Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Odd / weird foods you eat, most people haven\'t heard of

[ QUOTE ]
there is nothing odd or weird or unusual about jamaican patties

[/ QUOTE ]

I had never heard of these in my life before this thread.

[ QUOTE ]

i would say the oddest thing i eat is peanut butter and honey sandwiches.

[/ QUOTE ]

The key with these is to make them on toast, and apply the PB and honey the instant the bread comes out of the toaster so they melt into it. So [censored] good.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:34 PM

anybody else eat sauerkraut balls.

its kraut, pork and ricotta rolled up and covered with bread crumbs and fried or baked. possibly the best food ever.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:37 PM

Something that I had a lot as a kid that some people find strange is cream cheese and jelly. This was a typical sammich for me in grade school. I think this isn't too uncommon though?

The uncommon one we had as kids was peanut butter and mint jelly. My older brother was at my grandparents house and they were out of regular jelly so he asked for mint jelly [and he loved the color green] so he had it and loved it and it has lived on for a long time in our family. Not too crazy, but most people think its odd when they see it and I enjoy one from time to time.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:14 PM

gruel.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:50 PM

more like gruoss
Old 09-22-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Haggis is sheep heart, lungs, liver mixed with oatmeal and stuffed in the sheep's stomach bag.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol noob this is totally palatable.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there is nothing odd or weird or unusual about jamaican patties

i would say the oddest thing i eat is peanut butter and honey sandwiches. i also dip potato chips in ketchup which people seem to think is very odd, but it makes perfect sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Peanut butter and honey seems pretty standard to me. Very much like PB&J really. At least I always thought so.

I really like honey on toasted bread, but it can't be too lightly toasted. Let it sit for a while so it's chewy but not soft, and it's great. As good for the texture as the taste. Not sure why honey seems to do that better than jelly.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:32 PM

Harder to think of stuff people haven't heard of, than stuff that most people don't eat.

I guess most people haven't had or heard of the Japanese dish shabu shabu. You sit around a bar and each seat has a heater at the back of the bar that you boil some water in. You get a plate full of veggies and meat and you add sauces to make your broth. You throw some veggies in earlier too cook through, and some more delicate kinds later to keep them still crisp. Broth winds up pretty good at the end. The meat is sliced really thin, and you put it in for a very short time, as you go while eating your soup. Spoon the whole mess into a separate bowl, then dip the small portions of meat you cook as you go in bowls of different dipping sauces you can flavor to taste. Keep going until all the meat is gone, then dump noodles into the broth quickly to heat them up, the last of the veggies, and eat the veggie/noodle soup.

Also, I really like the plate of mixed pickled veggies called oshinko. The Japanese pickle all kinds of stuff and it comes out really good. They tend to pickle it only long enough so that it's still crunchy. Pickled spinach is one of my favorites, but it's all pretty good and worth trying.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i would say the oddest thing i eat is peanut butter and honey sandwiches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call, NT...those are great. One of my favorites is Saltibarsciai, Lithuanian Cold Beet Soup. It's made from a base of buttermilk. Awesome in the summer:

Saltibarsciai
(Lithuanian Cold Beet Soup)
This traditional Lithuanian soup (meaning "cold beet soup") is stuffed with crisp and tender textures--all of them bold in flavor--and delivered in a refreshingly cold and sour buttermilk broth. Serve ice cold as a light summer meal to 4-6 people with fresh boiled potatoes, also sprinkled with dill.

* 8 cups cold buttermilk
* 1 medium cucumber, sliced into thick matchsticks
* 3 medium beets, boiled, peeled, and cut into thick matchsticks
* 2 eggs, hardboiled, sliced into matchstick shapes
* 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
* 1 Tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
* salt and pepper
Garnish: chopped fresh dill

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks spectacular but I'm finding it hard to picture the flavor.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Something that I had a lot as a kid that some people find strange is cream cheese and jelly. This was a typical sammich for me in grade school. I think this isn't too uncommon though?

The uncommon one we had as kids was peanut butter and mint jelly. My older brother was at my grandparents house and they were out of regular jelly so he asked for mint jelly [and he loved the color green] so he had it and loved it and it has lived on for a long time in our family. Not too crazy, but most people think its odd when they see it and I enjoy one from time to time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm one of the few people I know who love mint in most everything, but even I would hesitate to mix it with peanut butter. The cream cheese and jelly sandwich is very good.