Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Skalnsky\'s system said it was, relied upon early capital accumulat

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously you don't know the etymology of "Donkament"

Donk = DONK. Duh.
'ament" = Tournament

There are more donks in the WSOP ME than any other major tournament. Therefore not only is the WSOP ME a donkament, but it is the king of donkaments.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT
Old 08-20-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Skalnsky\'s system said it was, relied upon early capital accumulation

donkaments
Old 08-20-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: WSOP ME is not a donkament

[ QUOTE ]
This is just another way of saying that some market players believe in martet timing. Since you go on to say that 95% of these people go broke, I'm not sure what your point is, although I suspect you underestimate the percentage of market timers who end up broke. Even if you are right, though, since much fewer than 95% of the market players who pay primary attention to market fundamentals go broke, I'm doubly confused as to what your point is.

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm referring to prospective professional traders, not market-timers (whom I put in the category of investors).

The day-traders of the late 90s are a good example. This era was born by the advent of empowerment of individual off-floor traders by technology, such as real-time mm quotes, and access to electronic execution systems. Many of the pro day-traders devised low-risk strategies to very-short-term trade momentum stocks and IPOs and did phenomenally well for awhile. However, once the bubble began deflating and a number of major event risks hit the markets (911, LTCM,etc.), most of them did not adjust their style and went busto.

Right now we have a poker bubble, lots of dumb money flowing in. Some of the pros understand the risks of lots of dumb money floating around and are aware (1) that it's a golden opp to make hay while the sun shines and (2) that it can switch off abruptly and the game will change and require adjustment to survive. Others are not ...
Old 08-20-2007, 04:03 PM

this is seriously the dumbest thread i have ever read on 2p2, ever ever ever. ever. its just so dumb. its amazingly dumb. its impressively dumb tbh. kudos op, you are dumb. really dumb.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Sklansky traces poker acumen to roots as diligent coupon-clipper

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously you don't know the etymology of "Donkament"

Donk = DONK. Duh.
'ament" = Tournament

There are more donks in the WSOP ME than any other major tournament. Therefore not only is the WSOP ME a donkament, but it is the king of donkaments.

Also, for a reasonable proof: Jerry Yang won this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, now here someone actually gets closer to what's really interesting about all of this (even if inadvertently).

That the origin of "donkament" = "donk" + "tournament" is not the point.

The point is that in common usage "donkament" has become a pejorative, a term that conveys a lack of general lack of respect for the abilities of most anyone who does well in such tournaments.

However, in this poker bubble, nearly every non-invitational tournament could be labeled a "donkament". Perhaps the WSOP $50K HORSE is not, perhaps EPT Grand Final is not, but most all of the others are.

By lumping together nearly every major tournment into a single "donkament" category and discounting the abilities of anyone who has success in these "donkaments", one misses the point that the real opportunity for great tourney players in this poker bubble is the large-field large-purse tournies. Calling them "donkaments" is ok I guess, as long as you understand that they are not "donkaments" as in skill plays a diminshed role. It's the opposite: by any metric, these tournaments offer a greater payoff for application of real skill than any other.

Someone said "name" players play in highly visible tournaments for the endorsements. A recent interview with Carlos Mortensen disputes this. Carlos talks about the very high cost of playing on the live tourney circuit, how much of his profits must be plowed back into self-funding. Endorsements may help a little, but they are not the enabler.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When somebody makes a lousy post, which this OP sure is, let's all try and find more creative ways to inform him of that fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not just a lousy post, he is constantly trolling us
Old 08-20-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The fact that most world-class players play many WSOP events, and many big online tournaments, proves that these events in fact are not "donkaments" at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its the other way around. D U C Y?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That the origin of "donkament" = "donk" + "tournament" is not the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's missing the point?

[ QUOTE ]
The point is that in common usage "donkament" has become a pejorative, a term that conveys a lack of general lack of respect for the abilities of most anyone who does well in such tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, when I live in a fantasy land its usually a happy place.

[ QUOTE ]
However, in this poker bubble, nearly every non-invitational tournament could be labeled a "donkament". Perhaps the WSOP $50K HORSE is not, perhaps EPT Grand Final is not, but most all of the others are.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're all donkaments.

[ QUOTE ]
By lumping together nearly every major tournment into a single "donkament" category and discounting the abilities of anyone who has success in these "donkaments",

[/ QUOTE ]

What, you are not making any sense?

[ QUOTE ]
Calling them "donkaments" is ok I guess, as long as you understand that they are not "donkaments" as in skill plays a diminshed role. It's the opposite: by any metric, these tournaments offer a greater payoff for application of real skill than any other.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol donkaments

Please tell me I'm just being leveled. This is indeed the stupidest thread ever. Or is this seriously a crusade to control pop-culture language usage based on your own insecurities? Seriously?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:55 PM

from the Urban Dictionary

1. donkament

A donkament is a poker game where everyone starts with the same number of chips, and then plays poker until someone has accumulated all the chips. Donkaments are known for having a large number of unskilled players as compared to cash games. For example, while many cash game players may fold QQ preflop, this hand should never be folded preflop in a donkament because people will go all in with a lot more hands than just AA and KK.

I got allin preflop with AA, and this guy called me with 7-2 offsuit. Lol donkaments.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
from the Urban Dictionary

1. donkament

A donkament is a poker game where everyone starts with the same number of chips, and then plays poker until someone has accumulated all the chips. Donkaments are known for having a large number of unskilled players as compared to cash games. For example, while many cash game players may fold QQ preflop, this hand should never be folded preflop in a donkament because people will go all in with a lot more hands than just AA and KK.

I got allin preflop with AA, and this guy called me with 7-2 offsuit. Lol donkaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, they really have everything.