadlifts, though?

[/ QUOTE ]
well i just learned something new. I was under the impression that back rounding was always bad. that exrx site has a little write-up about the bent back version. ah well.

I was also under the impression that stiff-leg deadlifts still utilized a straight back.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:53 PM

A few more random additions to this thread:

1. Don't be afraid to ask a stranger for a spot. I've never had anyone refuse. Normally people are more than happy to help.

2. A 10 or 15 minute warm-up on the treadmill or bike is a great way to start a workout.

3. Weighted pull-ups and weighted dips are two of the most under appreciated exercises out there. If your gym doesn't have the belts with chains that loop through a plate go buy one for $30. Change up your grip on the pull-ups to work different muscle groups. (Wide grip, close grip, chin-up grip.)

4. If you’re a dude, don’t openly talk about working your “core.” As Blarg said, deads and squats will give you a six pack. Most additional abdominal work you do should involve some weight, e.g. weighted incline sit-ups or twists.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
gl w/ all that Muscle Milk

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any reason that everyone is ignoring this link?

I'm a bit concerned as I have a couple of tubs of muscle milk light and I'm not sure if I should finish them or not.

I did a bit of reading and found this: http://pogue972.blogspot.com/2006/09...scle-milk.html which makes things sound a bit better but not all that great, and from reading some of the t-nation thread it seems that the b6, b12, and folic acid in muscle milk may counteract the negative effects of glycocyamine.

Anyone on these boards knowledgeable about this who could maybe fill us in a bit more on how bad glycocyamine is? Also, I looked through the ingredients of muscle milk and was not able to find glycocyamine listed, what should I be looking for to determine whether this is in other protein powders?

PS - good thread Tx
Old 03-06-2007, 01:18 AM

I think your second link is a good explanation of the first. Remember t-mag is owned by a supplement company.

That said, I haven't researched glycocyamine enough to make a statement either way.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:11 AM

are we getting a freaking gym forum?

i feel like making some kind of public log since im starting a new program...today i did the first session of chad waterbury's 10x3 for fat loss routine from t-nation...interesting setup, im pretty sure i didn't lift heavy enough today, but for the first day in a routine im not too sure...
Old 03-06-2007, 05:13 AM

Please consider asking one of the mods to clean up this mess. Its getting a little unreadable with the russian nesting box theme you have going on.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your second link is a good explanation of the first. Remember t-mag is owned by a supplement company.

That said, I haven't researched glycocyamine enough to make a statement either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

as far as I know, MM stopped putting glycocyamine in their shakes.