Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Dinosaurs on Mars?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

DING DING!

We have a winner.

You cannot accurately carbon date anything more than a few thousand years old. And it has many weaknesses due to carbon "pollution" that is introduced in so many environments.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many is a 'few?'

I'm interested in your "Science rules when its on my side" explanation for why the conventional 50,000 year upper limit (and thats conservative) is faulty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Science is not the enemy. Scientific zealots hell-bent on discrediting the bible no matter how ridiculous their claims are the enemy.

I rather enjoy science.

[/ QUOTE ]

So...you agree that a 'few' is 50 and that the Biblical account of a 6-10k year Earth is entirely incompatible with science? Since science isn't the enemy, after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

You assume that I'm drunk on the 6k creationist kool-aid.

You can keep thinking that if it makes you feel better, but it's just not the case.

However, I DO think that it's ridiculous to not belive in a "God" but be willing believe that our planet is made of 18 billion year old stardust from when the universe "hatched" out of nothing and that human beings decended from fish who descended from random chemical compounds that organized themselves into the most complex mechanism on the planet, a cell, these compounds were of course formed from the runoff of wet rocks which apparently materialized from nowhere.

You can call me what you wish, but I just find it a little odd that I'M the diluded one.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:40 PM

No one ever chimed in on this question of mine:

[ QUOTE ]
Can you please explain to me how a 45 ton, 90 foot long, 45 foot high Brachiosaurus can take in enough oxygen through nostrils the size of a modern day horse? Have you ever tried breathing for any length of time out of a straw only 2 mm in diameter?

Think about that, and you've got a much larger problem on your hands than fitting a dinosaur on a boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one wants to take a stab at it?
Old 05-23-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No one ever chimed in on this question of mine:

[ QUOTE ]
Can you please explain to me how a 45 ton, 90 foot long, 45 foot high Brachiosaurus can take in enough oxygen through nostrils the size of a modern day horse? Have you ever tried breathing for any length of time out of a straw only 2 mm in diameter?

Think about that, and you've got a much larger problem on your hands than fitting a dinosaur on a boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one wants to take a stab at it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont get it, you dont believe that dinosaurs ever existed?
Old 05-23-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

DING DING!

We have a winner.

You cannot accurately carbon date anything more than a few thousand years old. And it has many weaknesses due to carbon "pollution" that is introduced in so many environments.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many is a 'few?'

I'm interested in your "Science rules when its on my side" explanation for why the conventional 50,000 year upper limit (and thats conservative) is faulty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Science is not the enemy. Scientific zealots hell-bent on discrediting the bible no matter how ridiculous their claims are the enemy.

I rather enjoy science.

[/ QUOTE ]

So...you agree that a 'few' is 50 and that the Biblical account of a 6-10k year Earth is entirely incompatible with science? Since science isn't the enemy, after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

You assume that I'm drunk on the 6k creationist kool-aid.

You can keep thinking that if it makes you feel better, but it's just not the case.

However, I DO think that it's ridiculous to not belive in a "God" but be willing believe that our planet is made of 18 billion year old stardust from when the universe "hatched" out of nothing and that human beings decended from fish who descended from random chemical compounds that organized themselves into the most complex mechanism on the planet, a cell, these compounds were of course formed from the runoff of wet rocks which apparently materialized from nowhere.

You can call me what you wish, but I just find it a little odd that I'M the diluded one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop dancing. Do you think the Earth was created 6-10k years ago or not? You don't get to have your cake and eat it too.

If you answer no to the previous question, are you one of these science zealots who is intent on disproving the Bible no matter how silly your position becomes? Why or why not?
Old 05-23-2007, 08:12 PM

Yes.

But I freely admit I do not feel quite as strongly about that topic as I do about my ancestors not having tails.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes.

But I freely admit I do not feel quite as strongly about that topic as I do about my ancestors not having tails.

[/ QUOTE ]

So when you said you weren't drinking the 6kyo kool-aid, that was.....bluster? Or you just really didn't feel like addressing my question about the limits of carbon dating?
Old 05-23-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

So when you said you weren't drinking the 6kyo kool-aid, that was.....bluster? Or you just really didn't feel like addressing my question about the limits of carbon dating?

[/ QUOTE ]

Before I respond to this, can you show me some things that were carbon dated to 50000 years old? Or 25k?

I'm sure you can, but I'd like to see.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Before I respond to this, can you show me some things that were carbon dated to 50000 years old? Or 25k?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I know this is the preferred tactic of your ilk, never put forth your own position, merely attack the position of others, keep them constantly on the defensive, and hope that through persistent attacks and constant nitpicking it will give the superficial appearance that you are making honest points and that the other person is struggling to support their side. I'm not interested in that, at least not right now.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:47 PM

I do have to thank you for your post, however, since your comment about your ancestors having tails caused me to go searching to learn more about human beings born with tails. Really interesting stuff!
Old 05-23-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I know this is the preferred tactic of your ilk, never put forth your own position, merely attack the position of others, keep them constantly on the defensive, and hope that through persistent attacks and constant nitpicking it will give the superficial appearance that you are making honest points and that the other person is struggling to support their side. I'm not interested in that, at least not right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

2/10