9 USF
10 WVU
11 Mizzou
12 USC
13 VTech
14 Kentucky
15 Georgia
16 Texas
17 USC (originally thought they should be lower before looking @ who lost)
18 Rutgers
19 Virginia
20 Cal
21 Michigan
22 PSU
23 Auburn
24 Alabama
25 UConn

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty funny that you'd leave South Carolina out of the poll just because I've pointed out how wrong you are. Sorry if I've gotten to you that badly.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: College Football Rank \'em --- Week 8

I see Sagarin has Kansas at number 2. They are also higher than, say, OSU in the Predictor. I realize Sagarin and his rankings are smarter than me, but that seems really weird. I just can't believe KU would be favored over OSU.

Also, ND is ranked behind Duke, Stanford, Air Force, and Navy.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:33 PM

Well, to be fair, their win at Kansas State was better than any win that BC, Arizona State, or Ohio State has this year. And they've blown out their weak opponents better than OSU has. If you go just by what they've accomplished this season, Kansas would have to be at least Top 5.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, to be fair, their win at Kansas State was better than any win that BC, Arizona State, or Ohio State has this year. And they've blown out their weak opponents better than OSU has. If you go just by what they've accomplished this season, Kansas would have to be at least Top 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess, but their schedule is MUCH weaker (117th I think). Also I at a certain point size of blowout doesn't matter. 31-0 or 56-7 against a patsy isn't that different. Maybe I'm biased because it's Kansas/Big 12 North, although the Big Ten is obviously not a juggernaut itself.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:00 PM

Also, ASU is number 3, hmmmm. I actually do agree with the predictor's rating of LSU at 6 though.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Michigan is not worse than 6 SEC teams. They had 2 terrible games while their young defense started the season. At this point, with Hart and Henne healthy, which it appears they will be by the time they need them, it's pretty terrible having them at 22.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I have Michigan ahead of Georgia at #20, but still #22 is far from ridiculous. They've looked great the last two weeks, but you have to look at the whole season. They lost to App State, got pounded by Oregon (31 points, remember?), trailed Northwestern in the 4th quarter and played a close game with 2-6 Eastern Michigan.

When your best wins are over two fringe Top 30 teams, you've got two close wins against teams outside the Top 70, and you've got a loss to a I-AA team, it's hard to say you deserve much better than the 20-25 range.

[/ QUOTE ]

ASU is one thing, but Oregon is really, really good

[/ QUOTE ]
no defense

[/ QUOTE ]

They're still good. I'd say the best in the Pac 10.

They also play in a conference with really good offenses.

b
Old 10-21-2007, 04:06 PM

Our schedule is weak, but this isn't the Big 12 North of the past couple of years. In fact, I think the Big 10 is a pretty solid comparison.

Clone the Big 12 North and I think it'd be similar to the Big 10 this year. Actually.. what the heck, I'll go team-by-team.

KU v OSU - B10
KU v UM - 12N
MU vs PSU - 12N
MU vs Illinois - 12N
KSU vs Wisconsin - B10
KSU Purdue - ??
CU vs MSU - ??
CU vs Indiana - 12N
NU vs Iowa - B10
NU vs Northwestern - ??
ISU vs Minnesota - ??

I'm coming up with 4-3-4 for the B12 North. Sagarin would put it at 11-0 for the North I believe.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Michigan is not worse than 6 SEC teams. They had 2 terrible games while their young defense started the season. At this point, with Hart and Henne healthy, which it appears they will be by the time they need them, it's pretty terrible having them at 22.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I have Michigan ahead of Georgia at #20, but still #22 is far from ridiculous. They've looked great the last two weeks, but you have to look at the whole season. They lost to App State, got pounded by Oregon (31 points, remember?), trailed Northwestern in the 4th quarter and played a close game with 2-6 Eastern Michigan.

When your best wins are over two fringe Top 30 teams, you've got two close wins against teams outside the Top 70, and you've got a loss to a I-AA team, it's hard to say you deserve much better than the 20-25 range.

[/ QUOTE ]

ASU is one thing, but Oregon is really, really good

[/ QUOTE ]
no defense

[/ QUOTE ]

They're still good. I'd say the best in the Pac 10.

They also play in a conference with really good offenses.

b

[/ QUOTE ]
It is definitely going to be decided this weekend. USC is mostly healthy again so this is not going to be the team that barely beat UW and Zona and lost to Stanford. I think a healthy USC is a top 5 team they can prove it this weekend. Their major problem is penalties but this team is really young and they are getting better at that game to game. God I can't wait for the game this weekend.

Some other thoughts, Ohio State makes a ton of mistakes at the end and squeaks by against Mich St who might be a top 40 team barely? They have been blowing everyone else out so I guess they are entitled to one slip up game. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come though. I have felt Ohio State really hasn't proven anything yet because of the cupcake schedule. Are they as good as an LSU or an Oregon? It looks like we'll never know until their bowl game.

I posted earlier than I thought I agreed with the Sagarin Predictor's rating of LSU at 6. I take this back they are a top 5 team definitely, but I'm not sure exactly where. I have not seen a convincing win from them in 4 weeks now.

LSU now has the easy part of their schedule left so they should win out. We are definitely heading for the biggest [censored]-storm of all time as far as the BCS goes. Its looking like Ohio State will go undefeated against an absurdly easy schedule and lock a spot in the NCF. Who else? One loss LSU? One loss Oregon or USC (whoever wins this weekend I believe takes the conference)? Undefeated BC (if they can beat Vtech) or Kansas (if they can beat Missou)?
Old 10-21-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Some other thoughts, Ohio State makes a ton of mistakes at the end and squeaks by against Mich St who might be a top 40 team barely? They have been blowing everyone else out so I guess they are entitled to one slip up game.

[/ QUOTE ]

it wasn't a slip up game. they completely dominated michigan state. there was a span of 50 seconds or so where things went crazy and that was it.

the only problem with ohio state is an offense that is a 6.5 to 7.0 on a scale of 1 to 10.

the defense so far has been outstanding
Old 10-21-2007, 05:31 PM

How WVU can be #6 in the AP while USF is #11 boggles my mind. Who has WVU beat in the BE to date?