Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 06:15 AM

Default Re: Ask a College Basketball Coach

what % of your bankroll would you be willing to put up choosing one shooter on your team vs. me in a 3 point shootout?
Old 10-06-2007, 06:17 AM

what would your plan be to move up thru the ranks to become a D1 head coach as fast as possible?

also, you mentioned that as your goal.(being a D1 head coach) do you just want to coach any D1 team?
Old 10-06-2007, 06:51 AM

Default Re: Ask a College Basketball Coach *DELETED*

Post deleted by Yeti
Old 10-06-2007, 10:10 AM

This is a great thread OP, well done.

What is the one NCAA rule (whether game rule, recruiting, coaching, whatever) that you would like to change, and why?
Old 10-06-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what % of your bankroll would you be willing to put up choosing one shooter on your team vs. me in a 3 point shootout?

[/ QUOTE ]

approx what % (out of a 100) can you make?
Old 10-06-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
we dont compete with them

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
am currently an assistant coach at a Division 1 University in Texas.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK

[/ QUOTE ]Does Florida compete with Florida International. I do not coach at a large school.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How did you get this job? What are you qualifications for a coaching job besides being a player? Have you read " the 7 habits of highly effective people"?

[/ QUOTE ]I got the job because I previously worked for current Kentucky head coach Billy Gillispie while he was at Texas A&M...I was the Assistant Director of Basketball Operations for a year at A&M, and much of what I do now I did there as well.

I have not read that book, although I do own it and plan to read it during Christmas Break..My favorite coaching books are The Pyramid of Succes (Wooden), Leading with the Heart and Beyond Basketball (Coach K), and The Carolina Way (Smith)
Old 10-06-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a non-American it seems strange to me that college basketball and American football draw such a big audience, when there are also top level professional leagues in the same games. What is the attraction of these sports when played at college level?

edit: for example, why is there no such following for college baseball?

[/ QUOTE ]I think much of the attraction is because the students/alumni of each school have a team they already feel connected to...there is more loyalty to a school you spent 4+ years at than a team that just happens to be in your city.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is he D1A or AA?

Sorry to [censored] on your thread, but this seems a lot like, "Ask a high school bball coach." The way this particular thread works best is with the details: finances, recruiting tricks, scheduling practices to get around NCAA regs, mentoring kids away from home and into the college environment for the first time, etc. Refusing to say what teams you compete with and giving platitudes like, "Oh, all our players meet academic requirements!" takes all of the wind out of the thread.

[/ QUOTE ]There is no 1-AA in college basketball...we are a small Div 1 university.

You really want to reveal my school and then talk about recruiting tricks and getting around NCAA regulations? LOL at that thought process.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How much is the biggest "guanrentee" pay day you've had?

[/ QUOTE ]80K

[ QUOTE ]
Is it hard to find games?

[/ QUOTE ]Its not hard to find people that want to play, it is difficult to figure out dates, home/away schedule, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
What is the atmosphere like in the last few game sbefore the conference tourny? Is the team only looking forward to that since thats their last chance to qualify for the postseason (assuming you are in a conference).

[/ QUOTE ]The games get much more competetive during the second half of conference play since all of the teams are either battling for a better seed in the Conf Tourney (yes we are in a conference) or still trying to get in the tourney.