Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 06:58 PM

Default Re: I\'m going to get flamed: Day Job vs. Poker...

[ QUOTE ]
Do whatever makes you happy, but realize that a small percentage of players make money over a long period of time. A lot of young adults have made major life changes since this recent explosion of poker in the media, and the sad reality is a majority of these people will eventually go broke.

A 250k bankroll in your early 20s is sure nice, but with no job experience and a turn of the poker gods, your roll can be exterminated easier than you think. Many people are riding the wave right now, but as the old saying goes, what goes up most come down. That steady 60k a year job with benefits sure won't seem so pointless once that happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do I get the feeling you don't know what the [censored] you're talking about.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:01 PM

I say take a shot, but be smart about it. You don't want to grow up to be a grumpy old fart and keep asking yourself, 'what if?'
Old 08-03-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That steady 60k a year job with benefits sure won't seem so pointless once that happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we're gonna talk about fantasy land... How many kids out of school make this kind of money?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not many right out of school, but the point is after 5-6 years of working experience and a degree, they are atleast somewhere near the ballpark. Whereas an ex-pro of 5-6 years who dropped out and busted his roll has no degree, and no resume aside from playing poker.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:34 PM

A friend of mine who has his own business gave me a good quote the other day. He said until you treat making money like a hobby you will never be very good at it.

Make poker your hobby and it will probably be easier on your mental state

Also jobs arent all they are cracked up to be. Your employer can hire /fire you at will and most people get "downsized" about 7 times during their working career usually without much warning. There is no loyalty on the part of employers nor employees for that matter

The American dream really is to start your own business. You can decide how successful you want to be because as long as you have someone else signing your paycheck you are never really in control of your financial destiny.

my .02
Old 08-03-2007, 07:37 PM

One more note

Dont worry about the gaps in your resume.

You can usually explain that away as you had a sick family member to take care of, you were in a Turkish prison, etc
Old 08-03-2007, 08:22 PM

The problem with these discussions of poker versus work is that they never specify how much money the poker player will be making.

This is understandable since poker income is so unpredictable from year to year.

Nevertheless it is essential to the discussion. If you are going to be making $50k a year playing poker, one could make some reasonable arguments for pursuing a more conventional career instead.

If one makes ~$1M or more a year playing poker, then the discussion is pretty much over before it starts for anyone with normal career options.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im 21 and im not a pro although poker is my only source of income

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Uh, if poker is your only source of income you are, by definition, a pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

i just looked up the definition and I found this,

1.following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain; following as a business an occupation ordinarily engaged in as a pastime eg. professional golfer

under this definition, yes I am a pro.

I look at pro poker players more under this definition though.

2.an expert player, as of golf or tennis, serving as a teacher, consultant, performer, or contestant; pro.

under this definition i do not think I am a pro, because I would not consider myself an "expert".

Do most people consider anyone who's only income being poker a pro? or do you have to make a certain $/hr or $/yr?

I ask this because although poker is my only income, when people as me if i have a job i say no. I would never be like "ya, im a pro poker player".
Old 08-03-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do most people consider anyone who's only income being poker a pro? or do you have to make a certain $/hr or $/yr?

I ask this because although poker is my only income, when people as me if i have a job i say no. I would never be like "ya, im a pro poker player".

[/ QUOTE ]
Its simple. If you live at home with parents, and you play to put a few bucks in your pocket, but not enough for you to fully support yourself then you are not a pro.

You would need to be able to provide your own housing, pay all of your bills, provide food for yourself and keep clothes on your back, and still win enough to maintain this cycle to be considered a pro.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im 21 and im not a pro although poker is my only source of income

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Uh, if poker is your only source of income you are, by definition, a pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

no he could just be running good obv
Old 08-03-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL at people that roll through life with no plan.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL at people who never deviate from the expected norm.