Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Re: DVD Discussion: Before Sunrise

oh no, now I don't want to watch it. I read the first couple lines of Dom's post.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh no, now I don't want to watch it. I read the first couple lines of Dom's post.

[/ QUOTE ]

???

It's a fantastic movie in every way...don't let the fact that parts a little sad stop you from watching a classic...
Old 06-30-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

katy, it's worth it. everyone here will agree with that. While there are some very melacholy aspect to the film, there is just so much greatness in it, and the ending is well, perfect. There are so many great lines and moments that you are brought through the emotional wringer. what can I say, this film makes me feel if someone touched me I'd disolve into molecules
Old 07-01-2007, 12:24 PM

Before Sunset

Well I finally watched it and I'm floored by the ending. Are these two the most likable people ever or what? Who wouldn't want either of them in their lives? They are both so touching and intelligent. God, I miss having that kind of rapid fire conversation and emotional connection. It’s not even so much the romantic aspect; it’s much more the true friendship and ease with which the main characters move into each other’s lives and heads and how they adore the friendship…how they enjoy hearing about each other’s feelings and disappointments. The awesome repartee. Man do I appreciate that.

I don't know why I thought Dom was saying that this movie had a melancholy ending but I did. So I sat there the entire time bracing myself for it. And I kept thinking oh my god there had better be an exchange of phone numbers this time and lots of them (like here’s my work number and here’s my cell number and my mom’s number, lol [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ) or I’m never watching another Ethan Hawke movie again in my life. And I waited and waited.

I thought the script was wonderful and the acting was real and captivating just like the first movie. Totally impressed that Hawke and Delpy helped write the screenplay.

When they are walking along the streets of Paris and Jesse brings up how they made love in the park and Celine insists that they did not, well, I wasn’t buying it (and I hate to admit that I was slightly disappointed). NO girl would forget such a thing. Even after 9 years. So later in the car when she gets upset and says “We had sex twice, you idiot,” I was like alright, now THIS is more like it. Her changing behavior, her willingness to finally reveal how invested she had been in that one night and how it had dimmed her chances of future relationships, well it was just so moving and realistic.

I agree that the car scene was brilliant and heartbreaking. She was hurt and upset and I think a lot of us could relate. “Guys leave me to marry someone else and then call me up later and thank me for teaching them how to love,” (or something like that). Beautifully acted by Delpy. How many of us girls can relate to this sentiment! Jesse’s reaction was sweet, he had such expression on his face, bewilderment and empathy and wanting so badly to comfort her but knowing that anything he tried to say would contribute to her hurt.

My favorite part was the ending (of course!). I really loved watching Delpy play the guitar for Jesse. Oh my god, for me this is one of the great moments in cinema and I think I will remember it always. He looked incredibly happy and I was happy for him.

I’m pretty sure I know how it all turns out in the end. In the end he moves to Paris to be with her.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:30 PM

Katy - glad you loved it as much as me! The part you mentioned about her pretending to forget they had sex and then getting mad about it in the car rings so true to me - girls are just like that: bewilderingly illogical and emotional and wonderful.

I rewatched it yesterday, too...I so want to go to Pais and find that girl, dammit.

"You're going to miss your plane."
"...I know."
Old 07-01-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"...I know."

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

This may turn out to be my favorite 2 lines ever. (and Dom, don't you just love her singing voice?)
Old 07-01-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"...I know."

[/ QUOTE ]

This may turn out to be my favorite 2 lines ever. (and Dom, don't you just love her singing voice?)

[/ QUOTE ]

she's great...i think i've had a crush on her since i first saw her in Europa Europa as a Nazi temptress! You do know she actually wrote the song she plays and sings, right?
Old 07-01-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"...I know."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved those two lines myself. When the movie ended there I thought to myself "this has to be one of the best endings I have ever seen".
What a powerful, brilliant and touching movie.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:01 PM

I really love these movies!
Old 07-02-2007, 06:21 AM

Just watched Before Sunset, gonna do some freestyle writing.

Let me sing you a waltz. Wow how I love Julie Delpy. Or rather Celine. Really my perfect woman. I feel like this movie makes me confident in what I'm doing. Filmmaking at its best is such an incredibly powerful art. Sure you can look at a painting for hours, days, years, but will it change your life? Maybe but in an obscure non-momentous way. Well, maybe somepaintings can. I don't know I just feel that film is a combination of many arts and holy crap when they are all used so wonderfully together as they are in Before Sunset it becomes something magical. Honestly, everytime i watch this movie I feel like a better person. Change the world? Yea, maybe movies can help, just maybe. Linklater is aGod.

The car scene wow! So good, and the little things like Delpy said are incredible. Her reaching out to touch him, while he loks away (sort of like his dream but reversed), it's such a small thing and easily missed... but it's incredibly powerful. It's the kind of movie moment that makes me giddy inside and I clap like a little girl [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Also, how funny is little cross-eyed Celine? Lol.

I wonder what happens after the movie? Does he go back to his wife? I could think not. Does he stay in Paris to live with Celine? Maybe, but what about his kid. Real life is just so compilcated, and not everything is gonna work out alright. Nobody's life is perfect, nobody's. But what is perfect? Moments in people's lives. I love how it ends, because it doesn't matter what happens after, that moment is perfect and forever will be.

I think a lot about the present... this "great future". Poker made me that way, and its one of the biggest reasons why I think poker is so awesome. Such an allegory for life you know? You always have to put your all in poker, not letting the past affect you (tilt). The present right? The moment. A theory I've held for a long time, or kind of a whay of looking at life you know. A point in math terms is an infinitely small thing that doesn't even have mass. Kind of life the moments of our lives. There but ever fleeting, with a new point coming after it and disappearing. Well life to me is like a circle. From out of nothingness we come, and so begins the circle. Point after point develops along the circle until all the moments of our life turn from massless points into a full shape, a circle. I think it's our job, the way to live is to fully realize every point in our life, or at least try to. I think zoning out to a friends marathon is more of a half point moment and spending a night on the seine with a french girl is more of a full point, if that makes any sense.

I just love these two movies so much. About the first movie's fortune teller, that was one of my favorite parts of it. I think it was because of the we are all stardust line. It relates to another theory of mine (God the point at the beginning of time, the singularity from which the big bang came, and now we are all stardust, or we are all God). I'm rambling but it's a freestyle so hahahahha, suck it! jk.

Say stop, finger wag, stop, middle finger... I'm so gonna do that all the time now. What else can I say about this movie? I don't know, recommend it to all your friends.